Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:35 AM

5 posts, read 30,027 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to move west. We are really considering Wyoming. I have no idea what to do next. Any help concerning, location, jobs, weather, homes and rentals, are the people friendly, etc, would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 09:14 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,743 times
Mark 06, I just posted a website that will be loads of help, in my wyoming info post above. Check it out. Have you ever been to Wyoming ? It is booming right now. Lots of jobs. Wyomiles

Last edited by Wyomiles; 11-30-2006 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-30-2006, 04:39 PM

49 posts, read 210,258 times
Smile Wyoming info

The easiest way to get info is by going to the Casper Star Tribune's site, there are many other parts in Wyoimng that are great, but this will give you info. on central wyo jobs, houses, ect. Cody, Cheyenne, Riverton, Gillette, Rock Springs, and Casper are all nice places and their economies vary, so don't assume a casper home price goes for pinedale or gillette, but you should be able to go to the Wyoming state Gov. and get some job listing with pay ranges across the state under the human resources link, the private sector seems to pay better than state jobs, but it will give you an idea coming from out of state. I would look up weather, since this is no warm paradise, but the wind and cold keep the pollution, bugs, and population down, and most Wyomingites like their space, so this is good. It is a friendly state, people are rugged and have a strength and independent nature living amongst more antelope than people. Oh, and if someone tries to get you to go jack-a-lope hunting, it's a cruel joke on out of towners, so tell them to go ahead, and you'll catch up.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 AM

5 posts, read 30,027 times
Default Maybe laramie or Cheyenne?

Thanks for the info. How about Laramie or Cheyenne? I was thinking those places seemed interesting. Is it really always cold? How is the snow and winter weather? Does the whole state get hammered in the wintertime? Are roads undriveable? I see alot of the websites say there is so many things to do, in the state, how are the people to newcomers? Are they the keep to their own kind or are they super friendly. We are from New York, I have lived in the same spot for seven years and have never met a neighbor.
Thanks,

Old 12-01-2006, 10:28 AM

592 posts, read 2,243,743 times
Mark06, My wife and her family are from New Jersey / New York. The difference in their minds is that Wyoming is a dry cold . The wet snows back east are colder to them. Also in most of the state the snow is only a few inches to a foot deep. Only in the mountains and places like Jackson does the snow pile up like it does back east. The big deal in Wyoming is the wind chill but if you dress warm you won't have a problem. I have spent many winters working outside all day long, good insulated clothing, in layers, is the key. Wyoming has been fighting blizzards for years so the road crews are very good at keeping them drivable. There are times that a big storm will close the roads but never for to long. In the winter you will need to always carry extra warm clothes, blankets, water, candles, snacks in the car if you are away from town. I have been stuck a few times but never very long as someone always comes along to help you out.
I always found the people of Wyoming to be very friendly. As you drive down the roads folks will wave, if you break down they will stop to help, and I know all of my Wyoming neighbors. I guess the thing to remember is that in Wyoming most people are "newcomers" so they are all going through the same things. If you are honest, and freindly others will be the same to you. Wyomiles

Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,619 times
Default friendly wy

Wyoming is very friendly. We have lived here 3 years and absolutely love it! We do live in a small town and have made great friends and met lots of people. When we moved into our house the neighbors had a "meet & greet" party for us and invited the neighborhood.

The website for the Casper newspaper is www.trib.com. It is the state newspaper. The other website that might help is the Wyoming Workforce Center. wwwwyomingworkforce.org.

I am from north central MT so the winters here aren't bad as far as what we're used to. There is snow (not a lot - except in the western part of the state), lots of wind. The roads are well maintained but as the post from wyomiles stated you just need to be prepared.

Cheyenne and Laramie are not always cold. Laramie has colder weather because of the elevation but it is also a smaller town. There are many great places in WY - you just need to decide what you are looking for and then see what town will fit you best.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 9,332 times
Hi im new to this site and would like to know if there is anyone here who can give me some advice on relocating to wyoming next summer.I am interested in the Cheyenne or Larimie towns.I live in florida and its time to make that move!I would appreciate any replys.thank you jessi

Old 12-29-2006, 10:24 AM
MHT

Default Cheyenne/Laramie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica777 View Post
Hi im new to this site and would like to know if there is anyone here who can give me some advice on relocating to wyoming next summer.I am interested in the Cheyenne or Larimie towns.I live in florida and its time to make that move!I would appreciate any replys.thank you jessi
What would you like to know? I'd be more than happy to help but I'm not sure what you would like info on. Cheyenne and Laramie are both great. Cheyenne is larger and isn't far from Fort Collins or Denver, CO. Laramie is smaller but has the University of WY. I'll answer in more detail when you let me know what you need.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:55 AM

35 posts, read 162,148 times
Default Im moving to Wyoming

Im moving to Wyoming either in at the end of February or the first of March because my boyfriend was offered a job there! Can anyone tell me anything to do there, or a place to meet people?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
MHT

Default moving to WY

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1988 View Post
Im moving to Wyoming either in at the end of February or the first of March because my boyfriend was offered a job there! Can anyone tell me anything to do there, or a place to meet people?
Where in WY are you moving to? I'd love to help you but need to know where you're going to be living first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming