Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:30 AM

26 posts, read 42,363 times

Advertisements

As you can see from my login "Desert Dave" I'm from an area in So Cal that is quite desert. I lived in an area of 3,000 feet in elevation called The Antelope Valley and have experienced some snow every year and cold temps. I have also experienced wind. And none of this scares me. I'm looking at retiring somewhere besides Cesspoolafornia. I'm an original baby boomer with morals, values and ethics. Would Rock Springs be worth looking at?

Desert Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 01:02 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
broke down in Rock Springs a few years back, The Suburban was getting fixed at a full service gas station. Gas was thirty cents higher then down the road away at Flying J. As we waited I was surprised at the number of retires that stopped got gas, tires and oil checked, and then handed a $5 tip along with paying . Oh and most every one was dressed in slacks and a nice shirt....See a lot of Rock Spring Elk hunters up here in the Bridger-Teton in the summer fishing or fall hunting. They got Flaming Gorge close for fishing and boating and a lot of high desert to play in.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:15 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
I would be interested to know why R.S. interests you if you are simply looking for a place to retire?

I personally had a horrible experience residing in rock springs. some people love it there and I respect that. The climate didn't bother me and I thought the surrounding landscape was beautiful. From a socio-economic standpoint it is a strange place and is arguably lacking in "values and ethics."

Old 02-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the input. When I grew up in So Cal, I had elbow room. Today, I can't tell you what it's like to travel from stop light to stop light to get somewhere and there's a stop light or stop sign on practically every street corner. I'm looking at getting a lot of input from people who live there to make an informed decision. I plan to take a camping trip there soon to see for myself. I just took a trip to Washington state through Oregon and as soon as you get out of California, the poop I see myself stepping in, in So Cal, disappears. At least most of it. I'm just looking for some elbow room and a reasonable place to live the rest of my life. I know that I'll have to give up something to get something. And I know there is a reasonable balance of life that will suit me. I just need to look and find it.

Thanks for all your input

Old 02-13-2015, 04:48 PM

As I've been going through threads on Rock Springs, I get the impression that Rock Springs might be like the area I've spent a lot of time in, in So Cal. In the late 60's and early 70's, I raced motorcycles in the Mojave Desert. Liked it. Then I moved to a town called Littlerock in what we know here as "high desert". Spent 24 years there. It's about 50 miles north of Los Angeles. Yes without water, things would be brown. And yes, I experienced freezing weather, wind and 110 degree days. I'm sure the weather periods in Rock Springs would be a bit longer than in Littlerock and I'm OK with that as long as I have heat and air conditioning. What I would like to get information on is energy needs. If it got hot here, turn on the air. If it was cold, turn on the heat. As long as I have my "boy toys" and a garage, I'm a happy camper. What are the energy costs in Rock Springs like? Here in So Cal, we pay through the nose for electricity, natural gas and water. I would be comfortable with a 1,500 sq. ft. home and 1/4 to 1/2 acre lot. Can I have a small garden and a small green lawn without taking out a second on the home to pay for it?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2015, 05:12 PM

At the end of most City-Data pages for a town, you can see the businesses that are in that town. I don't see any businesses for Wind River, population 24 thousand. Am I not looking in the right place?

Old 02-13-2015, 05:33 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Wind river , runs from up past Dubois thru Reservation by Riverton then by Shoshoni it dumps into Boysen Reservoir Then thru Wind River Canyon when it exits it becomes the Big Horn River.
Why north of Rock Springs and other side of Continental Divide

Old 02-14-2015, 01:41 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,215,794 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_S...yoming#Climate

Warm summers and cold winters. Avg only 9.5 inches of precip a year like many places in the Mojave desert.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Rock Springs is located in the high dessert. As noted in the previous post, it doesn't get much precip and the reason is that precipitation does fall there, it goes by horizontally due to the wind. The climate in that area is something I would NOT want t live in. Extreme wind and extremely cold temps. I would seriously look at other areas.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Rock Springs isn't windy. Wind speeds as shone on the c-d map below are a bit below the US average. High winds in Wyoming are common only east of the Continental Divide.

I'm posting the temperature chart as well.

The previous poster seems to have it confused with Sheridan.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rock-Springs-Wyoming.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sheridan-Wyoming.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming