Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,480 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I posted a similar message over at the Idaho forum regarding a possible move. I am a prospective law student who has applied to a number of schools, the University of Wyoming among them. I am for the most part applying to out-of-state schools in areas I could envision myself living, and was hoping I could get some insight from the natives about life in the state.

FWIW, I consider myself politically very conservative (more so Libertarian, really), which of course tends to be an issue living in the ultra-liberal northeast. I'm fed up with the high taxes, overcrowding and overbearing regulatory atmosphere here, so I was hoping to find a place where my views would be welcome, if not commonplace.

With that said, I've never been to Wyoming, but I have heard it is a very "red" state. My primary concern is of course securing a quality education, but I'm also concerned with fitting in - being from urban NJ, I've never experienced life in an overall rural area (although I'm not sure if Laramie qualifies as such), but I'm certainly willing to embrace the change. I understand outdoor activities are very popular in your state; I enjoy camping and target shooting, but that's about the extent of it. Nevertheless, does the adjustment to life in your state from an urban lifestyle represent something truly monumental, or have you all found it for the most part easy?

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I think you'll find Laramie a small enough community that it's pretty rural, with close access to some excellent outdoor activity ... either South or East of the town, literally, just a few miles away to go camping, bicycling, fishing, hunting, and target shooting.

IMO, Laramie is one of the bastions of more liberal thinking in Wyoming, with the UW crowd there. You may even find professors there that have similar political, economic, and social views to what you've seen in the NE. It's a very different environment than Cheyenne, or Casper, or much of the rest of the state. But it does have a good reputation for it's law school, so there's a plus.

You will find Laramie to be much colder and more brutal in it's climate than where you're from. This may take some adjustment ... and you'll either adapt to like it or it will be a problem for you if you don't like 6-8 months of winter each year.

Laramie isn't too far away from Ft Collins, so much of the culture, shopping, entertainment and so forth that is rather sparse in Laramie is fairly accessible down Owl Canyon. Of course, there are times in the winter months when the road is closed, but that's something everybody accepts as life as usual, no big deal.

Your last question is really a matter of your own flexibility, creativity, independence, and self-reliance. For some, it's impossible to like Wyoming, for others ... it's like coming home even from the first day. Much of how well and quickly you can acclimate to the environment will be a reflection of your own attitudes as received by those around you. Be the friend that you'd want folks to be to you and it will show ... find fault with everything and everybody and it will come right back to you.

Good luck with your choice of school and location.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinFive View Post
With that said, I've never been to Wyoming, but I have heard it is a very "red" state.
Laramie is blue and some parts of the state are red. Overall I would class the state as purple and getting bluer by the month. You will fit in where ever you end up – It’s the American way.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Laramie is blue and some parts of the state are red. Overall I would class the state as purple and getting bluer by the month. You will fit in where ever you end up – It’s the American way.
Sitting in Cheyenne at the current State Legislature and seeing the current bills this session ... and hearing the testimony from around the state's residents ... and testifying on several bills in committee ....

I'd be very hard pressed to suggest that the state "as purple and getting bluer by the month". If anything, folks are really starting to assert their rights and responsibilities in a way quite opposite to that direction and some bills are even asserting Wyoming's state rights as opposed to Fed heavy handed programs and direction ...

in the areas of State Water Rights, Firearms Rights, Health/social issues, Food manufacturing-sales direct to consumers, for example.

In all candor, I think S&L is completely ignorant of what's going on in our legislature this year ... which truly reflects the attitudes and the mainstream will of the people of this state. We're even getting weary of the high handedness of state gov't agencies and bureaucracies, and legislation to rein in those programs is now showing up and getting favorable attention from the elected representatives as they've been listening to their constituency.

If anything, this state is aggressively moving further "red" at this time. We'll see as the legislature continues it session this year. I'll be there ... as will hundreds of others representing these views.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-24-2010 at 04:16 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
My late wife moved to Wyoming from NJ and immediately fell in love with the state. She had no trouble being accepted, even though she couldn't pronounce coffee.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Sitting in Cheyenne at the current State Legislature and seeing the current bills this session ... and hearing the testimony from around the state's residents ... and testifying on several bills in committee ....

I'd be very hard pressed to suggest that the state "as purple and getting bluer by the month". If anything, folks are really starting to assert their rights and responsibilities in a way quite opposite to that direction and some bills are even asserting Wyoming's state rights as opposed to Fed heavy handed programs and direction ...

in the areas of State Water Rights, Firearms Rights, Health/social issues, Food manufacturing-sales direct to consumers, for example.

In all candor, I think S&L is completely ignorant of what's going on in our legislature this year ... which truly reflects the attitudes and the mainstream will of the people of this state. We're even getting weary of the high handedness of state gov't agencies and bureaucracies, and legislation to rein in those programs is now showing up and getting favorable attention from the elected representatives as they've been listening to their constituency.

If anything, this state is aggressively moving further "red" at this time. We'll see as the legislature continues it session this year. I'll be there ... as will hundreds of others representing these views.
Most Wyoming Democrat would make a conservative Republican in more Blue States.
Spent a little time a week ago at the Capitol, and at a legislative reception

Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 AM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
In all candor, I think S&L is completely ignorant of what's going on in our legislature this year ... which truly reflects the attitudes and the mainstream will of the people of this state.
That’s okay. I continually sit in wonder when people make comments like this based strictly on a general comment posted on an internet forum. I seriously doubt that such a comment wouldn’t have come verbally in a face to face discussion. Where has civility gone? Oh, the wonder of anonymity.

Quote:
I’m somewhat familiar with what is happening in our legislative session. To begin with, I will say that attempting to introduce 132 House bills, 12 House resolutions, 74 Senate bills and 1 Senate resolution during a budget session isn’t a step towards less government or fewer bureaucracies. Although some of the bills do reflect an attitude of individual and states rights many reflect a step towards more government control.

What’s up with a wind tax? I would have never dreamed in my younger days that anyone would ever be seriously talking about charging a “wind tax”. Nor did I think I would see the day that Interstate 80 would be a toll road. I would be happy to discuss some of the proposed legislation on education and some of the health care and human life bills. But they don’t get the media coverage that a couple others do, because they aren’t as exciting as guns.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:36 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
There are Prof. at the Law school that are why too the left to as at allot of the Departments at UW.
My Daughter was on the track team there a couple years ago. During the summer she took a women’s studies course corresponds during the summer. Suppose to be an easy A for Athlete. She got a email from the Law Prof. that taught the course the she was too conservative to pass the class... she got a D, she should have kept the e-mail and shown it to the dean of students.
She change majors fro history to range ecology, she said the Ag College was more back to earth and reason. My son is in engineering college, he dropped honors program this semester said the honors classes were way too much to the left for him. Not much politics in engineering college either.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Wind tax? I would say that was pretty much the norm for Wyoming. Wyoming gets a very large portion of their revinew from taxing energy. So they just as well grab the wind while they can.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
I can't speak for the political opinions regarding Laramie, but I can say that my dau & hubby went to UW and he graduated with an engineering degree in May, with the school already helping him secure a job with the Wyo. Dept. of Trans. a few months earlier. They loved the town and have only good to say about the school. My son's friend is just finishing law school there and has been pleased with the program.

My mom & dad also relocated from NJ to Wyoming, but it was years ago. They said it was the best thing they ever did. My cousin was here visiting from NJ in July and it was a bit of a culture shock for him as he isn't used to driving everywhere out in the wide open spaces, etc. He & his wife neither drive so take public transport or walk everywhere they go! Each family living here either having their own single family home or twin home or at least being in a small apt. complex was shocking to them as they live on the 5th floor of a walkup condo building. They loved the wildlife, the people, and the fresh air and beauty that we enjoy. I've only been to NJ once but will be going back this summer to visit relatives. I have to agree that the urban part of the state is very different from here, but I wouldn't think a person would have a hard time fitting in in Laramie. People from all over the country and the world choose UW for their education. Best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming