Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM

72 posts, read 238,752 times

Advertisements

A builder who talks straight, understands good value and isn't playing the rip off game is Travis Weaver, of Weaver Construction. Have been through houses he has built. They will last a while. We just haven't found an "affordable" piece of property that we care to build on yet or he would be building us a house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,365,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmckee View Post
A builder who talks straight, understands good value and isn't playing the rip off game is Travis Weaver, of Weaver Construction. Have been through houses he has built. They will last a while. We just haven't found an "affordable" piece of property that we care to build on yet or he would be building us a house!

Coincidentally, I talked to a builder with the first name of Travis the other day. He said he's leaving town, tired of the bull.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
I don't understand what is going on in Sheridan right now.

First of all, we have an extreme shortage of houses. I have friends that are contractor (I used to carry the license) and they are saying that they are booked all winter and can't find enough guys to work. But they're plugging along.

On the other hand, the SawMill laid off 50 of their 76 employees because nobody is buying studs. That's their biggest product.

And we have contractors leaving because of the "Bull". Did he happen to mention just what the "Bull" was that he was tired of? The reason I ask is because non of my contractor friends have said anything about anything strange going on. So I'm curious.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

First of all, we have an extreme shortage of houses. I have friends that are contractor (I used to carry the license) and they are saying that they are booked all winter and can't find enough guys to work. But they're plugging along.

On the other hand, the SawMill laid off 50 of their 76 employees because nobody is buying studs. That's their biggest product.

And we have contractors leaving because of the "Bull". Did he happen to mention just what the "Bull" was that he was tired of? The reason I ask is because non of my contractor friends have said anything about anything strange going on. So I'm curious.

The guy I talked to, and I don't know if it's the guy mentioned or not, but he said he's sick of the attitudes of all of the newcomers he's been building for. I guess he does custom or semi-custom homes, and he says all the ones he's been doing are for "easterners" and he's had it up to his neck with them... and he's going back to Wisconsin. Didn't want to tell him, but folks have attitudes in WI too.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
The guy I talked to, and I don't know if it's the guy mentioned or not, but he said he's sick of the attitudes of all of the newcomers he's been building for. I guess he does custom or semi-custom homes, and he says all the ones he's been doing are for "easterners" and he's had it up to his neck with them... and he's going back to Wisconsin. Didn't want to tell him, but folks have attitudes in WI too.
It sounds like you might have been talking to one and the same. The reason I say that is that normally, if the owner/manager is worth his weight, he's the only one that talks to the customer. He makes sure the customer doesn't bother his workers and be confused as to what the boss wanted and what the customer wanted. Customer will always try to slip in some extras if they can. I know I would. haha

So the boss is always one on one with the customer. And if this guy is talking about the attitudes of the customers, he's probably the boss. haha

One thing I have noticed is the local contractors are doing all the custom and semi custom houses. Most of them have crews of 10-15 men. The sub-divisions that are going in are done by developers and they are bringing out-of-town crews to do them. Course, it stands to reason. A town this size can't come up with a 100 man crew that only lasts 2 months and then it's complete.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Don't believe that it is the same "Travis". Mr. Travis Weaver is from Oklahoma originally. Spent time in the Black Hills before coming here.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Don't believe that it is the same "Travis". Mr. Travis Weaver is from Oklahoma originally. Spent time in the Black Hills before coming here.

Probably not him. He explicitly told me he was from the Green Bay area. Had to hold my purple and yellow tongue.

I'm originally from northern MN.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Well........can't be a cheesehead forever! I just talked to Travis Weaver and he knew of the "other" Travis. A guy be the name of Travis Maloney, and yep, it looks like Mr. Maloney is on his way out. So. Weaver's are in the phone book if you'd like to visit with him.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Well........can't be a cheesehead forever! I just talked to Travis Weaver and he knew of the "other" Travis. A guy be the name of Travis Maloney, and yep, it looks like Mr. Maloney is on his way out. So. Weaver's are in the phone book if you'd like to visit with him.

I'll keep him in mind. It may be a while before we decide to build. Gotta sell my current house first.. that's the biggie. Where I live now, nicely built newer (2 yrs old) 2000+ square foot house stays on the market for 3-5 months at $230k.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,049,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

I am a fairly new in the Sheridan area we have lived here a little over a year now, originally from a rural area in Oregon, so I have grown up in the west... Didn't care for Oregon though, and wanted a more small town atmosphere... anyways...

I can't figure things out either like Elk Hunter...

I mean the Saw mill laid off people, I have also heard the housing is taking a slight dip in Gillette. Yet everyone says that there is no end in sight to all this progress and it will be perpetual, which I know is not true, especially in a cyclical climate such as Wyoming...

I know supply and demand changes the price of homes, but I seriously can't understand how homes that just a few years ago you could get a mortgage of 300-600 dollars a month easily from what other locals have told me and my husband... are now worth $160 k up into the 200 or 300 thousands, three or four times what they sold for originally ect...

So my husband and I are stuck renting, which is even harder than buying, and we are scared to death to buy, because if everything collapses the prices will go back to similar to what they were and we are out a lot of money...

I seriously don't trust the present appraisals and what people are trying to sell their homes for, my gut instinct makes me feel like buying right now in town would make people lose money... Maybe if they stayed in their house the next 20 years and strapped themselves to it, they could come out ok...That is a big maybe though... But according the the short term I am not very confident in the housing market here or anywhere really...

What is the opinion of you guys that are the more long term locals???

Last edited by Kristynwy; 02-28-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming