Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2006, 07:28 PM

81 posts, read 469,167 times

Advertisements

In 2003 I was laid off by a telecommunications giant along with 11,000 of my co-workers. I made $26.00 an hour. After three years of looking for a job I am making $8.00 an hour and trying to raise my daughter alone. I am living in the city with the lowest wages in the state with the worst economy in the nation. At 39 years of age I would even consider taking a job that is unlike anything that I have ever done before. The city of Casper has captured my imagination. We are currently living far below the poverty level and would be moving on a shoestring budget. Could I find an aprtment or even a room for a month or two under $600.00 a month (that's what I am paying now), and a $12.00 to $15.00 an hour job? My brother just got back from Vegas and he says that jobs are plentiful but I am not wild about raising my 10 year old daughter in sin city. Wyoming seems more like "our" kind of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 11:29 PM

59 posts, read 239,836 times
We were in Rawlins, Wy the last week of September and had a hard time finding a hotel room due to all the workers in the area. Also every resturant, hotel and store we went to had help wanted signs. There were manufactured homes going through the area constantly. When we asked about them we were told that there was a new factory that made them in the area. They evidently were in great demand due to lack of housing in the area.
Also heard that Gillette has alot of work also.

There are news articles on the web that talk about it.

www.kgwn.tv/home/headlines/3503751.html (broken link)

www.helenair.com/articles/2006/08/17/national/a06081706_01.txt (broken link)

Hope this helps you. Good luck to you.

Last edited by bzbzlady; 11-20-2006 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: web addresses

Old 11-21-2006, 10:17 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times
Default wyoming jobs

There are jobs everywhere in WY. Pay for most is good. I'm not sure about the housing in Casper. Check out the newspaper. www.trib.com. I hope this helps. I live about 100 miles south of Casper. If there's anything else I can help you with let me know - I'll see what I can do.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,599 times
Default High-paying jobs driving mega-trucks in Gillette, WY

Hi,

I saw a news report about jobs driving those behemoth dump trucks in Gillette, WY. They're supposed to pay well. Can someone direct me to the employer so I can contact them? A web site address or telephone number would be preferable but even their company name would be helpful.

Thanks!

V.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:10 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times
Default big trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vykyng View Post
Hi,

I saw a news report about jobs driving those behemoth dump trucks in Gillette, WY. They're supposed to pay well. Can someone direct me to the employer so I can contact them? A web site address or telephone number would be preferable but even their company name would be helpful.

Thanks!

V.
Google coal mines, WY and you will see several. Also check out the Wy Workforce Center website (www.wyomingworkforce.org) (broken link). They do pay well. Usually there is a starting wage with an increase after a trial period. For all these jobs you need a clean driving record and be able to pass the drug test and you'll probably be hired at your first interview.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:51 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,178 times
You can do it ! and you can make a good life for your family in Wyoming. Tons of jobs, don't worry about experience if you can pee clean and are trainable you will have a job within a week. Try americas job bank also for jobs. In Gillette the job bank people are going to other states to find workers.
Also note that with this boom comes lots of "sin" . I lived through the 1970's boom in Rock Springs and did fine. You just make a choice of who you hang out with and you will be fine . Wyomiles

Old 12-23-2006, 10:51 PM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
I, rents are far cheaper. Try finding the Casper Star-Tribune online. There are good paying jobs but sometimes you have to make-do with something less. You will need to maintain your vehicle better than ever before - you can't afford to be without one in Wyoming altho there are many "crew" jobs that pick you up and drop you off. You may definitely be doing a lot of things you've never done before - that's how we do it here! That's why many of us are here! I don't think I've read where in MI you're living, but I lived there during the depressed 70's and know what you're saying. Helpful links provided to you by other folks - be sure to check them out. Bring your boots - get hi-tops - rattlesnakes live here too. Different world - forget half of all you know ahead of time(lol).

Last edited by RockyMtnr; 12-23-2006 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Left point unexplained
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming