Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 01:29 PM

3,647 posts, read 6,279,851 times

Advertisements

Hiker Killed By Grizzly Bear in Yellowstone National Park - NBC News
A hiker was killed by a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park last week, the National Parks Service said a preliminary investigation had found.
Although an exact cause of death was yet to be determined, the service said investigators had identified what appeared to be defensive wounds on the man's arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 11:44 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,249,782 times
Was on the news out here.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:16 AM

32 posts, read 39,540 times
If you stay in your car then this will not happen. If you walk a trail, then expect to be eaten.

pW

Old 08-15-2015, 07:22 AM

3,647 posts, read 6,279,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro wyoming View Post
If you stay in your car then this will not happen. If you walk a trail, then expect to be eaten.

pW
I been on 10day long horse pack trips and day hikes , and snow shoe trecks in Yellowstone and have not been eaten, be a wear of what's going on around you, stash food away from camp up high and away from the tree trunk.... bear spray....

Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 AM

7,319 posts, read 6,914,290 times
Even professionals get stupid when it comes to wild life ,
it is foolish to assume these animals are not gong to act like animals.
I don't blame the bear, I blame the person , for taking unnecessary risks.
There is a time for being in the woods, but that time should be realized that we are the invaders to their home, and performance as such is going to occur..
When I go into the woods I am on the defensive because it is not my home.
I have had a few very close encounters with bear and mountain lion and other critters , but because my experience is limited, I can't tell that every bear is going to act the same as my own past encounters.
They are as different from one anther as you and I.
Bear spray does not work through a tent wall , nor does it work if you are down wind, and it's strong.
There is a joke among those that traverse the woods often.
To determine if the poo belongs to a grizzly, check for the smell of pepper and or bells .
Bear run @ 35 MPH I've watched them out run goats.
I can run at about 15 MPH for a few seconds .
There are innumerable arguments over this issue of defense lethal or non lethal .
If you have been behaving the rules and are being hunted any way, you will not escape.
Pepper spray is only a temporary fix , if at all .
A bear that proves to be aggressive to humans IS going to be put down one way or another .
Personally I prefer the .454 or.44 mag answer to the problem.
But then the bear becomes my family's meal, in stead of me being his.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 PM

74 posts, read 167,503 times
"Although an exact cause of death was yet to be determined..."

Going out on a limb here, but my guess is the bear attack.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:12 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,912,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro wyoming View Post

pW
I've walked on trails in grizzly country in Wyoming and Montana and am still kicking. While I haven't run into a bear, I take precautions by carrying bear spray and being aware of my surroundings.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:17 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,171,747 times
While not a joking matter, it reminded me of this:
"The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming