Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 08:51 PM

47 posts, read 136,784 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate everyone's opinions on which of these places would you pick to live. I like to hunt, fish and snowmobiling. I would eventually buy some land and build my house. Please be detailed on the good and bad of each area, since I haven't been to either one before. Before I make a commitment, I need to know as much about each place to help make a decision. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Lusk is in the least populated County in the USA, not much for sledding, lots of private ground. Rawlins middle of no where, but a truck and trailer can get you close to snowmobiling, and probably a lot better fishing and hunting and public ground to do both.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:56 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Rawlins has better proximity to quality hunting and snowmobiling, IMO. Rawlins is a much bigger town as well (9k vs less than 2k in Lusk).

Having said that, any particular reason you narrowed it down to those two? Not sure how much land you are looking for or what you want to do with it, other than build a home, but I wouldn't really consider any land around Rawlins productive in any fashion. Rawlins is higher in elevation with a more arid climate than Lusk. Of course, no consideration of Rawlins is complete without discussing the wind.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:32 AM

47 posts, read 136,784 times
NP78: These are the 2 places where a possible job is at. So what you are saying, is you really can't grow anything in the Rawlins area? And I have hears/read about the wind, basically all across wyoming, being continuos. Ya, I'd like to put up a small house and large garage and plant myself in either place. That's my idea I have right now.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:32 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Rawlins is larger. Lusk is closer to the Black Hills. Not bad hunting around Lusk. Both are hard to get to if you need to use commercial airlines, IMO.

I'm guessing you might be in corrections.

I like Lusk better as a town, but that may be because I'm from a little ways west of there.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:51 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
Lusk is way more 'slower-pace' (of life) than Rawlins, mostly because it's much quieter country. Rawlins just 'feels' rushed and noisey, owing to the fact that I-80 goes right through it.

And assuming you ARE in corrections, I guess you also want to give thought to which gender you'd prefer working with. Last I heard, Lusk was the woman's state-pen, and Rawlins is where the men go.

Lusk has the older of the two state-pens, and it seems Rawlins has 'issues' with the new(er) facility, from what I've heard...but I could be wrong.

Rawlins has a Wallmart now; it's a small place...but added with the other grocery stores (one of them is rather nice, as far as I'm concerned) and one other dept store...one no longer really NEEDS to fight the interstate-traffic to make the run-downhill (and then back uphill) to/from Laramie for anything but the biggest items.

Lusk...really doesn't have all that much going for it (shopping-wise) but a well-stocked country grocery. The next Wallmart from there would be quite a few miles west (to Chadron) and it is a very nice store, along with quite a few farm/ranch supply stores in town, as well...

...or you have your choice of heading south to Cheyenne or west to Casper, for most anything else you could possibly want; both by Interstate.

My gut-instinct tells me you want a 'quiet' place to live, off the clock, and after retirement...so my advice would be Lusk.

You should check it out first, though. Early January, and then again in Mid-summer.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:06 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
"few miles west (to Chadron)" think you mean east as Nebraska is east of Wyoming

Old 10-24-2015, 04:27 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
"few miles west (to Chadron)" think you mean east as Nebraska is east of Wyoming
As of yesterday Chadron was East of Wyoming. But things change?

Old 10-24-2015, 09:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I hope you realize that neither are in scenic areas. Both could be considered high plains deserts. Rawlins is a fair bit higher and has the Red Desert nearby (Visit Southwestern Wyoming: Sweetwater County), and it's not that far from some nice mountains, but it's likely a far cry from what you're used to in Alaska. (I lived in Alaska for 3 years before settling in Wyoming 45 years ago.)

I've read that Rawlins has been "revitalizing" their downtown, but for decades it's not been a very pretty town. I've never spent much time there to speak of, but I hired a couple people from there who were both very happy to leave the town behind... and move to Gillette, which isn't in a very scenic area either. In fairness, this was years ago. Gillette's improved in those years; Rawlins probably has too.

I regret that I've never investigated the Red Desert. It's a long ways from where I live, and I just never took the time to see it, other than traveling through.

I've been through Lusk, but I think I blinked. If you desire a quiet, laid-back area, you might like it. People I've known from Lusk were fine folks -- friendly, honest and salt-of-the-earth. I credit one of them, who I was privileged to call a casual friend, for saving my life 25 years ago. My son, an avid golfer, looks forward to an annual golf tournament in Lusk. It's an hour or two drive from there to the Black Hills, and there's nothing else around other than semi-arid high plains.

Sorry I can't be of more help. If I had to pick between Lusk and Rawlins, I'd pick the latter. Rawlins is closer to better outdoor opportunities, imho, and while the town doesn't offer much for shopping and entertainment, it easily beats Lusk. You really NEED to visit these places before committing, in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:05 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
There IS Guernsey reservoir west of Lusk. And a good elk hunting area southwest of town. Some people from the area go to Scottsbluff if they are Walmart fans. There is some hill country with public access west of Lusk, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming