Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:46 PM

49 posts, read 238,839 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This is my first post but I have read and visit often. I just thought Id introduce myself and what not..

I currently live in Arkansas and grew up in a small town. Over the last several years now, that place has grown greatly. I have always loved the small towns and to be honest it almost hurts when I see another farm land section turned into a subdivision. The worst is when they name it after what it once was such as the "vinyards".

I have done auto upholstery profesionally for the last 11 years and about 1.5 years ago applied with Wyo Tech to teach as an instructor in Laramie. I have spent about 2 years researching every thing I could find on the Laramie area and finally had the oprtunity to visit this weekend. WyoTech flew my wife and I out into the area and let us stay for almost 3 days to visit the town. We drove out to Centinial and the surounding area. It really is as wonderfull as I had hoped. I still do not know if the move will happen as I expect an offer from the Wyotech school within a few weeks. If that happens I still have to have my wifes support to go. We have 2 girls ages 4 and 6 that I think would grow up to love the area. The only hard part is leaving behind lifelong family and friends.

Whatever happens, will be, but you guys sure do have a nice slice of heaven on earth.

I do have one question though. The WildHorse ranch... anyone have good info on this? I was told that water is the big problem with alot of these lands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Well, WyoTech offered me the job. I am now just trying to weigh the pros and cons of relocation.

So maybe no one noticed the question at the end of my previous post. Does anyone know anything about the land for sale outside the Laramie area? It seams that you get alot for the dollar, but I have been cautioned by one that the reason they are lower in cost is due to water or lack of. Any ideas on this or things to ask about? One location in particular was the Wild Horse ranch land.

Thanks,
Michael Russell

Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,178 times
If you contact the state water commision they will have drilling logs for the area and will be able to tell you more about the water in the area. Do a web search for them.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:46 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
i would be wary of a lot of these places though some may be all right.a lot of them have seasonal road access,arent on 'the grid',and require extreme depths to get water.i-80 between laramie and arlington is one of the worst stretches of interstate in wyoming in the winter.i dont really know much about 'wild horse ranch'other then its general location.i think access in winter if you tried to live there would likely be very difficult and you have to look at the costs of drilling a well and developing an off-grid electric setup if you intend to live in a remote area year round.if you cant get out for weeks at a time you cant get to work and the kids cant get to school.i really dont know how much of this applies specifically to 'wild horse ranch'.you would really need to talk to some people who actually live there and find out the utility,access and avg well depth in the area to see if it would work for you.if people arent living there,theres a reason for that.cheap land in wyoming is cheap for a reason.my suggestion would be to find a place fairly close to your new job initially and once you are there you can explore different areas at all times of the year.read the posts about wytex ranch to get some insight about peoples thoughts on living on some 'remote' subdivisions.wild horse ranch is much closer to civilization then wytex but there are likely some simularities

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
If you decide to live outside of town (I live in Laramie) be aware that the wind can be brutal. We're not talking 20 or 30 miles an hour either.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 13,925 times
Welcome.......

Look me up when you get here and we'll conspire to find an eatery willing to learn that sweet tea can't be made at the table. And rest assured that you CAN get grits here - but only at Safeway or Albertsons, in a box.

I just moved here from Tennessee a few months ago and love it. When they talk about the wind - they aren't kidding! The roads have been closed more than open lately.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,392 times
Congrats on your new job. I wish you and your family the best in the transition.

Like imbobbbb said, it's probably wise to find a place close to work initially, then take the time to explore and learn more about the area before settling in permanently.

Good luck with everything.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpontiac80 View Post
Well, WyoTech offered me the job. I am now just trying to weigh the pros and cons of relocation.

So maybe no one noticed the question at the end of my previous post. Does anyone know anything about the land for sale outside the Laramie area? It seams that you get alot for the dollar, but I have been cautioned by one that the reason they are lower in cost is due to water or lack of. Any ideas on this or things to ask about? One location in particular was the Wild Horse ranch land.

Thanks,
Michael Russell
You will find many posts on this board concerning the "40 acre ranches" that developers are selling at several Wyoming locations. You will have to make your own decisions about where to live, but you'd be well advised to take NOTHING for granted when considering these properties. Many folks from the more developed areas of the US assume that there will be water, electricity, cell phone service, internet connections, access to roads, snow removal in the winter,availability of construction workers to build a home, availability of building materials, etc. Out here in the boondocks nothing is certain, as many disillusioned new-comers have found out the hard way. If one of these developments is right for you, fine, but do lots of research before you part with your money.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 AM

Thank you for all the replies. I have researched the Laramie area for a very long time now ( about 2 years ) and I feel pretty confident in that area about what to expect and etc.

I also did find more info on that wild horse ranch though and I discovered that there is a lot of negative feelings twords it from locals. For example I discovered that the name comes from a deal that was worked out in 1976 or so to be a home refuge to wild horses. About 2 years ago a company bought it for subdivision and are selling 40 acre lots. The wild horses still have access to all the land and they are kinda using that as a highlight to lure people in I guess.

I understand why people are not for this as it will interupt the natural way of things. No matter what I do, I will or would be renting for the first year or so within Laramie. Laramie is about half the population that I currently live in and I like that. It really does tear me up to see progress in nice areas that have been used for agri for many years, but I guess that is just part of it no matter where you go.

I was able to visit Laramie for about 2 days 3 weeks ago and it is very nice. I can only imagine the area in springtime or summer. Still do not know if I will accept the job or not though as my wife really does not want to leave behind her family. We will see soon enough though.

Thanks again

Michael Russell

Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDano View Post
Welcome.......

Look me up when you get here and we'll conspire to find an eatery willing to learn that sweet tea can't be made at the table. And rest assured that you CAN get grits here - but only at Safeway or Albertsons, in a box.

I just moved here from Tennessee a few months ago and love it. When they talk about the wind - they aren't kidding! The roads have been closed more than open lately.
The Chuckwagon in Laramie has good grits....

Take it from a Texas girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming