Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,776,759 times

Advertisements

"If you have a portable GPS and all you can figure out is the displayed latitude and longitude - this is enough for a Trooper to find you, which can be VERY helpful if you slid off the highway or into an embankment that prevents your car from being seen from the highway. You can get them for under $100 now."
Thank you TGM - I have been wanting a GPS and now I know I NEED one!!

This wonderful list IMO needs "A good man" added to the list - probably somewhere very near the top! The list also further makes me certain that I have no business driving in weather conditions that I would need the majority of those items. That said, I do keep an emergency bag only mine has dress shoes in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,901,019 times
Quote:
Clay Lady;2957028This wonderful list IMO needs "A good man" added to the list - probably somewhere very near the top! The list also further makes me certain that I have no business driving in weather conditions that I would need the majority of those items. That said, I do keep an emergency bag only mine has dress shoes in it.
You make a good point. If you think it's bad enough to warrent things on that list, don't go.

But there lies the problem. This is Wyoming. You can leave home and the weather is fine. But half way to the next town, you encounter weather that may cause you to wish you had the things on the list.

Wyoming is not like a lot of other places. There are miles and miles between help or another town. It's not like back east that there's a town every 5 miles.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-28-2008 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM

471 posts, read 1,504,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
You guys have put together a great list. I wish everyone would be as prepared.

I just wanted to comment on the CB radio that was briefly mentioned. If you travel much during the winter, this would be a very wise investment. Most all Wyoming State Troopers monitor either ch 19 or ch 9. And even if there is no Trooper near you, if you are traveling on or near a highway, there is most likely going to be a trucker that will hear you on Ch 19.

Also, about 80% of the Troopers have GPS in the car, which should be 100% within a month or two. If you have a portable GPS and all you can figure out is the displayed latitude and longitude - this is enough for a Trooper to find you, which can be VERY helpful if you slid off the highway or into an embankment that prevents your car from being seen from the highway. You can get them for under $100 now.

Stay safe out there!

TGM
Wyoming State Trooper
Wow, this is really great info to have TGM. Thanks.

Let's all remember channel 19 (or 9) for CBs, and glad to know the GPS units are getting more affordable.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Wow, this is really great info to have TGM. Thanks.

Let's all remember channel 19 (or 9) for CBs, and glad to know the GPS units are getting more affordable.
Channel 9 for Emergency's and Channel 19 for standard Highway traffic has been the norm on CB's for over 40 years. Isn't hard for me to remember.

One thing to remember, a hand held CB is only good for about a half mile, on a good day. Usually shorter.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:16 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,043,212 times
Our Cobra Handheld Cb/Two Way Radios were the best investment we ever bought as far as Traveling...

One of these days we want to get a GPS

Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,776,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
Our Cobra Handheld Cb/Two Way Radios were the best investment we ever bought as far as Traveling...

What is it about your Handheld cb that makes you feel it was a good investment?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM

[quote=Clay Lady;2957028Snip

This wonderful list IMO needs "A good man" added to the list - probably somewhere very near the top! The list also further makes me certain that I have no business driving in weather conditions that I would need the majority of those items. That said, I do keep an emergency bag only mine has dress shoes in it.[/QUOTE]

Now see how you are? I always figured part of the kit should be "a good woman". haha Maybe I should add "Significant other" to the list so it will cover all circumstances?

Also, in another post you asked about CB's. I'd like to throw in my two cents on that.

When I was growing up, my dad was a member of REACT. It's a club that has chapters in many towns. They are for emergency radio communications. In Rapid City, we had a very active club. On holidays like Halloween, the REACT would have patrols in town to watch for vandalism. If we saw something, we'd call our dispatch. Our dispatch was set up in the police station. They'd relay the info to the police and the problem was dealt with. During winter storms, or summer floods, again, we would patrol. But also we had people in various parts of town that monitored channel 9 to assist in anybody calling. At that time, the police and HP didn't carry CB radios. So we'd monitor the channel and if a call come in, we'd get whatever assistance we could to help the situation.

While traveling down the highway, 99% of those truckers have CB's. If you are in trouble, you can call out for help. They may not stop, but they'll darn sure pass the word down the line and get you some help.

While traveling you come up to stopped traffic. Get on the CB and you'll find out why the traffic is stopped and about how long you are going to wait before it starts moving. Or even find out that if you take exit number XXX, turn left at the light, go 1 mile, turn left at such and such, and you'll bypass the accident.

The big thing about a CB is it's not like a cell phone. It's direct line of site normally which means you can talk to anybody within a few miles. Sometimes farther depending on the terrain. But that's a CB that's mounted under your dash and has a normal antenna. It's 5 watts of power. A handheld does that same thing but most are only 1 watt. Hence, a lot shorter distance. But if your broke down along the highway, and a trucker goes by, you can talk to him quickly before he gets out of range. Or, if you and significant other (notice how politically correct I'm getting. haha) are traveling in different vehicles, as in moving. You can chat back and forth or inform the other that you really, really, need to stop and investigate the next rest area.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,043,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy:
Quote:
Originally posted by Clay Lady:
What is it about your Handheld cb that makes you feel it was a good investment?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elkhunter:
Also, in another post you asked about CB's. I'd like to throw in my two cents on that.

When I was growing up, my dad was a member of REACT. It's a club that has chapters in many towns. They are for emergency radio communications. In Rapid City, we had a very active club. On holidays like Halloween, the REACT would have patrols in town to watch for vandalism. If we saw something, we'd call our dispatch. Our dispatch was set up in the police station. They'd relay the info to the police and the problem was dealt with. During winter storms, or summer floods, again, we would patrol. But also we had people in various parts of town that monitored channel 9 to assist in anybody calling. At that time, the police and HP didn't carry CB radios. So we'd monitor the channel and if a call come in, we'd get whatever assistance we could to help the situation.

While traveling down the highway, 99% of those truckers have CB's. If you are in trouble, you can call out for help. They may not stop, but they'll darn sure pass the word down the line and get you some help.

While traveling you come up to stopped traffic. Get on the CB and you'll find out why the traffic is stopped and about how long you are going to wait before it starts moving. Or even find out that if you take exit number XXX, turn left at the light, go 1 mile, turn left at such and such, and you'll bypass the accident.

The big thing about a CB is it's not like a cell phone. It's direct line of site normally which means you can talk to anybody within a few miles. Sometimes farther depending on the terrain. But that's a CB that's mounted under your dash and has a normal antenna. It's 5 watts of power. A handheld does that same thing but most are only 1 watt. Hence, a lot shorter distance. But if your broke down along the highway, and a trucker goes by, you can talk to him quickly before he gets out of range. Or, if you and significant other (notice how politically correct I'm getting. haha) are traveling in different vehicles, as in moving. You can chat back and forth or inform the other that you really, really, need to stop and investigate the next rest area.
Elkhunter really summed it up well... The kind of CB's that are installed in the truck get our farther distances, my husband has one of those in his smaller pickup truck with an antenna mounted in the back... and it came in handy a lot when we were first married... We would go up into the mountains, and one time we found a Sheriff on the CB and he lead up to the place we wanted to go, it was really neat... Or if we ever went on a road trip, truckers or nice people would warn everyone about an accident up ahead or a back up in traffic...

But as far as our hand held radios... My husband and I moved from Oregon in the middle of winter to Wyoming last Feb.
If I needed gas or he needed gas we could tell each other, if I had any trouble he was only one click away... or if I wanted to pull over and see something... at the time my little girl was a toddler and she stayed pretty occupied with her toys, but that hand held cb gave me a way to talk to my husband and not be bored the whole trip... now it wouldn't get the distance of a mounted cb, but we tested it with a friend of our's in town before we moved and it got a pretty good distance, enough to be useful if we got stuck... If we needed to call for help it would be a lot more reliable than a cell phone possibly, especially if someone was nearby... plus the weather radio feature really really helped us prepare and stop if we needed to...

And this list goes on... I still use them ever so often too...

At the time also it was cheaper to get two of the hand helds for us than the mountable cbs... although we want to get a mountable cb in our 4 wheel drive truck eventually...

Last edited by Kristynwy; 02-29-2008 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,504,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Channel 9 for Emergency's and Channel 19 for standard Highway traffic has been the norm on CB's for over 40 years. Isn't hard for me to remember.
I think someone is showing off, Mr. ElkHunter.

I must admit, it is news to me ... but at least I'm learning! ...channel 9, channel 19, channel 9, channel 19...

I'm all for the "good man" being there when we need him (or significant other) but ladies, we do need to know how to take care of ourselves just in case, especially if we have children with us. Practice putting on those snow chains and changing a tire and all...

I remember a family trip from TX to FL and back. We were in 2 vehicles. Had cb radios to keep in touch. NH license plates on my grandparents van. A trucker over the cb was saying something like "those are the nicest legs from NH I have ever seen" as he passed. My sister was sitting up front with her feet on the dashboard, wearing shorts. Those truckers...

Last edited by emeraldsky; 02-29-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 591,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
The kind of CB's that are installed in the truck get our farther distances, my husband has one of those in his smaller pickup truck with an antenna mounted in the back...

Or if we ever went on a road trip, truckers or nice people would warn everyone about an accident up ahead or a back up in traffic... and it came in handy a lot...

And this list goes on
... I still use them ever so often too...
Yea... go ahead and say it... it's OK...

They also give you a "warning" when I or my buddies are waiting for you in the median just on the other side of that hill.... I know you were dying to say it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming