Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times

Advertisements

My dad is wanting to head up to Wyoming for his first visit next week, and was hoping to visit Yellowstone. One of his dear, old friends died this morning and he really loved Yellowstone, so now my dad is ever more eager to go there, partly in tribute to his old buddy. Can anyone recommend good RV camping? His has an access pass so is hoping to find room in places that accept them. Thanks so much for any help! None of us are familiar with the area, being from Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
There's not much of it open yet. Here's the schedule. They may be running a little ahead of schedule, but I doubt they'll open before the planned dates.

April 17: Mammoth to Old Faithful;Madison to West Entrance;Norris to Canyon.
May 1: Canyon Junction to Lake;Lake to East Entrance (Sylvan Pass).
May 8: Lake to South Entrance;Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
May 22: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass); Beartooth Highway.
June 11: Old Faithful to West Thumb (Craig Pass).

Park Roads - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
As far as RV's. You did not state what type of RV? Be sure your have a hard side camper and not a soft, due to the bears.
Enjoy your trip to Yellowstone.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Your dad will enjoy the trip much more if he waits for the snows to melt. Most of the sites don't even open until late May. Opening & Closing Dates of Facilities - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 04-23-2015, 12:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
...One of his dear, old friends died this morning and he really loved Yellowstone, so now my dad is ever more eager to go there, partly in tribute to his old buddy. ....
take his 'buddy' with him?

I took my dad's corpse through Yellowstone on our way for burial in NE. "we" camped all the way, and picked up a dandy casket liner at the factory in Afton, WY. LOVED the 14a Rte, (Lovell to Sherdian) and got in the middle of a cattle drive, very exciting. Took a spin through Sheridan VA (where dad lived for 5 yrs). Also Devils Tower, Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Wall Drug and Corn Palace (where dad played for polka contests)

RV is EZ in WY. Most small towns city parks and fairgrounds let you stay (often for free).
Free Campgrounds for RVs

Might need to stay at RV sites at lodges / centers (I.e. Mammoth)
DON'T Miss the Tetons (I prefer to Yellowstone). Plenty of off season camping (once it is open for spring)

Wait for decent weather so he can drive the Beartooth Highway!

Take a float trip from Jackson Dam to Jackson Hole !!! (One of my BEST trips ever ('contemplative' as it is so nice and peaceful and much wildlife!)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-23-2015 at 12:51 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM

115 posts, read 260,589 times
Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone is a good home base as well. If he has a car to drive in the park and camp in West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming