Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 AM

38 posts, read 47,963 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing in the 'overall' category the answers will be pretty bleak, but how about strictly Downtown?

If some lowly denizen lived directly in the center city, would they be able to bop on over to the supermarket, bop to the laundromat, bop bop to catch a movie, bop bop bop to the gym, the bank? All on their own two bi-pedals, only to then bop on back home with their stouffers mac 'n cheese?

Thank ya kindly folks. -tips his filthy dirty stetson obligingly-

..hahahaha...I kill me sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 AM

99 posts, read 148,383 times
No. There is no supermarket within walking distance. Nor laundromat that I know of. There is a gym, but it would me a mile or so walk. Not bad in summer, pretty bad most of winter. There are two movie theaters you could go to, but they are one screen a piece, so you would be limited. A number of banks abound, so no worries there.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,162,403 times
I've walked from downtown to the mall and back a couple times, but that was when I walked 10 miles a day for exercise. I don't spend much time in Casper, but I'm going to guess it's about 3 miles from downtown to the mall. I *believe* there's a grocery store before you get to the mall, but that may have changed without me noticing it.

You might be able to do it, but you'd have to enjoy long walks. A bicycle would make it easier -- and probably scarier.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 PM

138 posts, read 171,185 times
As Wyoming_Medic and WyoNewk say, there is no grocery store downtown. Wyoming_Medic has forgotten the Fox theater downtown in all of its 3-screen budget glory. I could also swear that there is a laundromat downtown, but I've not been paying super close attention when out on my bike. Grocery stores are a good ways out on either side of town. The Ridley's on CY is probably the closest, but the Albertson's on 2nd may be just as far. Neither is really close to downtown.

I walked to work every day this year (about a mile each way), and it wasn't bad save for a few days a year. No one seems to shovel their walk, so I did my share of walking on unplowed streets. The wind can make walking unpleasant, but the lack of snow removal is the kicker. It's really bad everywhere in town.

I've got a coworker who gets by with no car, but he's mentioned learning how to drive more and more.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 AM

10,269 posts, read 13,789,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heart View Post
I'm guessing in the 'overall' category the answers will be pretty bleak, but how about strictly Downtown?

If some lowly denizen lived directly in the center city, would they be able to bop on over to the supermarket, bop to the laundromat, bop bop to catch a movie, bop bop bop to the gym, the bank? All on their own two bi-pedals, only to then bop on back home with their stouffers mac 'n cheese?

You could catch a movie, go to the bank, and go to the gym, but there isn't a grocery store or laundromat within walking distance, unless things have changed much.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,691,982 times
I know a bunch of folks in New York City who live that way, but it just wouldn't work in Casper.

(Which is why we didn't retire in New York City...)

Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,342,212 times
Depends largely on where exactly you are able to land an affordable rental/housing.

That said, it would'nt be entirely 'impossible' to live 'green' (so-to-speak) in Casper, but there are times (as stated above on other replies) where it WON'T be 'pleasant'.

25 yrs ago, I would've rather enjoyed living that way...Casper has everything I would've needed to be 'happy' as a modern-day Wyo/metro-suburbinite...I actually did that (travelled everywhere by bicycle or public-transit in a 35 mile radius of where I was living with my father on the east coast) but 24 yrs of living independantly, remotely and 'semi off-grid' (off gravel roads on ranches) has somewhat skewed my perceptions of that type of...'lifestyle' I myself once lived) and I could never go back to it.

If you're young and have the means...then by ALL means, follow your heart and do whatever you gotta do.

You never know till you try, right ? ?

Last edited by Ltdumbear; 07-14-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 04:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,983,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Heart View Post

You could do that. I wouldn’t want to do it, but it is possible. This might help you. There is a very limited bus service in Casper, that you could use to go shopping and places you can’t walk to.

CATC Bus

When I was a kid my family lived on the southwest side of Casper. Me and my friends would walk to Downtown, but it took forever. Walking in the summer heat, I would get all sweaty. The wintertime walking was cold and there was always a crazy wind. It was OK when I was a kid, but I sure wouldn’t want to do that again.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,239,956 times
There small town Like Afton , Jackson, Kemmerer that would work, even Laramie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming