Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

Sort of depends why you are moving to Wyoming??

Tax benefit? (low cost living?)
VA care ?
Wildlife / recreation?
Excellent people?

If you are used to / need shopping / social activities / international airport?, Cheyenne might be a good choice. Ft Collins / Denver is more accessible from there. Most of WY will have you driving very far for these services.

My retirement spreadsheet scoring on transportation costs (and time spent driving to service), risk of property resale / equity gain (WY has very big boom and bust cycles), access to international airport, housing and shop utility costs axed my 1st choice to retire in Powell, WY. (my spouse also axed... has cold weather related health issues...). I shall return if I outlive spouse.

Sheridan would be my 2nd choice. Spearfish, SD is similar, with similar state tax benefits (but significant state issues with Native American / social programs). (Newcastle or Sundance can keep you in WY if you like)

Star Valley is a very good choice as well (SLC / Ogden is close enough).
Lander can be a hike to anywhere significant. (Denver / SLC / Billings / Rapid City).
As a 'retiree' you need to consider 'proximity' if you have to travel via commercial air to family / or end up with a health need that requires treatments in a large city. Or... if you are a 'big-box shopper'. (Costco is coming to Ft Collins, CO but not too close to Casper / Lander)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-24-2015 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 01:12 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
90s are very rear here but we do get a few days of them some summers.
Thanks for the reply Jody. I appreciate the information. A few days in the 90s shouldn't be a issue.
Are the Mosquitos really bad this time of the year?

Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,980 times
Mosquitos are our most common type of bird this time of year, their numbers go down as the meadows get hayed but then the deer and horse flies are out...

Old 06-26-2015, 12:40 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Looks like i will have to get out witchhazel and mix in some herbs and other goodies for the Mosquitos. Mix into a spray bottle.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:52 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
Counterpoint to Dangerous Dave,

After 30 years of being away from my home state of Wyoming, 6 years ago I moved back.

I had no bucket of cash. The COL is high but poverty is not $100K. Not sure how this "figure" was arrived at.

Found a rental on Residence Hill that was livable and comfortable for $850 a month. This is 2 blocks above the courthouse in a neighborhood that is full of older homes in great condition.

The rental needed to be updated and as I do not rely on others to do what I am very capable of doing, the owner of the house has agreed that if it needs updated, do it and take the material off of the rent. I never charge him for labor as these updates give me the opportunity to sharpen and learn my skills. Self-reliance is what this is called.

Housing prices as an average do not drop, in fact the housing market is strong in Sheridan.

For culture we have the Wyo Theater, Third Thursday (during the summer), a farmers market in the summer, the Brinton Museum in Big Horn, Kings Saddle in downtown, Sheridan Count Museum, Trail End museum, Sheridan Wyo Rodeo, and this is just a few of the cultural treasures here. If these are not your cup of tea, a short 30-45 minute drive will put you in the Big Horn Mountains. Lots of opportunity for outdoor recreation. We are also about 4-5 hours away from Yellowstone, a bit longer to Grand Tetons and the wonderful opportunities that abound in that region.

Shopping is lacking on some levels but Billings and Casper are only 2 hours away and offer all the shopping one would need. And the drive is not life risking. Every day I drive from Sheridan to almost Gillette for work (66 miles one way) and can count on one hand and two fingers when a delay has been encountered even in the winter. He is right about no air service, but you can catch a flight in Casper, Billings, Gillette, and even Denver.

We do have a lack of good eating establishments, but the good ones are good and are reasonably priced. For a good sandwich Sacketts is outstanding. A good hamburger can be had in Big Horn, and a good steak down in Buffalo. The new restaurant in Sheridan Inn is also fairly good. A decent meal can never be had at BK, Chilies, Applebees, or Texas roadhouse and thank goodness we do not have an abundance of these restaurants. +

All that being said, I am a very proud native of Wyoming and no matter where in the state you decide to retire to, it is a wonderful place to be.

EIAFJAM

Old 06-30-2015, 12:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
you're putting your life at risk driving the 2 hour trip each way through the poorest, most hostile reservation in the country.
Care to expand?

Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,852 times
Yes, the roads can be slick and windy.

The Crow reservation is very poor, and bitter. The other tribes in the country hate them.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Counterpoint to Dangerous Dave,

Found a rental on Residence Hill that was livable and comfortable for $850 a month

The rental needed to be updated and as I do not rely on others to do what I am very capable of doing, the owner of the house has agreed that if it needs updated, do it and take the material off of the rent. I never charge him for labor as these updates give me the opportunity to sharpen and learn my skills. Self-reliance is what this is called.

Shopping is lacking on some levels but Billings and Casper are only 2 hours away and offer all the shopping one would need. And the drive is not life risking. Every day I drive from Sheridan to almost Gillette for work (66 miles one way) and can count on one hand and two fingers when a delay has been encountered even in the winter. He is right about no air service, but you can catch a flight in Casper, Billings, Gillette, and even Denver.

We do have a lack of good eating establishments, but the good ones are good and are reasonably priced. For a good sandwich Sacketts is outstanding. A good hamburger can be had in Big Horn, and a good steak down in Buffalo. The new restaurant in Sheridan Inn is also fairly good. A decent meal can never be had at BK, Chilies, Applebees, or Texas roadhouse and thank goodness we do not have an abundance of these restaurants. +

All that being said, I am a very proud native of Wyoming and no matter where in the state you decide to retire to, it is a wonderful place to be.

EIAFJAM

That's well and good if you're happy with a crusty old rental for the cost of a new place elsewhere. I don't mind the self-reliance part, I'm quite proud to be able to do things on my own also. However, paying 250k for the "pleasure" of owning a fixer upper so as to test my self reliance isn't my cup of tea anymore. I just paid $20k less than what my fixer-upper sold for to buy a brand new semi-custom house in a lake community ten miles out of town and in the woods.

Have fun with driving to Billings. Hopefully I'll never have to see that crummy town again.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Assuming the price were the same, I'd rather live in a wrecked trailer anywhere in Wyoming than a mansion somewhere else.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,510 times
Thank you. You have all given me a lot to think about. One of the posts asked why was I thinking about Wyoming. Two reasons. The first Wyoming has always been one of those places I've wonder about and the retire tax structure. Now to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming