Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,130 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Wy in about 2 years - looking at Central - Northern part - just took notice of Pine Haven area - any thoughts? looks nice, also like the Cody area, also Meeteetse. I have read several forums on here but see no mention of Pine Haven. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 AM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
Pine Haven is essentially a bedroom community tucked up next to Keyhole Reservoir. I've not seen much going on there on my way to/from camping out at the Res when I've been calling on accounts in the Gillette area.

Geographically, you've mentioned a wide range of towns and totally different situations ....

Do you have specific concerns about moving to Wyoming for which the forum can be of assistance?

Old 01-20-2016, 09:15 AM

99 posts, read 147,911 times
Yup, as was said, you are describing a large swath of land encompassing multiple towns. We would need to know more about your hobby aspirations and career plans. Some of those areas are beautiful and will afford you access to outdoor recreation not usually seen in the lower 48, yet you may have to drive over an hour to get groceries. You may work online as some web consultant, but many of these areas have limited/unreliable internet connectivity.

WM

Old 01-20-2016, 12:13 PM

3,635 posts, read 6,222,473 times
lot more pine trees at Pine Haven then at Pinedale or Big Piney

Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 PM

my husband will be retiring - 50 years young - he is an avid outdoors man and fisherman and would love to have some land to call his own. We definitely like the North Western part of the state - visited Cody/Yellowstone several years ago. Love the mountains - we are from PA so really have no info or connections in Wy - at this point we are looking all over the mid-nw part of the state. Our son is currently in tech school for welding and plans to relocate with us - so we are concerned with job opportunities for him as well. Meeteetse looks like a nice little town - looking to head out your way this summer - camping and scouting areas - any suggestions would be much appreciated! also campground recommendations. Hobbies/likes: hunting/fishing, gardening, church, small town living.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,227,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyhack View Post
We are looking to move to Wy in about 2 years - looking at Central - Northern part - just took notice of Pine Haven area - any thoughts? looks nice, also like the Cody area, also Meeteetse. I have read several forums on here but see no mention of Pine Haven. Thanks for your help!
Since you mentioned Meeteetse. There is a weekly News letter, Meeteetse Bulletin, sent out on line every Wednesday, originating from the Meeteetse visitor center. I signed up on-line at the meeteetse web page a couple of years ago! It will give you a feel about the town and any events planned around for the weekends or coming months. Also news about high school sports teams. It also lists Real Estate for sale and rentals in town. I look forward to getting the news letter every Wednesday. I usually get my email in the morning before lunch time. Sign up it might provide you some good information you are looking for.
Scott

Old 01-21-2016, 12:04 AM

thanks! I noticed they have a really nice website - looks like a really quaint little town!

Old 01-21-2016, 12:43 PM

99 posts, read 147,911 times
Having spent some time in Meeteetse, I'll weigh in a bit more.

It is a nice small town, but along with that comes a lack of amenities which I feel most people who are not raised that way will miss. The nearest town is Cody or Powell (you turn left or right at an intersection). On dry roads they are about 35 minutes away. In the winter it may take an hour, or the road may be closed for a few days. And winter lasts 9 months out of the year, so those closures add up LOL.

There is a gas station where you can get some provisions if needed, but it should not be considered a full on grocery store. Expect to take trips up to Cody fairly often.

The fire department is completely volunteer, as is the ambulance. One thing to keep in mind is that advanced life support type care can be quite a distance away. If you are capable, and DO move there, please consider volunteering. There is always a crunch for staffing.

Meeteetse is a good place to live for the retired who don't have somewhere to be in a hurry. Depending on the age of your son, it can be difficult to find a job and forget the notion of any type of social life. There just aren't many options in the area.

Aside from that, it is a great area. I was born on a small ranch in Wyoming and am used to remote living. But when I got married to my wife, who came from large cities in Georgia, she was not able to adjust to such living. Her sister lives in Cody and while that seems like a gigantic town to me, it is nothing but an amenity free oasis where her sister happens to live. So your success in living in such an area will greatly depend on how your brain can adjust.

Enjoy the vacationing,

Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 PM

thanks everyone for all the info -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming