U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 60,777 times

Advertisements

I am interested in living in the Wyoming area particular, Buffalo, Kaycee, Midwest, Glenrock or Evansville areas. Can someone describe to me what to expect? I am fron Kentucky and have lived here all my life. I was raised in a town with a population of 600 and work in a neighboring town with a population of 2000. I enjoy rodeos, horseriding and farming, just a quiet simple life is what I am looking for. Also, how is the employment there for women and office jobs? I will graduate college this year with a business degree, hoping to find something out that way. Is living afforadable in the places that I have listed? Thanks to anyone with any help, I greatly apprecaite it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 PM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Buffalo is a good bet. Small town but does have some business there.

Kaycee, Midwest are really small and the only business there is life support. haha Grocery stores, grain elevator, liquor store, motel is about it.

Sheridan is another nice place. 15,000 people but a small town atmospher. Can't tell you much about Evansville. I lived in Glenrock 30 years ago. Worked construction 12 hour shifts. So couldn't tell you much about it either. I was either working or sleeping.

Kaycee and Midwest are kind of out in the middle of nowhere. High prairie with gently rolling hills. Buffalo and Sheridan are nestled up agains the Big Horn mountains so if your a camping and hiking type of person, that would be worth looking into.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

The areas that I have listed, are they more of a ranching communities? What about the expenses? Is it pricely in Buffalo? And is housing hard to find.
Based on what I describe of what I like and where I come from, is there any more places that you think would be a good fit for me in Wyoming?
Thank you for all your help!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:35 PM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
We're having an engery boom with methane. As such, most towns up here are hurting for affordable renting. We have people on this sight that have had to rent in Buffalo but work in Gillette. Gillette just plain run out of houses. Also, Sheridan is in the same league. I did an extensive research a month ago. I called about 6 different realitors. I found a 1 bedroom apartment, down town over top of a store. I also found a studio over top of a store but you have to share a bathroom with the studio next door. And I found a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house out in Powderhorn for $2200 a month. That was it.

Not sure about Buffalo. There are people on here that live in Buffalo and can probably help you out.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM

527 posts, read 1,427,398 times
If you are not set on any town in particular you will find all sorts of places that fit . Wyoming has all sorts of ranching. Loads of small towns and yet has large industry and small businesses within short drives from your ranch. My advise would be to take a couple of weeks if you can, and drive around the state. Have you ever been to Wyoming ? What made you mention the areas you did ?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM

I mention the areas because I have looked at the demographics, median age and population for these towns and them seem to fit nicely. I also want to be around ranches and land not a big town, any suggestions? Thank you for the help.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM

527 posts, read 1,427,398 times
Lander/Riverton area, Pinedale area, Farson-Eden, Wheatland.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:28 PM

I just looked these up and they look very nice. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:34 PM

144 posts, read 428,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigopenspaces View Post
I am interested in living in the Wyoming area particular, Buffalo, Kaycee, Midwest, Glenrock or Evansville areas. Can someone describe to me what to expect? I am fron Kentucky and have lived here all my life. I was raised in a town with a population of 600 and work in a neighboring town with a population of 2000. I enjoy rodeos, horseriding and farming, just a quiet simple life is what I am looking for. Also, how is the employment there for women and office jobs? I will graduate college this year with a business degree, hoping to find something out that way. Is living afforadable in the places that I have listed? Thanks to anyone with any help, I greatly apprecaite it!!!
Basically there are 3 Wyomings.

"Tourist Wyoming" is over by Jackson in the northwest corner of the state. It's beautiful and very expensive. Your neighbors will include billionaires and movie stars.

"Energy Wyoming" is in the northern ans southwest parts of the state. There's tons of work and lots of money, but housing is scarce and expensive. Developers are reluctant to build there because if the current energy boom peters out, most of the population will move away.

"Agricultural Wyoming" is in the southeast corner, mainly in Goshen, Platte or Niobrara counties. It's sparsely populated and the cost of living is the lowest in the state, however you sacrifice the mountain scenery and energy wealth found in other parts of the state.

You might be interested in Torrington. Try this link for a video of the area.

Last edited by sixofone; 01-07-2008 at 04:08 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 03:37 PM

144 posts, read 428,502 times
Darn. The link I gave you won't work, go to

Torrington, Wyoming

and click on the Community Videos banner.

Sorry for the bad url above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming