Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,344 times

Advertisements

I'm a single African American woman thinking about accepting job offer in Gillette. I wonder about whether there's a community there, a black beauty shop,etc? And of course, general impressions about tolerance. I see there's very little diversity but that isn't always negative as far as people go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 08:49 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,134,594 times
I'm assuming that by "community," you mean an African American community. There just aren't that many blacks in Gillette. I can't think of a single one who I know by name right now, but I've become somewhat of a hermit in recent years, so don't let that scare you. ("New" wife is a homebody.) I do see a LOT more of 'em when I'm out and about than I used to, but that's not saying much.

Neither my wife nor I have ever heard of a black beauty shop in Gillette, but there are a lot of beauty shops, and there could be a few beauticians who specialize.... I've gotta get a haircut in the next week, and I'll ask about it when I'm there. If anyone would know, they would. An African American who I knew several years ago asked me if I had any experience shooting portraits of blacks. (I used to be a photographer.) I had to admit that I didn't, not enough to count. He wasn't happy with his son's senior pictures -- bad lighting. I offered to try, but I never heard back from him. You'll likely run into problems like that in Gillette even now.

I can't imagine an acceptance problem based on race in Gillette. The town has grown nearly 10X in the past 50 years, so most of the residents have either moved here or their parents did. It's always been a town that welcomes new people. If you want to make friends outside your workplace (the most common place to make friends), volunteer! The Chamber could probably provide you with a list of more than a hundred clubs and agencies that would welcome you. There's no shortage of 'em. Just pick one that appeals to you.

If you'll be renting, I just read an article in the local paper that the vacancy rate currently stands at 26%, so you shouldn't have a problem finding what you want. Two years ago it was under 1%! If you're buying, it's definitely a buyer's market, but I couldn't venture a guess as to where the real estate market will go from here.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 10-29-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 08:52 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,339,300 times
If you can manage to visit and spend a few days/nights in Gillette, to wander around & get a good feel for the town, that's probably a really really good idea. Definitely plan for mid-winter visit...because you'll want to see if NE-Wyo winters are too harsh for you...but bear in mind that summer time it's an ENTIRELY different ball-game, with all the touristas coming through, as it is a sizeable/growing (it 'ebbs and flows' really, depending on the energy-extraction industry) town, stuck literally smack-dab in the middle of no-where; and this comes from someone who HAS spent quite a sizeable portion of his life IN the middle OF no-where, so to hear me say that...you CAN trust my advice.

Gillette has almost anything the average, self-sufficient individual could want, to make it 'home'...but you will have to learn to take a 'lower gear' IF you are coming from a seriously 'fast-paced/busy-lifestyle' metro/suburban existence.

Whatever Gillette doesn't have, CAN be found in Billings, Montana (to the north) or Casper (to the south).

Personally ? I wouldn't worry about your ethnicity. During my 9 month stay with a ranch-couple in 2013, I attended 'cowboy church' and of the 100 or so assembled, just about every ethnic group was represented, and everybody shook hands, hugged, sang (or TRIED to sing) along.

Movie theatre is up-to-date, there's several banks/credit unions to choose from, a few used-car (and brand new) lots to help you keep rolling if whatever you're coming out here in 'dies' on you, the restaurants there are...what they are. It's good, edible food, but hardly 5-star dining. It's a blue-collar 'mining' town...what else would one expect ? lol

I REALLY like the Wallmart there, if that means anything to you; it's second only to the west-side Wallmart in Casper, as far as I'm concerned. GREAT selection of food & produce; anything more 'exotic' (or higher-grade produce) can be readily be found at Albertsons, just the other side of the parking lot.

If you really really WANT that job, I'd plan to visit the town and take a look-see BEFORE you commit to anything.

Good luck !

Old 10-30-2016, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,344 times
Thanks Guys! A "look see" may be in order!!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,161,873 times
Depending on where you are from currently, you may or may not find Gillette isolated. When I visited in '11 (or '12) I found that the basic amenities were there, but spread out over a large area- yes the Walmart is good and prices same as the ones I was used to. (Did find an Aveda salon.) They also have a great community center/work out place. Cannot speak to the diversity, as far as numbers, but everyone I did meet was friendly and it wasn't all white people.

The lack of trees just outside of town was a bit....stark...very dry/desert. To me that is a greater culture shock factor coming from a very green area of the States. I would visit, definitely.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:32 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
According to the City-Data Race statistics for Gillette, in 2013 the black population included 538 individuals, 1.6% of the local population. http://www.city-data.com/city/Gillette-Wyoming.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
If you'll be renting, I just read an article in the local paper that the vacancy rate currently stands at 26%, so you shouldn't have a problem finding what you want. Two years ago it was under 1%! If you're buying, it's definitely a buyer's market, but I couldn't venture a guess as to where the real estate market will go from here.

If employment has dropped off since 2013, that Black population has probably also decreased.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-04-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 04:46 PM

57 posts, read 75,328 times
Hey there. I can tell you this.. I am a white woman and moved here after spending my whole life on the east coast so I can tell you what differences I've seen between the 2 areas. I also have 2 mixed-race kids (black/white) so I have had the chance to experience some things in the community through their experiences that I may have gotten to see. I'm in a different part of Wyoming, one that is considered to be one of the most educated & liberal-minded areas. I have spent 3 years trying to find someone who can give my kids even the slightest bit of a good haircut. 10 places later- nope, I do it myself and I'm not that great but at least they can walk out with their head high afterwards. So good luck to you on the hair salons & beauty shops/products. It may feel like you are in a different country when you live here. As a resident, you kind of get use to not having the same availability to things you need. It sucks but then again people tend to be SUPER casual and carefree when it comes to looks. I went from high heels, makeup & dressing up everyday to boots & sneakers, yoga pants & fleeces & definitely warm down coats. On the positive (at least wear I live) you can hide your head with a hat nearly half the year so no one truly knows when you're having a bad hair day. It works Diversity is obviously not here. As a family we have run into ignorance. First time in my life I had a guy who I had been seeing for a little while find out my kids were mixed and told me "What!? Christ! No man here will ever have sex with you after you've been with a black guy!" Shocking to say the least (especially because we were no where near the point where I was even thinking about going into a sexual relationship with him) so what was shocking also was his assumption & attitude about that part of me. crazy... Anyway.. My kids also had issues being bullied in school. I know, what kid doesn't and I'm not one to teach them to take it nor to be a victim to ignorant people. So I went countless times to the teachers, the school counselor, and finally the principle. That is when I saw the type of racism that pisses me off the most- kind racism. They did absolutely nothing & deflected the issue saying I should get my son involved with kids in the next town instead! Nuts! This went on and happened to another family (mom & dad both black) and as far as I know they did not get any better justice. Despite these instances, I will say generally its not seen or felt on a day to day basis IF you are in an area with professionals who know how to handle themselves & aren't ignorant. A lot of people here have never been out in the world and just have not had much opportunity to see black people & be around them beyond their tvs (which we all know is a bad way to get to understand anything). The east has a lot of history with slavery & at least to me I felt like people back east truly HATE one another (black & white alike) when they have personalities & characters that are racist to begin with. Out here people are kinda laid-back, stick to themselves & don't seem to feel that same deep history as deep as the east coast folks. That maybe just my opinion but I do feel like people here are kinda like people who live on an island & just don't know much at all about black culture, not that they are hateful to it. All in all it is definitely WHITE AMERICA at the fullest in Wyoming, but after 3 years here, my kids have friends, I do too and the calmness of life here just makes it worth giving up the diversity to an extent. My oldest son is the reason why we have stayed because he loves life here compared to back home where things are so "black and white" (his words). They mountain bike, ice climb, hike in some of the most beautiful places in the US, paddle board, ski.. I mean where else can you do that and grow up with so many opportunities to just do those things without having a ton of money & taking hours out of your life to get back & forth to different activities. Kinda weird maybe but those are my thoughts. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or want to talk. Best wishes to you.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:56 PM

57 posts, read 75,328 times
Another thing to note- Crime is almost unheard of... like really! It's freaking nuts if you are from an area near a city. I mean 99% of the people don't lock their cars or houses and drunk people doing stupid stuff like walking into the wrong persons house is about all you hear about. Personally, I never realized how great that feels to never have to worry.. like ever! All you need to worry about is breaking down without cell coverage or getting stuck in the snow.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 PM

783 posts, read 571,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonmom View Post
Hey there. I can tell you this.. I am a white woman and moved here after spending my whole life on the east coast so I can tell you what differences I've seen between the 2 areas. I also have 2 mixed-race kids (black/white) so I have had the chance to experience some things in the community through their experiences that I may have gotten to see. I'm in a different part of Wyoming, one that is considered to be one of the most educated & liberal-minded areas. I have spent 3 years trying to find someone who can give my kids even the slightest bit of a good haircut. 10 places later- nope, I do it myself and I'm not that great but at least they can walk out with their head high afterwards. So good luck to you on the hair salons & beauty shops/products. It may feel like you are in a different country when you live here. As a resident, you kind of get use to not having the same availability to things you need. It sucks but then again people tend to be SUPER casual and carefree when it comes to looks. I went from high heels, makeup & dressing up everyday to boots & sneakers, yoga pants & fleeces & definitely warm down coats. On the positive (at least wear I live) you can hide your head with a hat nearly half the year so no one truly knows when you're having a bad hair day. It works Diversity is obviously not here. As a family we have run into ignorance. First time in my life I had a guy who I had been seeing for a little while find out my kids were mixed and told me "What!? Christ! No man here will ever have sex with you after you've been with a black guy!" Shocking to say the least (especially because we were no where near the point where I was even thinking about going into a sexual relationship with him) so what was shocking also was his assumption & attitude about that part of me. crazy... Anyway.. My kids also had issues being bullied in school. I know, what kid doesn't and I'm not one to teach them to take it nor to be a victim to ignorant people. So I went countless times to the teachers, the school counselor, and finally the principle. That is when I saw the type of racism that pisses me off the most- kind racism. They did absolutely nothing & deflected the issue saying I should get my son involved with kids in the next town instead! Nuts! This went on and happened to another family (mom & dad both black) and as far as I know they did not get any better justice. Despite these instances, I will say generally its not seen or felt on a day to day basis IF you are in an area with professionals who know how to handle themselves & aren't ignorant. A lot of people here have never been out in the world and just have not had much opportunity to see black people & be around them beyond their tvs (which we all know is a bad way to get to understand anything). The east has a lot of history with slavery & at least to me I felt like people back east truly HATE one another (black & white alike) when they have personalities & characters that are racist to begin with. Out here people are kinda laid-back, stick to themselves & don't seem to feel that same deep history as deep as the east coast folks. That maybe just my opinion but I do feel like people here are kinda like people who live on an island & just don't know much at all about black culture, not that they are hateful to it. All in all it is definitely WHITE AMERICA at the fullest in Wyoming, but after 3 years here, my kids have friends, I do too and the calmness of life here just makes it worth giving up the diversity to an extent. My oldest son is the reason why we have stayed because he loves life here compared to back home where things are so "black and white" (his words). They mountain bike, ice climb, hike in some of the most beautiful places in the US, paddle board, ski.. I mean where else can you do that and grow up with so many opportunities to just do those things without having a ton of money & taking hours out of your life to get back & forth to different activities. Kinda weird maybe but those are my thoughts. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or want to talk. Best wishes to you.
I really tried to read you post, but it's virtually impossible when it's a wall of text like that. Please use paragraphs next time.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,356,555 times
Wyoming is pretty live-and-let-live. I don't know about getting your hair done, you'd probably have to travel to Rapid City for hair appointments! The nice thing is, you could get some shopping in while you're there because there really isn't any in Gillette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming