Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sunsprit, divide the two. The hydrophonic setup vrs outside garden. The two are separate.

Hydrophonic end of it will only be used to produce starter plants. They will then be removed from that system and taken outside to a regular garden and replanted. Watering will be done with a hose, putting my thumb over the end to provide spray. haha. Not doing anything fancy out there yet.

... I am really looking forward to the seeds I ordered. I got some strange things like Watermelon Tomatoes. hahaha. Gotta make it fun.
nice to have garden stuff on the way! (helps defer spring fever, which is pretty mild this yr)

In the 1960's my 4-H leader grew yr round hydroponic feed supplements for his show horses in his garage. He had a wall of grocery store type sliding door refrigerators with lighting and controlled environment. The stuff looked like alfalfa sprouts! and grew in trays overnight. Not sure of the nutrient value, but it would be EZ to find discarded grocery display freezers.

Maybe he had 'Chia fed horses'? (weight control)
Chia Seed for horses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,290,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
nice to have garden stuff on the way! (helps defer spring fever, which is pretty mild this yr)

In the 1960's my 4-H leader grew yr round hydroponic feed supplements for his show horses in his garage. He had a wall of grocery store type sliding door refrigerators with lighting and controlled environment. The stuff looked like alfalfa sprouts! and grew in trays overnight. Not sure of the nutrient value, but it would be EZ to find discarded grocery display freezers.

Maybe he had 'Chia fed horses'? (weight control)
Chia Seed for horses
guy dose this here for his calves he feeds Growing Sprouted Fodder For Livestock | Peak Prosperity

Old 03-22-2015, 12:07 AM

32 posts, read 39,566 times
ElkHunter is not exaggerating. In the lowlands, teh growing season is a bit longer, but in the high country, the 45 day frost free season is not a joke. I start seeds and cittings in Feb-Apr and start planting outdoors in late may. About the only thing that can go in the ground as soon as thaw starts is wheat. Everything else is either in a greenhouse or under frost covers. I have not yet had success with talapia though. The summer water temps are too cold for them to thrive. A solar heat collector is next on my list of garden appurtenances, Until then they are no more than ornamental fishies in the aquarium.

pW

Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
PW, I might add that the talapia tank, the second tank, and 100 ft of coiled water line is 6 ft in the ground in the gravel floor. We laid all of the line and then buried it in pea gravel.

The other day I checked the temp in there and it was 68 outside and 105 inside the greenhouse. We have not bought the talapis yet. I thought he had, but he's waiting. It is set up to grow plants from seed to harvest, in lava rock with the water flowing about an inch deep in the lava. I want to use quart pots with holes in the bottom for the water circ system and just use it for starter plants. Get them up to 4-6 inched tall and then transplan outside. Just for the first year. That will give us the first season to monitor water temps, get our circ system regulated and such. Don't want to throw everything into it at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming