Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,120,303 times

Advertisements

I like LL Bean. Being in Maine they have great winter options, including shoes but also they have wonderful customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 11:54 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,384,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Several very reasonable options, all good mail order companies with retail stores, great customer service, good prices, no hassle returns/exchanges:

1) Sierra Trading Post. Based in Cheyenne so shipping is close for lead times. Best to sign up for their online deals and promos where you'll get even more discounts off their already good prices. I shop their "3rd's" ... items that have been returned to the store for various reasons such as wrong size or distressed merchandise (such as floor merchandise that was damaged in some minor way, such as a pair of boots that were scuffed from people trying them on) ... huge discounts on this stuff.
Sierra is owned by TJX (TJ Maxx) since 2012 - most everything from them is seconds.

Cabelas, like Bass Pro are both overpriced. I buy most all my clothing at Sportsman's Warehouse, Big R, Pamida, Shopko. I prefer to support the local businesses when possible.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,176,853 times
Thanks everyone! Lots of great suggestions. I probably won't be moving there until November at the earliest, but my husband will start needing winter clothing fairly soon so I'll make sure to pass this information along to him.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,038,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Sierra is owned by TJX (TJ Maxx) since 2012 - most everything from them is seconds.

Sorry, wrong. One of my friends in Cheyenne has been a long term buyer for the company and she has mentioned that her job was to find the overstocks/last year's season merchandise in women's clothing and shoes.

While the Cheyenne local founders did sell the company to TJMaxx (for approx $300mil), the direction of TJX was to acquire the mail-order outlet presence that STP had developed for clothing sales. Hence, TJX uses STP's marketing for their overstocks/close-outs/slow moving merchandise ... in addition to the prior merchandising stream the STP had developed.

As a Cheyenne area consumer, I have a lot of opportunities to visit the retail store. There's a lot of 1st line merchandise there in all their product lines. I've bought numerous shoes, shirts, and outerwear there that was 1st line merchandise and the racks were stocked with only that ... as well as gloves, mittens, socks, a tent, housewear/kitchenwear (linens, blankets, cookwear, kitchen knives), and so forth. We have made a point of outfitting our guests from out of the area with stops at STP ... buying complete wardrobes of work clothing from undies to outerwear, shirts, pants, coveralls, hats, gloves, and boots/shoes. We do so because it's the least expensive and consistent supplier of these goods, a "one-stop" outlet for our visitors who need appropriate clothing for camping/equine/cold weather trips here. Come to think of it, my last two "shorty" wetsuits and a pair of fishing waders were bought from STP ... all 1st line merchandise.

Yes, they do sell 2nd's. And you do need to note that in the product description on the catalogue pages, or you can search the catalogue for these items for some really smokin' deals. But it's not "most everything" they sell. I bought a $400 ski parka from them years ago for $72 ... a 2nd, the only problem I found with it was a misaligned zipper edge on a front slash pocket for glasses that made the zipper pull catch in the fabric. No big deal for me, I didn't use the pocket. A lovely item, very functional and comfortable ... it was 3 year old stale merchandise when I bought it.

Cabelas, like Bass Pro are both overpriced. I buy most all my clothing at Sportsman's Warehouse, Big R, Pamida, Shopko. I prefer to support the local businesses when possible.
As I pointed out, Cabela's does a lot of promotions and discounts which make them a very competitive supplier. For example, Mrs Sun and I shopped in the Sidney HQ store on Labor Day ... with a 10% discount coupon good on all our purchases. We shopped only sale rack merchandise and found some bargains ... for example, I'm partial to the Cabela's house brand work jeans (which are nicely cut/fitted for us older guys who aren't as svelte as we used to be) that are exceptionally durable and compare to the best from Duluth Trading Post or Carhartt workwear; $19.95 on the sale shelves and then the 10% discount on top of that. I'd call that a pretty competitive price and bought 2 pair.

Similarly, I found Cabela's house brand canvas long sleeve guide shirts on sale at $24.99. They only had 2 left on the sale rack in my size, but marked down from $39.99 ... worked for me. They were apparently mis-sized; normally I wear a Men's L and I tried those on ... they were like wearing a 2XL for me, a tent. Tried the Men's M one on and it was a loose Men's L for me, so I bought the two shirts. These are another durable and extremely comfortable for me daily wear item ... as I wear them for wind/sun/abrasion protection and prefer the cotton canvas to other materials for this purpose.

In any event, the retail outlets you've mentioned as your preferred shopping locations aren't locally owned ... SW is a national chain, and the rest aren't locally owned, either. I've price shopped SW in Cheyenne compared to STP and Cabela's ... and haven't bought anything there except a gallon of Coleman liquid fuel in the years they've been in Cheyenne. And SW has never been able to match the deals on firearms/ammunition that I've been able to get at Cabela's. For that matter, Shopko "merged" with Pamida in 2012 and closed out the Pamida stores; Shopko is owned by Sun Capital Partners ... based where? I shopped the close-outs at the Lander store when it was changing over and found that their "bargain close-out sale" on many items I'd normally purchase wasn't any better priced than what I was paying at other stores; ie, Pamida's closing out sale wasn't any bargain and I didn't buy anything there. Big R is a franchise based out of IN, and the local stores across WY have but a couple of owners ... Linton's has 7 outlets (IIRC), and Murdoch's has a bunch in WY and CO (the Cheyenne franchise owner bought out the Greeley outlet a couple of years ago, the last remaining Big R in the area that was a true "farm and ranch" store; they closed the farm store building on short notice and focused ... as they do in Cheyenne ... more on the clothing, pet food, boots, and hardware store lines of the franchise. Yes, they've got fencing materials and stock tanks and similar items, but most of the farm/ranch items are no longer carried. They'd done the same thing when they bought the Cheyenne store ... turned it into a "yuppie" wanna'-be farm store. That's one of the reasons why we've got Tractor Supply now opening up in this area with a new outlet in North Cheyenne)

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-13-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 03:14 PM

Not $300M - the company wasn't worth that much. Try $200M - which exactly what they sold annually. STP was always an off-price retailer http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/ne...-post-for.html. Since the TJX purchase, I knew of no other company that would discontinue a business relationship because I returned more than 50% of items purchased - mainly for incorrect sizing, wrong colour (their errors). I'll take my business elsewhere, like REI or SG

My error - it's Sportsman's Guide, not SW. The Guide store was never brick & mortar - always online. www.sportsmansguide.com They've always had the best prices for 7.62mm when purchased in bulk.

But nothing is cheap at TS stores.
And, Linton's is local.
Gander Mountain is my fav back home.

Last edited by OneDawg; 09-13-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 PM

11,550 posts, read 53,038,900 times
Been a Sportsman's Guide catalogue member for years ... and they are the epitome of close-outs/discounted merchandise, distress old military surplus, and some really less than 1st line merchandise through the years. OTOH, they've had smokin' deals (pardon the pun) on used military camp gear ... such as universal fuel stoves which we bought for wall tent extended camping. If you're looking for pre-issued and well used military clothing, blankets, ammo containers, etc. ... they're got it. The may have a "hot deal" on old bulk military ammo ... but since I don't have any firearms in those calibers, it's never been a selling point for my needs.

"nothing is cheap at TS stores" may be your perception of their pricing, but they are doing a bang-up biz with the new stores in Fort Collins CO and Cheyenne WY ... in direct competition with Big R of the area. Had Big R remained as they were in the past as a "farm and ranch store", I believe that the opportunity in this area marketplace would not have presented.

Linton's is a "local" store only to the extent that they're a regional multi-outlet franchise store operator. Big R itself is not local in any way, they're from IN.

Gander Mountain doesn't have much of a presence in our area, IIRC ... we've got to go almost to Denver for the nearest outlet. And they're most certainly not a "locally owned" outfit in WY. They've set themselves up as a direct competitor to Bass Pro Shops in that marketplace ... merchandise lines and pricing are virtually directly comparable at retail store level, which doesn't match up against REI's presence (and discounts for "members") in this marketplace. So not understanding why your preference for Gander and disdain for Bass Pro when you almost can't tell the difference once inside their stores, their merchandising and displays are cut from the same cloth; in either case, one does best to shop the "promos" and leaders, not the daily retail prices.

Sorry for the typo re sale price of STP; you're right, it was approx $200mil. I stand corrected. Yes, it always was an "off price" retailer, even before they went on-line when they had a mailing list for their relatively crudely printed sale flyers and catalogues. A few of my clients were "rag men" working out of the Denver Merchandise Mart as manufacturer's reps in those years and they sold the their bulk overstocks and sales samples to STP to clear out their showrooms of the stuff that didn't sell on "sample Tuesdays" at the Mart ... the stuff was all 1st line merchandise but there were always a lot of sales samples of stuff that wasn't moving in their retailers stores; ie, it didn't go over with the buyers so the manufacturer was seeking to cash it out without detracting from their retail store sales. Hence the very distressed pricing on the goods.

The bottom line remains for the OP's inquiry ... there are some very good deals to be had for excellent merchandise at STP. In my experience, they've been excellent customer service providers and wrong size/wrong item merchandise has always been refunded or exchanged without any issue. In fact, when I've had concerns about a given style, color, or size, I've purchased multiple items of the one that I was interested in buying so that I'd have several to choose from. On more than a few times, I've had none of the items be satisfactory and returned them all ... the last time this happened was on Winter Coveralls, where the sizes didn't fit me at all. Tried 5 different items and they all went back to STP, no problem. Same with some boots.

Last edited by sunsprit; 09-13-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 6,253,561 times
Like the Carhart bibs from sierra trading about half of the price of any stores or the net... have also bought some Filson wool products from STP , yes over stock , end of year deals is how they got them. I don't have a problem with that... cheapest long silk underwear around too.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:48 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,167,918 times
Quote:
Been a Sportsman's Guide catalogue member for years ... and they are the epitome of close-outs/discounted merchandise, distress old military surplus, and some really less than 1st line merchandise through the years. .
That is too funny.... I used to work for their catalogue intake order center in South St Paul when I was young "Welcome to the Sportsman Guide...can I take your credit card order please?" They have an outlet store right there by the warehouse, and yes, they do have a lot of stuff. I remember receiving a call from someone who lived on Popo Agie street in Lander (before I had moved out there)....and the person was impressed that I knew how to pronounce that.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Linton's is a "local" store only to the extent that they're a regional multi-outlet franchise store operator. Big R itself is not local in any way, they're from IN.
Well they have some stores there, but hq is Watseka, IL
Big R® Corporate Headquarters, Store Locations.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Similarly, I found Cabela's house brand canvas long sleeve guide shirts on sale at $24.99. They only had 2 left on the sale rack in my size, but marked down from $39.99 ... worked for me. that was a true "farm and ranch" store; they closed the farm store building on short notice and focused ... as they do in Cheyenne ...
Bass Pro just completed purchase of Cabelas last month for $5.5B but would not guarantee jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming