Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:59 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I will second the notion of securing a job beforehand, but you might want to try some of the smaller communities (5-10k pop.) and do take a trip out there, especially in the winter months...which can be extensive, as I recall snow in June . Did you try looking on https://www.wyomingatwork.com/vosnet/Default.aspx to see what is available for your areas of interest? I've had three teaching interviews (one in person, one phone, and one skype) in Wyoming and have not yet found a position there. You would need to take the Wyoming Constitution test to gain a Wyoming State teacher's license (which is free but must be proctored). U.S. & Wyoming Constitution

I moved to Lander when my daughter was in the 4th grade, and worked two jobs to try to support us. Without my aunt and uncle's help, we wouldn't have made it, as Wyoming isn't a state with a plethora of social programs to join if you are "working poor." So jobs before moving should be priority.

As much as I love the state, I wouldn't move back unless I had an exceptional paying position and a way to buy a house. (That and recent heart issues have made me think twice about the wisdom of a high altitude move.) Teachers are paid well, but there are around 400 applicants/job in some places...so not easy to get!

There are family friendly communities there in Wyoming, but people just want you to make sure your eyes are open to the challenges Wyoming can have as well. Don't be discouraged. Visit, explore, and do some job searches.

Nursing has other positions, outside of watching people die... I was a nurse before I became a teacher...

My top picks for friendly cities(towns)... Lander, Dubois (dew-boys-beautiful but remote-ish and a more expensive C.O.L.), Powell/Cody, Gillette (somewhat bigger, but has friendly people.)

Good luck to you!

"There are family friendly communities there in Wyoming, but people just want you to make sure your eyes are open to the challenges Wyoming can have as well".

Which challenges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 05:30 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
"There are family friendly communities there in Wyoming, but people just want you to make sure your eyes are open to the challenges Wyoming can have as well".

Which challenges?
Isolation, long, cold winters, semi-arid landscapes. Many transplants living on the high plains, which is most of Wyoming, dislike the sparsity of trees. Gardeners dislike the short growing season (and infertile ground). Being a low-population state has its advantages, but it also means there are often few jobs for your chosen profession.

That last one was bad for me years ago. As a newspaper professional, when I quit my job that I'd moved here for a decade earlier, my options were to take a lesser job, switch to something unrelated or move. My (then) wife decided at the last moment (before moving) that she didn't want to leave, so for the past 30 years I've been trying to "find myself".

Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Isolation, long, cold winters, semi-arid landscapes. Many transplants living on the high plains, which is most of Wyoming, dislike the sparsity of trees. Gardeners dislike the short growing season (and infertile ground). Being a low-population state has its advantages, but it also means there are often few jobs for your chosen profession.

That last one was bad for me years ago. As a newspaper professional, when I quit my job that I'd moved here for a decade earlier, my options were to take a lesser job, switch to something unrelated or move. My (then) wife decided at the last moment (before moving) that she didn't want to leave, so for the past 30 years I've been trying to "find myself".
That doesn't sound too challenging or bad with arid climates especially if you like cold weather and rain as I do and fog. I am not into gardening as I would prefer to have more house than land but still prefer isolation with low population.

As far as women go they will come and they will go.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:28 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
Challenges: Finding housing can be a challenge, especially places which allow pets or are within your price range.

Challenges: In weather, it can be WINDY... quite a lot... which has a wearing effect.What WyoNewk said is correct... some people do not acclimate to the landscape/climate/weather well.

Challenge: Travel- Far drives between areas of shopping etc. It took me a good six months to start feeling "at home" after moving from the "big cities" (Minneapolis/St Paul area) to a town of 7500. For some people, that slowing down part is hard to accept. Though nowadays online shopping has made it more convenient so not necessarily a challenge, except maybe specialty things in the food section.

Not much rain... more likely you'll have snow in all months except maybe August

Challenges: to health... heart and respiratory issues become more prevalent at higher altitude places. Not all areas have level 3 trauma centers and it may be that a helicopter ride to one isn't feasible.

Challenges: Water- there isn't a lot of it, and even if there is water on your land, you might not have the right to it. Yes this does pose challenges for avid gardeners, when the growing season is 42 days long sometimes... You may not personally garden, but there are those who do.

Challenges: Finding jobs you are qualified to do/enjoy/pay well. Unless you are independently wealthy, money matters. Rent can be upwards of 1000/month on some places, and that doesn't always include heating, electricity, and other amenities. Add on gas for your vehicle, vehicle tabs/licensing, food and other necessities, and even sometimes paying to haul water, it adds up quickly.

There are many challenges... I've only touched on a few. Generally Wyoming is a great place to live, but you still need to be aware that not everything is easily obtained and done, without forethought and planning.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Challenges: Finding housing can be a challenge, especially places which allow pets or are within your price range.

Challenges: In weather, it can be WINDY... quite a lot... which has a wearing effect.What WyoNewk said is correct... some people do not acclimate to the landscape/climate/weather well.

Challenge: Travel- Far drives between areas of shopping etc. It took me a good six months to start feeling "at home" after moving from the "big cities" (Minneapolis/St Paul area) to a town of 7500. For some people, that slowing down part is hard to accept. Though nowadays online shopping has made it more convenient so not necessarily a challenge, except maybe specialty things in the food section.

Not much rain... more likely you'll have snow in all months except maybe August

Challenges: to health... heart and respiratory issues become more prevalent at higher altitude places. Not all areas have level 3 trauma centers and it may be that a helicopter ride to one isn't feasible.

Challenges: Water- there isn't a lot of it, and even if there is water on your land, you might not have the right to it. Yes this does pose challenges for avid gardeners, when the growing season is 42 days long sometimes... You may not personally garden, but there are those who do.

Challenges: Finding jobs you are qualified to do/enjoy/pay well. Unless you are independently wealthy, money matters. Rent can be upwards of 1000/month on some places, and that doesn't always include heating, electricity, and other amenities. Add on gas for your vehicle, vehicle tabs/licensing, food and other necessities, and even sometimes paying to haul water, it adds up quickly.

There are many challenges... I've only touched on a few. Generally Wyoming is a great place to live, but you still need to be aware that not everything is easily obtained and done, without forethought and planning.
Thanks for the info. Still sounds like a great place to live. Especially if you are looking for isolation away from the big city crowds and traffic.
Well at least it isn't $3,500 for a one bedroom apt. We would welcome a population less than 10,000 and down. Would prefer a newer house not sure if Wyoming has that many. Won't be working but retired. I wouldn't expect gas or most items in Wyoming to cost more than what we pay here since we have the highest cost of living on everything in the whole country. To get more privacy, less government and less taxes are more important.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:27 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times
Don't fool yourself: there are challenges.
Health care costs are higher here
Gas and utilities are higher
Food costs can be high, and selection can be very seasonal
Vehicle registration is costly
It's cold and windy
Seasonal affective disorder is a real thing here....and it's even discussed by doctors
Driving hours to get to a doctor or dentist in your insurance network. For us, we drive to Billings from Powell a few times a month
Limited cell service and options
Small towns-can be a blessing and a curse

Don't get me wrong, I love living here and so does my family, BUT we moved to Laramie over 6 years ago, couldn't hang and went back to Texas. Left Texas in 2014 and have been in Powell since.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,908 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound too challenging or bad with arid climates especially if you like cold weather and rain as I do and fog. I am not into gardening as I would prefer to have more house than land but still prefer isolation with low population.

As far as women go they will come and they will go.
It doesn't really ever rain here. I have lived in Laramie and now live in the Powell/Cody area. Haven't seen rain in a while...like months.

I've only encountered about 5 foggy days in the past year or so.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Still sounds like a great place to live. Especially if you are looking for isolation away from the big city crowds and traffic.
Well at least it isn't $3,500 for a one bedroom apt. We would welcome a population less than 10,000 and down. Would prefer a newer house not sure if Wyoming has that many. Won't be working but retired. I wouldn't expect gas or most items in Wyoming to cost more than what we pay here since we have the highest cost of living on everything in the whole country. To get more privacy, less government and less taxes are more important.
I moved here thirteen years ago from Colorado when the voters of that once great state passed an initiative to require police background checks of all buyers at gun shows. I've never regretted it.

There are plenty of newer homes for sale all over the state; you'll have no problem there.

To answer the people saying there are challenges I can only say that I've never found any of importance.

I had a cell phone in Colorado; I have one here. Service is the same.

Vehicle registration is high but goes down as vehicles age. Satellite phones are good for people traveling much in remotee areas.

I had hip surgery in Billings, but I had my physical therapy here. I seldom go to Billings. It's been at least a year since my last trip.

I have no problem buying groceries, either basiic or goodies. I can buy Roquefort and Humboldt Fog locally. Buying from out of town is just as easy here as anyplace else.

Winds vary around the state. Casper is very windy Evanston rarely has high wind.

I like living out of town because the only government is a county board. I've never had an HOA; I don't intend to start now. This is the reason for land. Forty acres or more requires no subdivision. There are also many grandfathered properties that are smaller but free of subdivisions.

Carrying a concealed weapon only requires that you are wearing enough clothes to conceal it.

There are no rules on open carry or vehicle carry.

There's no state income tax and property taxes are low.

Random police check points are illegal.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Don't fool yourself: there are challenges.
Health care costs are higher here
Gas and utilities are higher
Food costs can be high, and selection can be very seasonal
Vehicle registration is costly
It's cold and windy
Seasonal affective disorder is a real thing here....and it's even discussed by doctors
Driving hours to get to a doctor or dentist in your insurance network. For us, we drive to Billings from Powell a few times a month
Limited cell service and options
Small towns-can be a blessing and a curse

Don't get me wrong, I love living here and so does my family, BUT we moved to Laramie over 6 years ago, couldn't hang and went back to Texas. Left Texas in 2014 and have been in Powell since.
Where is Powell?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I moved here thirteen years ago from Colorado when the voters of that once great state passed an initiative to require police background checks of all buyers at gun shows. I've never regretted it.

There are plenty of newer homes for sale all over the state; you'll have no problem there.

To answer the people saying there are challenges I can only say that I've never found any of importance.

I had a cell phone in Colorado; I have one here. Service is the same.

Vehicle registration is high but goes down as vehicles age. Satellite phones are good for people traveling much in remotee areas.

I had hip surgery in Billings, but I had my physical therapy here. I seldom go to Billings. It's been at least a year since my last trip.

I have no problem buying groceries, either basiic or goodies. I can buy Roquefort and Humboldt Fog locally. Buying from out of town is just as easy here as anyplace else.

Winds vary around the state. Casper is very windy Evanston rarely has high wind.

I like living out of town because the only government is a county board. I've never had an HOA; I don't intend to start now. This is the reason for land. Forty acres or more requires no subdivision. There are also many grandfathered properties that are smaller but free of subdivisions.

Carrying a concealed weapon only requires that you are wearing enough clothes to conceal it.

There are no rules on open carry or vehicle carry.

There's no state income tax and property taxes are low.

Random police check points are illegal.
I hear what you are saying. They have gone overboard on firearms. Plus they keep coming up with all of these taxes which are just money making schemes. You can never get a CCW in California. Not that it is needed because it is but now they want to start video taping customers buying ammo. It's got out of control and is a police state. No state income tax is a good thing. Little or no government limiting your freedoms is no good. Don't care to have anykind of Homeowner Assoc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming