Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM

37 posts, read 94,482 times

Advertisements

Claim Jumper,

I live off of Lower South Fork Road.

As you probably already know, South Fork Road is a dead end road that is about 40 miles long. The last ten miles are gravel. At the very end of the road there is a general parking area where a couple different trails will lead you into Shoshone National Forest.

Deer Creek Campground is located a couple miles before the end of South Fork Road. Dry camping only. Camping sites can handle pick-ups with campers or very short trailers. Would not recommend pop-ups. Deer Creek trail starts here and leads up to the Thorofare.

Buckstitch Canvas makes the tee pees that you refer to. They are located in Cody. They are an outdoor supplier that caters to "hardcore" outfitters and outdoorsmen(women).

The South Fork is very windy during winter and spring. The wind blows for two or three days then stops for a week or so. The wind usually brings warmer weather with it.

I am apprehensive to tell many people about this place. Do not want to spoil it. Like I said earlier very, very, windy.....most people should probably stay away.

Pronghorn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 12:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,568 times
Default Thorofare

Thanks for that info. I one day want to go hunting and hiking in the Thorofare. I know someone there in Cody who walked from the end of SouthFork into Yellowstone. He had to climb some trees twice because of bears, but had an awesome experience.

I have heard about the Thorofare on the Outdoor channel on TV and have watched some hunters on the program talk about it.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Default The T.E. Ranch Cody WY.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Default T.E. Ranch

I stacked hay for Bob Kapron <sp in the summer of 1975 all summer long . We stacked the T.E. hay also! We worked from 7am to 7pm. I thought it was pretty hard work too.

We did take a 1 hour lunch break and listned to Paul Harvey news. I enjoyed listening to Paul and they way he delivered the stories.

While hunting in this area I saw a Sow Grizzly with two older cubs.
Even though she was down in the field a long ways from me, it still put me on edge, knowing that she had cubs, I did not want to run into them.

Makes you always alert and on edge knowing that grizzly bears are roaming where you are hunting.

The T.E. has some big problems now with the bears.
Look at all the buildings on the ranch. The river runs just behing the buildings where all the trees are.

The grizzly track I show a picture of was where I was walking. Now you might know what I mean by being on edge! I saw the track the very next day after I had seen her and the cubs. I looked all over for other tracks but that was all I could see.

Last edited by Claim Jumper; 01-09-2009 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: addition to

Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
That is a beautiful image, Claim Jumper.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 PM

3 posts, read 13,302 times
yeah
thats our football team
Attached Thumbnails
Official Wyoming Picture Thread-blaine-1.jpg  

Old 01-09-2009, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 13,302 times
[URL="http://www.wyomingexpeditions.com/_wizardimages/Mike%20S.%20(Wyoming).jpg"]http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:...0(Wyoming).jpg[/URL]shot that with my 30 06 w/ nikon 12/32 scope

Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks HighlandLady It is a big sized ranch.

diabetic airsofter nice elk

Old 01-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Default Wilderness camping

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM

Like I said in another post. It started to rain lightly just as we finished unloading our gear etc. We had a tent and double bedrolls rated at 20 degree below zero sleeping bags.
This was the first snow in 2006 late September. We went through most of that firewood in less than 2 days.

It rained all late afternoon then it snowed all night. We felt bad for the horses so we walked about 5 miles hunting without the horses. No signs of elk and it snowed all that next day so we agreed to leave the next morning.

Where are some more pictures ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming