U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,536,463 times
Default Does anyone else think Propane is ridiculous this year???

At the rental we are at the water heater is propane and so is the furnace...

We just spent almost $600 in November to fill our propane tank to only 70% and it has already ran down to 19% as of yesterday, so we had to spend another $250 to put some in for the water heater at least and it's at 40%.

Between propane and electric we are paying between 200-300 hundred a month! on top of our hundred dollar a month rental increase....

We had to go down to Home Depot and get a ceramic tower heater and just use it for heat, because it is cheaper than propane... It keeps the living room and kitchen at about 65 degree max and the furnace only runs a little at night because we turn the tower heater off at night...

This is also part of the reason we are trying to find another rental, cause we could save so much in utilities...

Anyways, my husband being that he works in HVAC has heard people all over town can't afford propane, he told me of one place that had a propane boiler that was going through 800 gallons a month

I was curious, is anyone else struggling to afford it too???

I miss a good old woodstove, if we ever have our own house here, we want at least two of them! If fact we own a brand new one, that is a cook stove too, that we bought for a really good deal when we lived in Oregon...

Anyways was just curious...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM

8,020 posts, read 20,665,946 times
I wish we were only spending $300/month for energy.

Between our little house, and energy efficient stock tank heaters, and barn lights (all energy efficient, no big high power lamps burning needlessly like our neighbors) ... we spend over that per month on propane alone this year. Electricity goes a couple of hundred more, and the rate is going up this month another 10%.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM

oh gosh sunspirit, I am sorry it is so expensive for you too...

We only have one income being that I am a stay at home mom, so I totally understand what you mean... we have barely enough to get by with after all the bills are paid...

We don't have a barn or anything though, I can imagine that must be really expensive...

Old 01-26-2008, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 17,238 times
Default Propane prices ridiculous--I agree

Oh, you are absolutely right.
The prices are crazy.
Right now, unfortunately, I have propane for heat and hot water. My 500 gallon tank went down to 22% at the end of December, so it was refilled to 80%---and it cost over $950.
The price that I was charged was $3.01 per gallon. I was told that I was "lucky", because they expected their prices to increase to $3.22 for the following week.
So, like you, I went out and bought some ceramic space heaters too---from Home Depot. Electricity here in Fredericksburg, Virginia is 6 cents a KwH, so (at this point) running space heaters is definitely less expensive than running the propane heaters to keep warm.
3 weeks ago, I turned the thermostat down in my house to 50 degrees to keep the house and pipes from getting too cold---and I am using the space heaters to warm whichever room that I happen to be using.
When I moved into this house 3 1/2 years ago, propane was around $1.30-$1.50 per gallon. The price has doubled. Not only that, I think some of the propane companies are charging whatever they want to charge (because nobody is watching). The lady next door to me has a different propane company than I do, and she was charged $4.20 a gallon (and she filled her tank just a few days before I did).
If the electric companies were doing this, it would already be on the evening news. But, since not as many people use propane--I guess the rising propane prices are going to continue until someone freezes to death because their heating bill costs more than their house payment.
M

Old 01-26-2008, 12:39 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,159,783 times
Here is some good information on propane from EIA: Propane Prices: What Consumers Should Know

It clearly illustrates why propane prices are so high. Since propane is a by-product of oil and natural gas production, and not an end in itself, the supply of propane is constrained by how much of those other products are being produced. While natural gas production is pretty robust, especially in the Rockies, oil production and refining in the US is stagnant, at best. That means the typical propane supplies in the US are probably going to be static, at best, if not in decline. Meanwhile, more and more people are (at least for now) choosing "rural" type lifestyles where their homes (also getting bigger) are using propane for fuel. So, for those reasons, I think that propane prices are going to continue a strong trend upward, until they reach a point that they start to squash demand for the rural type living that requires propane for a heating fuel. Seeing that trend coming for a couple of years now, it is why I sold my propane-fueled home and now live in town with natural gas service--which, yes, is much cheaper. Like it or not, living in the rural Rocky Mountain West, outside of established towns, is likely to become an unaffordable luxury for most middle-class folks--unless their livelihood (ranching or farming) requires them to live there. Energy costs are going to kill off that kind of lifestyle for most folks.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalpower View Post
Oh, you are absolutely right.
The prices are crazy.
Right now, unfortunately, I have propane for heat and hot water. My 500 gallon tank went down to 22% at the end of December, so it was refilled to 80%---and it cost over $950.
The price that I was charged was $3.01 per gallon. I was told that I was "lucky", because they expected their prices to increase to $3.22 for the following week.
So, like you, I went out and bought some ceramic space heaters too---from Home Depot. Electricity here in Fredericksburg, Virginia is 6 cents a KwH, so (at this point) running space heaters is definitely less expensive than running the propane heaters to keep warm.
3 weeks ago, I turned the thermostat down in my house to 50 degrees to keep the house and pipes from getting too cold---and I am using the space heaters to warm whichever room that I happen to be using.
When I moved into this house 3 1/2 years ago, propane was around $1.30-$1.50 per gallon. The price has doubled. Not only that, I think some of the propane companies are charging whatever they want to charge (because nobody is watching). The lady next door to me has a different propane company than I do, and she was charged $4.20 a gallon (and she filled her tank just a few days before I did).
If the electric companies were doing this, it would already be on the evening news. But, since not as many people use propane--I guess the rising propane prices are going to continue until someone freezes to death because their heating bill costs more than their house payment.
M
Wow, that is a lot for propane!

I haven't gotten my first electric bill with the ceramic heaters, but I think it is definitely going to be cheaper...

Old 02-04-2008, 01:52 AM

That is good info Jazzlover thanks for sharing

Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM

39 posts, read 124,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Energy costs are going to kill off that kind of lifestyle for most folks.
This is going to be an interesting ride for all of us, not just those in rural areas and probably more so for those of us still in the urban environment. For most of us urbanites, everything we do invokes the cost of energy. At least my parents in Wyo can supply the majority of their meat, a good portion of their vegetables, and their home is cooled and heated via radiant floors supplied by their artesian well and from burning local wood. Ahhh, the view from the peak...

That said, the high demand for energy and renewable energy sector jobs should continue to grow. Let's get in on it

Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 17,238 times
After my $950 propane bill in December, I turned the heat in my house down to 50 and began using a ceramic space heater in whichever room I was using. I figured electricity (at 6 KwH) would be less expensive than another $950 propane bill by mid-February.
Well, here it is, mid-February.
The propane company filled my tank to 80% at the end of December and I still have 70%. Yeah!
I was still wondering though, if using the space heater was going to substantially increase my electric bill---and negate the fact that I was saving money on propane.
Yesterday, I finally got my electric bill for the month of January (when I was running the space heater a lot).
I was almost afraid to look.
Running the space heater in the bedroom at night, and periodically running the space heater during the day (in various rooms)---my electric bill went up $35.
That's all.
There was one warm week (in the 50s and 60s) here in January, when I didn't use any heat at all--but the other 3 weeks were in the 30s and 40s during the day, dropping to the 20s and sometimes lower at night. If I had relied totally on the propane heaters and kept the entire house warmed up to 65/68 degrees, I would already be close to the point where I would have had to refill the tank.
Makes more sense to pay a $35 increase (approximately $70 extra for 2 months) in my electric bill, instead of another $950 propane bill for two months.
Of course, I admit it is a little cool in my house in the rooms where the space heater is not running; BUT, I feel pretty good right now---knowing that I am not totally at the mercy of the propane company.
Yep. I'm taking the power back.
I'm so annoyed with the ridiculous price increases in the propane/gas/oil prices---that my anger, an extra sweater, and a well-place space heater seems to be enough to keep me warm!
M

Old 02-16-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalpower View Post
After my $950 propane bill in December, I turned the heat in my house down to 50 and began using a ceramic space heater in whichever room I was using. I figured electricity (at 6 KwH) would be less expensive than another $950 propane bill by mid-February.
Well, here it is, mid-February.
The propane company filled my tank to 80% at the end of December and I still have 70%. Yeah!
I was still wondering though, if using the space heater was going to substantially increase my electric bill---and negate the fact that I was saving money on propane.
Yesterday, I finally got my electric bill for the month of January (when I was running the space heater a lot).
I was almost afraid to look.
Running the space heater in the bedroom at night, and periodically running the space heater during the day (in various rooms)---my electric bill went up $35.
That's all.
There was one warm week (in the 50s and 60s) here in January, when I didn't use any heat at all--but the other 3 weeks were in the 30s and 40s during the day, dropping to the 20s and sometimes lower at night. If I had relied totally on the propane heaters and kept the entire house warmed up to 65/68 degrees, I would already be close to the point where I would have had to refill the tank.
Makes more sense to pay a $35 increase (approximately $70 extra for 2 months) in my electric bill, instead of another $950 propane bill for two months.
Of course, I admit it is a little cool in my house in the rooms where the space heater is not running; BUT, I feel pretty good right now---knowing that I am not totally at the mercy of the propane company.
Yep. I'm taking the power back.
I'm so annoyed with the ridiculous price increases in the propane/gas/oil prices---that my anger, an extra sweater, and a well-place space heater seems to be enough to keep me warm!
M
My bill only has covered half of my ceramic heater usage so far... and my bill this time actually went down I turn down the furnace too, and sometimes let it come on to take off a chill... but other than that our main heat source is the ceramic heater and it works great...

I agree though I would rather pay an extra 30-40 dollars too!

We wear sweatshirts and sweaters too and blankets and we are comfortable...

I also got a notice that MDU was lowering the electricity rate! That is a first, never happened to me when I lived in Oregon...

I am glad the heater is a success for you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming