U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:57 PM

174 posts, read 171,235 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks

In mid November, my husband and I will be visiting Ft Collins, CO. One of the days there we intend to take a day trip to Cheyenne. When visiting places, we really like to eat at places that are specific to the area we are in ... and not a major chain.

Was curious to know folks' opinions on what a great local place to have lunch would be whilst in Cheyenne?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:44 PM

11,373 posts, read 47,126,730 times
Do keep in mind that Cheyenne is not a dining destination, especially in light of the overwhelming foodie selection in Fort Collins (where many Cheyenne area folk go for a restaurant outing).

But depending upon your price point and level of food service/interests, a few places present:

1) Rudolfo's Mexican Grill, on East Lincolnway. A converted fast food place, the menu is the closest you'll get in Cheyenne to "real" mexican food. Order and self-serve at the counter, it's pretty basic but you'll get away from the "tacos and burritos" staple offerings of most purported mexican restaurants in the area. Atmosphere is non-existent, this is simply an indoor place to sit and eat. Very reasonably priced, served in styrofoam. There's a few others in town that purport to serve mexican food, but it's either very gringo'ized or very poor quality/flavor ... especially if you're acclimated to the "real stuff".

2) American Diner fare at the Luxury Diner on West Lincolnway. A local favorite, reasonably priced. A bit more atmosphere with it being based in an old railcar.

3) Poor Richard's on East Lincolnway. A bit more upscale and a couple dollars more per person, but better service and atmosphere.

4) The Albany Hotel Restaurant on Central. Classic American fare, reasonably priced.

Most of Cheyenne's dining scene is franchise, fast food, or chain restaurants. In any event, if you've had a "great meal" in Fort Collins, don't expect that the food scene in Cheyenne will be anywhere to the same level of performance. To put it into perspective ...

FWIW ... one of the best values in town for a lunch with fresh ingredients is the dining Hall buffet at the LCCC campus. Reasonably priced for adults, you don't have to be a student there to eat there. A modest cafeteria atmosphere, but food that will blow the doors off 90% of the restaurants in Cheyenne (and most of Wyoming, for that matter). You get to bus your own table, too. AYCE, it's rare that they don't have decent food on the hot line and some special at the center food court. One of the best salad bars in the region, too. We've held conferences in the Cheyenne area, and by far and away the best food offerings for the catering were from this facility (food industry students) ... the combination of meeting facilities and the on-site catering blew the doors off the hotels/restaurants for groups of 100+ attendees.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Thank you much for the quick and thorough answer I wouldn't necessarily term myself and the husband foodies, but when we do visit a new place we prefer to "eat local" as opposed to going to whatever Chili's or Applebee's or "Insert chain here" happens to be close by.

It is more for the experience than the food, I think, oddly enough. Neither of us have ever been to Wyoming before, and with the area being within such a close day trip, we felt we should at least drive in and see/experience just a little.

I suppose I should have also asked ... is Cheyenne the best destination for a fun day trip, or is another location in Wyoming (coming from Ft Collins) better?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
(snip)
I suppose I should have also asked ... is Cheyenne the best destination for a fun day trip, or is another location in Wyoming (coming from Ft Collins) better?
All depends upon your interests.

A "day trip" from Ft Collins would realistically be to either Cheyenne or Laramie.

Cheyenne has museums, the historic traces of being a railroad town (the old train depot, remnants of the roundhouse and maintenance facilities), and a very small downtown area with some shops. For the most part, the retail/shopping environment of Cheyenne is The Mall and the frontage along Dell Range Blvd.

You could visit the Vedauwoo area, with it's unique rock formations and high altitude scenery just off I-80. There's a Nat'l Forest stop there with a campground to base from. From there, the Lincoln Memorial is just further west on the I-80 pass leading to Laramie.

Laramie is the home of the UnivWyoming (UW), and has a modest downtown area, some museums, and some commercial areas.

Cheyenne, in particular, was founded as a railroad town when the UP was heading West and needed a place for maintenance, fuel, and water, and to base crews. With the pass ahead over to Laramie, it was a logical place to have the extra locomotives to pull the trains up the grade.

From an interest standpoint, there's a sizable history of the railroads here and the "Western" development of the ranching business of the area. As well, there's a history of the native Indians in this area. Geologically, it's an area of interest and WY has dinosaur fossil beds in the region ... which you can peruse at the State Museum in Cheyenne. There's the "Tom Horn" exhibit, famous for shooting (well, there's some discussion about whether or not he was guilty of this crime) a lad on an area ranch, later hung on the steps of a county building (you can see the placard of this event on the South steps of the County Building). Similar snippets of western history and folklore abound in Cheyenne.

Of course, the UW has numerous other museums and exhibits of the area history and development. You'd need a lot more than a day to breeze through the museums of Cheyenne and Laramie, they're pretty extensive.

Perhaps a "day trip" for you would be to do a loop up I-25 to Cheyenne, then over I-80 to Laramie, then back to Ft Collins via US Hwy 287? The drive back to Ft Collins is pretty and representative of the ranches/vistas of the area, a pleasant scenic drive.

PS: Don't forget that "mid-November" is a time when inclement weather/road conditions can present. Typically fairly clear in Ft Collins, once you come up the ridge to Cheyenne you may find wintry conditions and driving situations. Be prepared for possible cold weather and very strong gusty winds on the highways of the Cheyenne and Laramie areas. Consider, too, the shorter daylight hours if you're planning to combine outdoor activity/sightseeing with your indoor activities.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:12 PM

99 posts, read 117,757 times
I didn't see it mentioned, but if you are into Korean food, try the Korean House restaurant. The food is as authentic as possible in the U.S.

But that said, the food choices are FAR superior in Colorado. My wife and I live 180miles north of Cheyenne in Casper, and MANY times we have driven to Denver (and back in the same night) for dinner because we could not stomach the drivel here.

I was born and raised in Wyoming and love this state to death, but it is like a black hole for foodies. Anyone who has traveled at all will be sadly disappointed with 99% of the choices in Wyoming. And for the love of all things holy, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a decent steak here. Despite being in the heart of cattle country with absolutely prime beef available at every turn, no establishment can cook it correctly. It seems universally thought that char (acidic burn taste) and grill marks make a decent steak. Salt? What's that. Pepper? What's that?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:21 PM

One should be forewarned that the little shopping center on Snyder Ave where the Korean House restaurant is located is a step below being a dump. IIRC, all the retail shops there have been closed for some time and the center has been for sale for quite awhile. IOW, don't be surprised at the dismal exterior condition of the facility. The food is the real deal ... although not many folk appreciate Korean cuisine, it's pretty potent stuff and will stay with you for quite some time.

I'll agree with Wyoming_Medic re the hospitality biz in Wyoming. The restaurant scene here is abysmal, there are very few decent restaurants throughout the entire state despite so many locales depending upon the tourist trade. Most independent restaurants are serving food-like substances from the major regional commercial warehouse food purveyors, notably Sysco Foods. When you see a wide-ranging menu here, it's because the entrees are pre-pack items, frozen foods, canned items, etc. You know you're in food he** when the online food/travel sites have some towns ranking the local McD's or another fast food franchise outlet being in the top 5 restaurants in town. The survival rate of the few good places that show up from time to time is very low.

Anyway, enjoy your day in Wyoming and drive safe.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-14-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 07:24 PM

9,728 posts, read 18,805,749 times
Laramie also has the Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site | Laramie, WY, but I just noticed that it closes for the season the end of October. Sorry. (That's probably why Sunsprit didn't mention it?)

Old 09-14-2015, 08:52 PM

3,129 posts, read 4,951,575 times
I don't mind brew pub in the old Depot, they make a ok burger and we sit and watch the trains

Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Oh my ... thank you for the honesty When going to a new place, I don't mind running the risk of mediocre / unremarkable food ... but if it is a near guarantee, I'd rather pass, unless the experience is unique and fabulous enough to offset the food. If that makes sense.

This information helps firm up plans, however.

Provided the weather allows, I think the loose plan will be to have a good breakfast in CO, and then pack snacks and a picnic type lunch. We'll then do a scenic driving trip into Wyoming with no specific destination in mind ... other than to see the prettiness around; or what prettiness may be available in mid-November.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM

Breakfast in Ft Collins, a local favorite: The Silver Grill in "Old Town". They do their own baked goods (it's a retail bakery, too) and their breakfast platters are creative, good sized portions, reasonably priced.

You'll also be right around the corner from The Welsh Rabbit, one of the better cheese shops of the region (although more expensive than the Cheese Warehouse in Longmont), if you like specialty and artisan cheeses for your snack and lunch fare. If they've got it in stock, ask for a sample of "Lamb Chopper", one of my favorites which they bring in from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming