Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,748 times

Advertisements

Oh wow, I actually got responses, haha. I didn't think I would.

First of all, I would like to thank all of you who responded. Thank you for being honest, and telling my that the west is not "TV Land" and glamorous. And that is just what I was hoping for.
Also thank you for saying that you "applaud me for having a free enough spirit to take a change and make a move."

I'm not a girly-girl. I really like to work and get dirty, which is why I believe I belong out west.

As far as my experience with horses goes: I have been riding for about 5 years. I've rode Quarter Horses, Thoroughbreds, Paint Horses (My Favvorritee) Appoloosas, and Warmbloods.
My goals for working with horses? I just want to work with them. Doing anything. I absolutely love the animal, and simply cannot see myself doing anything else. I currently am riding English, simply because I love to jump. I started out riding Western just with friends, but I had difficulty finding any trainers in PA specializing in Western riding. So, I figured I would stick to English for the time being...
Also, I currently work for a veterinary clinic. I have a lot of experience around various types of animals. I did consider becoming a vet or a vet. tech, but I heard from the ones at my clinic that they are severely underpaid. While money isn't completely important to me, I don't want to starve. I guess one of my questions is: What kinds of careers are there in the horses industry? Especially out there.
Do you have any suggestions of specific colleges to attend? Should I go to college?

My expectations and standard of living aren't very high. I've grown up on a dairy farm, and I'm used to things not being so "lush". One of the old farmhouses my family lived in didn't even have heat. My father, mother, brother and I had to sleep on one mattress on the floor. For over a year, we couldn't afford to eat anything but deer meat. Is was all we had to live off of. That should tell you a little bit about where I come from...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
It's well and good that you have some riding experience, have a great interest in horses, some vet clinic experience, and don't mind getting dirty or need to live a high lifestyle.

That's pretty much what you'll find here in Wyoming. With the exception of some working/dude ranches and outfitters, you'll find that the entry level equine industry jobs are menial and the pay is very low. You may find an opportunity to "house sit" a facility and take care of livestock ... again, the pay is low and you're looking at a tough hurdle to overcome to get hired at your young age and limited experience.

Due to the regional weather, most folks don't ride or use their horses during the winter months out here, which can easily last 5-6 months of the year. Unless you can find a job at a boarding facility with an indoor arena, there simply isn't a lot of equine business activity for much of the year, nor a lot of riding. Horses are simply put out to pasture with feed, water, and shelter ... and checked on every now and then. Farriers don't have a lot of work during the winter months either, because the horses don't get a lot of attention during that time except by folks who try to keep their horses on track (or for pro rodeo circuit, that's just a very few horses), many just trimmed (no shoes) during the winter.

Educationally, there are several good equine management programs in Wyoming through the CC system. Cheyenne has a good program, and the possibility of local year 'round part time (other) hourly jobs to support you .... and dorms on the campus for housing. There are also other locations, and you need to inquire about the focus of their equine program ... some are well known for training barn managers, some for their riding/competition training. There's also an excellent program at CSU Fort Collins CO for a four-year degree in animal science, or an equine program at UW Laramie. The Laramie program is special to me because of the noteworthy support by Ann Mears (& family) and her Morgan horse program ... and she's now donated her ranch and Morgan breeding operation to the school (and I'm a Morgan fan and owner/rider). Ann had MMLyndon, which was a world champion Morgan stallion, so she had a really good program and training at her facility. It was very kind and generous of Ann to give so much to the UW, and they'll be able to continue her operation through her ranch and endowment.

There isn't much English riding around here, although there are a few folks who are into jumping and dressage. But they're very much in the minority, with a few trainers and barns that specialize in this type of riding. You'll mostly find riders here in Western tack and riding style. Some folks do endurance riding, some compete in various roping or rodeo events, but most equine activity here is either ranch horse riding or pleasure trail riding or outfitting.

And, for a lot of people, it's just part of the culture to have horses and we see a lot of horses that aren't trained or ridden ... ever. Out of the 150 or so horses very close by us, 20 are "rough stock" for rodeos, 6 are ridden, and the rest are either pasture pets or "breeding stock" held by folks with no idea of the quality of the horses they produce, it's just something they do because they love horses. Guess which ones represent a job opportunity for you? Only the 6 that are ridden ... the rest are taken care of by their cowboy owners or simply neglected.

Other than connecting with a school before you come out here, you'd best try to line up a job with a facility before moving on out, unless you've got a lot of reserve cash to live on. Getting a place to live and an adequate income may be very problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: