Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times

Advertisements

Just about eleven months to go. Path hits Dubois, Shoshoni, Casper, and points between on the 26 pretty much dead on.

Wikipedia track map of the eclipse path:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._OSM_Zoom6.png

More info:

NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_...ugust_21,_2017

(links provided by former C-D member OldChina)

For Casper, (maximum eclipse around 9:45 MDT):

Lat.: 42.8625° N
Long.: 106.3147° W

Total Solar Eclipse
Duration of Totality: 2m25.7s
Magnitude: 1.013
Obscuration: 100.00%

Event---------------------------Date-----------Time (UT)-----Alt-------Azi
Start of partial eclipse (C1)---2017/08/21---16:22:18.8---42.6°---118.2°
Start of total eclipse (C2)-----2017/08/21---17:42:40.5---53.9°---142.7°
Maximum eclipse--------------2017/08/21---17:43:53.2---54.0°---143.2°
End of total eclipse (C3)------2017/08/21---17:45:06.1---54.1°---143.6°
End of partial eclipse (C4)----2017/08/21---19:09:26.1---59.0°---180.6°

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 07:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Thank you.

My wife and I are planning on viewing this event. We are looking for lodging from Eastern Oregon to Wyoming in order to avoid any clouds. We will be meeting her sister and BIL to share the event. They are from Alaska so location is a major factor.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:26 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
Thanks to Syringaloid of the Idaho forum for posting a higher resolution map of the transect over Idaho. Spurred me to find a higher resolution map of Wyoming.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-22-2016, 11:44 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,753 times
After viewing this thread, I couldn't help but throw something out there, if for no other reason...just to get it off my chest.

I am finding it very odd that an increasing number of people should get so excited over a simple solar-eclipse when at (almost) exactly 6pm on the 6th day of the 6th month of 2012, the planet Venus transited (passed between) the earth and Sun, and could be seen at almost the exact mid-point of the sun, during it's transit.

Okay...maybe nothing significant there, in and of-itself...UNTIL you consider the following:

The planet Venus has a nickname: 'The Morning Star'.

Something ('someone' ?) ALSO has that rather unique nickname.

Anyone care to take a stab at what (or 'who') that might be ?

(Hint: He or 'it' is mentioned a few times in the Bible, Quran, Talmud, and a few other religious texts, worldwide.)

I'm not SAYING anything in-particular here...other than the fact that those 'who hath wisdom' might find these things rather curious...specifically the almost PAINFULLY obvious and perhaps NOT so 'ambiguous' sequence of 'sixes' involved in this particularly UNIQUE planetary-alignment.

Also (maybe not so coincidentally) I would like to add that I found it curious that the recently deciphered calendars of 'future human-events' of two totally and completely different and far-removed (distance-wise, from each other) ancient civilizations (the Egyptians and the Mayans) which were recorded in two different forms of hieroglyphic-writings many thousands of yrs ago JUST HAPPENED to come to an 'abrupt end' EXACTLY 6 months after the 6 June 2012 Venus Transit...

...on 21 Dec 2012.

I'm sorry if any of this 'creeps' anybody out, but...I just could'nt help but notice this.

Perhaps it means nothing, who can know these things ? ? ?

Granted, our world did not crack in half, Yellowstone didn't 're-awaken', the oceans didn't boil-over, skies didn't fall, and most dogs and cats STILL don't 'enjoy' living together, etc, etc...but given the obvious reports of rising violence everywhere one looks...one DOES have to wonder if...maybe perhaps...something 'wicked' this way comes ?

I don't know...but I can't be the ONLY one who feels that 'something changed'...but can't quite put a finger on what exactly it was ?

Anyways...thanks for your time, patience and...understanding, and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip here to see the eclipse. My guess is that I'll be outside somewhere, fixing fence when it happens.

Should be fun to watch...albeit 'indirectly', assuming one does what is necessary to maintain their eyesight...lol

Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 PM

254 posts, read 879,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I am finding it very odd that an increasing number of people should get so excited over a simple solar-eclipse when at (almost) exactly 6pm on the 6th day of the 6th month of 2012, the planet Venus transited (passed between) the earth and Sun, and could be seen at almost the exact mid-point of the sun, during it's transit.
I remember that day. I was at work, so I just went out on the airport ramp, repositioned a bit to get the tree in the foreground, and got this:

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Last edited by Cloudfish; 09-22-2016 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Format.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I have placed threads on the Idaho and Oregon forums. This is my latest post on those threads.

Thanks again. We have reserved rooms in a lower cost motel in Baker City, Oregon. Some rooms are available in this small City inconveniently away from the larger airports and the path of totality. Even with these considerations many of the accommodations were already booked.

We are still debating weather we are going to drive cross country or fly to Boise, ID and rent something that will let us drive gravel but not 4WD roads in the area. The eclipse will the start of our vacation. We are planning to not only see the eclipse but visit other places in the area. I am a train, and historic technology nut and the Sumter Valley Railroad is on my list. We will also be visiting places in Idaho.

this may include the Star Valley in Western Wyoming.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,942 times
Wink Local Photographer

As a local professional photographer I plan on taking advantage of this spectacle when it occurs. Being local means I dont have to fight for a place to stay or pay the gouging prices that the area is known for. If I can assist anyone in this area feel free to contact me. [mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 09-29-2016 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Sorry. Business links not allowed per the T.O.S. However, interested parties may contact you via DM.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:15 PM

138 posts, read 172,206 times
My kids are getting really excited about this. I think we'll be a few blocks off of maximum totality on the south side of Casper--at least that's what the folks at the planetarium said.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,077 times
There is an interactive google map here where you can zoom in as far as you want to find your dirt roads and such.

I looked at a couple other sites here:

eclipse.org
space.com <<== be careful with this one:
................. The managers of this web page think it's perfectly OK
................. to have a loud video start playing as the page is loading.

I bet it's impossible to get a flight or hotel room in Casper, WY. This major town is the largest place that will almost certainly have clear skies around noon for the event. As you go East, afternoon thunderstorms become more and more of an issue.

Eastern Oregon and Idaho are arid and have an earlier event -- good bets.
North of Kansas City around 1:00 -- a terrible bet.

I plan to stay in Cheyenne or Pocatello ( whatever is closest to predicted clear skies ) where crowds and reservations won't be an issue. From there, it's not a hard drive to one of the small towns on the path of totality where one can go to a restaurant, have breakfast and hang out.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:10 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We are still debating weather we are going to drive cross country or fly to Boise, ID and rent something that will let us drive gravel but not 4WD roads in the area.
Where you are planning to go, consider finding a place that is high and with a good view to valley areas to the West.

The best part of the eclipse is NOT looking at the blocked-out sun with the corona, but looking and feeling and listening to what happens to the wind and the birds and the temperature and looking at your surroundings.

From a high vantage point, you will be able to view the umbra racing across the surface of the earth, You might also see it hitting the puffy clouds that are part of the US Western Monsoon season. I suppose it might not be much to see at over 2,000 mi/hr.

It's for this reason, that I might head West - despite the extra work getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming