Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 10,673 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been frequenting this forum for several years and have learned so much. We are wanting to move to the Sheridan area in the next year or so. What I am really wanting is to buy some land, anywhere from 5 to 20 Acres and build a yurt. For some reason I have fell in love with them. My question is about finding some land that is outside of the city but also being able to get into town in bad weather. Utilities would definitely be a plus but I am also fine with solar panels. It is just me and my wife so we are looking at about a 35 feet yurt and having some land to garden and just enjoy nature. The other question is about zoning regulations and building a yurt, I have looked on Sheridan City and County websites but cannot find any info. Has anyone done this or know of people that have. Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by cctech3; 10-28-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 12:45 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
I don't recall seeing a yurt anywhere in Sheridan county. Or the state, for that matter. So you'd be a first.

5 - 20 acres in Sheridan County nearer to the city would be estate-type land, and fairly spendy (read: expensive). MDU will run electricity about anywhere for a price, and SAWS will provide water within a ten or so mile radius of the city - much beyond that you're going to have to dig a well. THAT may have a big impact on how many acres you're going to have to buy. Lots of smaller properties don't have water rights included. Big Horn, Story, Dayton and Ranchester all get SAWS water, but some places in between are on a well. As to solar, keep in mind that in the winter there are about 8 hours of light, and much of that is clouded.

In really bad weather, they close I-90 and Rt 14 until the weather passes and the roads are cleared. Don't care where you are, when the roads are closed, they're closed.

As to gardening, the growing season is May 1 to October 1, which is fairly short if you don't have a greenhouse.

Don't know what kind of nature you want to look at, but there is more up on the hill (up in the Big Horns) than down in the valley. You may want to consider going up on the mountain - but there is an even shorter growing season and travel to town during bad weather is pretty much not an option. Red Poll Lane is an option at the foot of Red Grade, but the wind there is pretty acute. Not sure a yurt would be the most comfortable way to live on Red Poll. Dayton might also hold a little promise.

I strongly recommend that you move to Sheridan and learn the vagaries of living out there before you decide whether your idea of paradise fits into the system out there.

Good Luck! R-3.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Thank you R-3. I would hope I wouldn't be the first, I am not that much of a trend setter. I did find out that there is a company in Sheridan that makes them so perhaps I could get a better idea on some of the ordinances around there from them. Property does not have to be that large of acreage but I would like at least 2-3 acres so that I have a little space. As far as nature is concerned, I just like being outdoors. I hunt and hike and hate being cooped up indoors when the weather is nice. My wife has already requested a greenhouse, so that will happen. We both will be working so we would have to be able to get into town. We have owned a computer shop for the last 18 years and would really like to do that there as well. We're just wanting a change in scenery and weather. Alabama and its hot and humid temperatures year round have just gotten to be too much for me. I fell in love with Wyoming the first time we visited and have been wanting to move there for about 12 years. We are now at the point we would like to actually go ahead with it. We plan to sell our homes here and would like to be debt free after the move without taking on a mortgage. The yurts look perfect for that.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Sheridan has adopted the IBC Building Code.

From what I've read when building other structures, building a yurt to comply with that code, with little details such as no water plumbing except in conditioned spaces, compliance with fire safety (insulation and membrane), roof snow loads, wind resistance, code compliant primary heat source ... would be a rather pricey structure. Your engineered building plans would have to be in compliance and structure inspected before you'd get a CoO issued.

I've seen a number of yurts erected in Wyoming for temporary summertime use, but not as a full time residence requiring a CoO.

There are other "alternative" structures which might meet the codes and be more cost effective and durable to build in this climate zone.

Gardening Season: Sheridan is a 4A zone, averaging 124 days growing season; ie, from average day last frost to first fall frost day. Suggesting a 5 month growing season there, even in a tunnel greenhouse structure ... is beyond optomistic. I'd plan on a 90-day growing season and hope for a few more days in an average year. That would include starting my seedlings indoors a month earlier (under grow lights and on heated pads) and bringing them out to harden them for transplanting on a weather permitting daily basis at the beginning of May. Transplanting or seeding in the greenhouse would likely be towards the end of May in an average year. Do not plan on aux heating such a structure to extend the growing season, the cold temps simply overwhelm such reasonably economic efforts. One may, however, gain some benefit from a sizable thermal mass storage area such as black painted water barrels along a wall ... but I've only seen this become minimally effective to extend overnight protection to covered plants for a few additional nights each year. Peppers and tomatoes are especially vulnerable in the shorter daylight and below freezing temps of the first hard frost nights.

All of the factory built tunnel greenhouse structure kits I've seen (such as FarmTek) are wholly inadequate to deal with the climate and wind conditions present here in Wyoming. You will need to choose your building site very carefully to minimize damage potential to the structure. Buy the heaviest frame greenhouse structure you can afford. We always reinforce the end wall membrane structure; usually, I frame it out on 14-16" centers with 2" x 4"s. As well, I've found the usual 6 mil greenhouse cover to be a weak spot. Better to install the heavier reinforced cover (at significant up-charge) and then use additional strapping between each rafter to secure and tension the cover.

Don't forget water efficiency here. Best to install drip-tape irrigation system on timers, with multiple zones to address the different water requirements of the various plants. We now use 4 zones in our 30' x 96' greenhouse, running from multiple manifolds, and 2 zones in a 16' x 24' greenhouse.

Consider planting pollinator habitat in/around your greenhouse. Natural pollinators may be scarce in the area and you will want to attract them to your garden.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-28-2016 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 03:50 PM

Thanks, I know nothing about codes. The yurt has a wind resistance to 105 mph and a snow load of 34lbs. per square feet. Inside will be fully furnished with electricity, appliances, full kitchen and bath including washer and dryer and running water. I have researched these as far as durabilty and they are very soundly built. You could hang a car from the roof, I just didn't know about zoning laws. Here, once you are out of city jurisdiction you can build pretty much anything you want. I assume it is not quite that way in Wyoming. Here are a couple of links to give you an idea of what we are wanting to do.

http://www.yurts.com/wp-content/uplo...l-Interior.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1425329350.jpg

Last edited by cctech3; 10-28-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 04:14 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
You link to a membrane structure as defined by the alternative building codes in the IBC. In particular, the picture is of an uninsulated residence which would hardly be suitable for the Sheridan climate zone except for around 4 months of the year.

While I appreciate that where you live now doesn't have the code compliance requirements ... Wyoming does in all but a few locales and that's what I infer this thread is about.

Esthetics aside, if your interest in such a structure is cost savings ... you may find that a code-compliant yurt is a rather expensive indulgence in this area. Consider that "code compliant" doesn't necessarily equate to an efficient structure, particularly in view of heating degree days for your living space comfort. The "bright" overhead and exterior walls of a membrane structure would need to be hidden by an insulating layer ... you architect/engineer would have guidelines to suggest how to accomplish this to a reasonable installed cost/appearance and functionality level.

You may find that a "log cabin" or "A-frame" residence may be a more appropriate structure in this area. These have long been proven to be suitable for the climate and conditions here.

Membrane structures are built around here for utility building purposes ... such as WYDOT uses for winter road materials/equipment. Or farm utility structures. They can be durable in the UV and winds here but appear to need recovering periodically. I've not seen any used for a permanent residence.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-28-2016 at 05:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2016, 03:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
Togwotee Mountain Lodge had a cozy little Yurt (back in 1995) where backcountry snowmobilers would pull in to warm thier extremities by the fire & sip hot Chai...but I think they shut it down because they found it difficult to keep someone there full-time to maintain the brazier and shuttle hot beverages/supplies back and forth from the main lodge, without getting thier sled stuck.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - Listen to sunsprit very carefully.

Be aware that Yurts are temporary structures functionally similar to "teepees" used by the Plains Indians. They are not nearly adequate for full time living. I suggest, like some others, that you look for a log or existing house for your permanent residence. You might check the edges of the smaller towns for a few acres of land. Then fix up an existing house for living and build a Yurt in the back forty for summer living.

Remember WINTER in WYOMING is NO JOKE! It is a life threatening situation for the improperly prepared.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:54 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
There Yurts at old Faithfull used as warming hut for snowmobilers. Know a few outfitters used them on cross country ski trails, used for over night, one even has a hot tub. They sled in your food and bedrolls.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:33 PM

I am thinking most people have the idea that these are non insulated teepees or tents. What I am looking at are very well insulated with SIPS flooring (with additional insulation under the subfloor as well) and also insulation in walls and roof, even though it is a membrane shell. Lodgepole support in walls and roof with additional insulation in interior walls as well.

I know that these are also used as storage and utility as well, but those are not what I am planning.

I am just mainly interested in seeing if anyone on the board was familiar with someone doing this and to get an idea of how the building codes were in relation to them.

I really appreciate all the responses, they are very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming