Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Rawlins in a few months and need to find a place to work on my art projects. I am a multi-media artist with three kilns for firing clay. My current studio is about 1500 sq ft but I could get by with less space. I am hoping to find space to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:37 AM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
Are you willing to drive outside of Rawlins ? If so you might want to look at a couple of small towns that might have something for you. Look at Saratoga and Hanna. Driving in the winter might be a problem though.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 PM

What is it about Saratoga and Hanna that you think I might find interesting Wyomiles? I will have to look them up on a map. Finding a place to work in Rawlins is my first choice. I don't plan on spending the winter in Rawlins.

Are there any Art Councils or art groups in Rawlins or anywhere in that general area?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
Saratoga has a few artsy type businesses already and there are several spaces for sale or rent. Hanna might have a very inexpensive place to buy or rent. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM

I am keeping my options very open by planning to put all my art stuff in storage at first. The house my husband bought is too small for a studio. I don't want a full time business. Most of what I do is contracted for in advance or to be sold via galleries. One of the things I like to do is work with the Artist-in-Education program which requires your time during the school day. My husband has blocks of time off work that I would like my time free to enjoy.

I will check out Saratoga. It would be nice to share space. I have been enjoying reading all the posts about Wyoming and appreciate your advice.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:02 PM

362 posts, read 1,856,329 times
Clay Lady, you definitely want to check out Saratoga. It is an as of yet undiscovered art hamlet. It is without a doubt one of my absolute favorite towns in Wyoming, and it's in a breathtaking setting, so it should get those creative juices flowing. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM

lovethewest, my husband was just trying to help me remember driving through Saratoga this last summer. I barely remember since we drove around so much. That is what I loved about that area. There were so many interesting places. If Saratoga is your favorite place - I will absolutely check it out!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,545 times
I just moved to rawlins myself and found a place to live. You can call real estate companies about rentals. Also if it wasnt for I-80 being closed quite often due to snow or high winds, Saratoga would be an ideal place to live. Rawlins is larger and has more stores... but kinda dumpy compared to Saratoga.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Greetings JMay! I haven't made it to Rawlins yet. My current art project is taking longer to finish than I had orginally thought. Working with kids you never know and this is a huge project.

My concerns about being able to drive in Wyoming is why I plan to stay in Santa Barbara during the winter. That great plan is flawed when I checked out the web cams and saw all the snow on the ground recently in the Rawlins area. My husband keeps telling me I would be fine driving but..............

My husband went snowmobiling his last days off and stayed at a hotel in Saratoga. He didn't look around the town much since he was with a group of guys with traveling around on snow in mind. He is willing to leave where in Wyoming we live to me as long as I will just agree to live there part of the year!

I think it's funny you said Rawlins was larger and had more stores! I have been telling my girl friends I would be traveling to Casper and Cheyenne at least once a month to shop! Last summer I didn't have any trouble finding basic stuff in Rawlins. The town was a little plain but I liked the neighbors. If I put a studio in Rawlins I'll make it gaudy but classy!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I've been reading through this thread and your ideas on Art and there's something that bothers me.

Sarratoga is a wonderful little hamlet. But no traffic to sell your wares. Don't get me wrong, they do get some traffic but not what I expect you'd want in order to have a good customer base.

Rawlins would be more accesible, but think about clientel. Being on I-80, there's good shipping, lots of traffic. But the folks that pull of the Interstate are going to gas up, eat, and travel on. Rawlins isn't a good draw for people stopping and going through shops and what not.

If your thinking mostly mail order and shipping, then it really doesn't matter where you live as long as you can set up a good internet site.

Don't let the snow bother you. I realize that this last blast really tangled up I-80 and shut down several spots. But everything was open the next day. Most of the rest of the winter I-80 would only shut down in spots for a few hours during white out conditions and then open back up. This last one was a bit difference in it really crapped on everything down there. haha

Have you looked at other areas that are more of a tourist draw for customers? Buffalo, Story, Sheridan are all up against the Big Horn Mountains and get thousands of tourists through there. Or maybe Cody area where people are going in the East end of Yellowstone. These areas would have a lot more traffic if your looking for walk in business and yet they have the mountains for snowmobiling, camping, fishing and such.

Just my two cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming