Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2006, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,806 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering applying for a job in Fort Collins, but desire to move to Laramie or Cheyenne. My husband also has a possible job lead in Wyoming. Right now we are a pretty large family and want to make sure everyone will be happy there.

First, our family is racially mixed (me white, my husband black with children and inlaws on both sides - all of us living together) Do you think we would experience a large quantity of racism in this area?

Also, my aunt and sister-in-law lives with us. My aunt has cerebral palsy and cannot walk. My sister-in-law is mentally retarded. Both are in their 40s. Where we live now, in Richmond, VA; my aunt has an aide that stays with her during the day while we work and my sister-in-law works at a workshop for retarded citizens. Does anyone know of what services are available in Cheyenne or Laramie? Or perhaps a contact so I can call and find out?

Thank you in advance for any advice you could offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM

592 posts, read 2,234,519 times
Howdy Fayewray, Here is a web site that has lots of info.

http://www.cheyennecity.org/

Check out all of the links.

I think you and your family will be fine in either Cheyenne or Laramie. Cheyenne is the bigger city and not far from Denver or in your case Ft. Colllins. In fact there are many people who commute back and forth every day. There is a large military base in Cheyenne and the university of wyo. is in Laramie so there is much cultural diversity. Come on out ! Miles

Old 11-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Wyomiles,
Now that is a nice welcome! I will definitely check the website and I think I am going to put in for the job & hope it works out!
Take Care!

Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 PM

49 posts, read 209,582 times
Smile Wyo culture

Laramie is mostly a college town, high rent(relative to the state), drinking, and it has a high elevation and gets windy, I-80 is a very dangerous road, more so around Rawlins with the truck traffic, but still not a great commute in winter. I think Cheyenne would have more diversity, in 10 years in wyoming I have not seen the racism I saw back East, but the black pop. is probably less than 10% of the state. There are services for disabled people including respite and full time care in Chey., Laramie I don't know about. I have young and retired friends in Cheyenne and they like it there. The commute is 40 miles plus navigating FT. Collins traffic, if the drive is worth the cost of living difference to you then great, I think it's too far. East high school has a worse reputation than other high schools in Cheyenne from what I hear. That was a few years ago, so you might ask a local realator for more current info. The state gov. is in Cheyenne and they can give you more info. through the dept. of developmental disabilities, also a case manager can help you get state funding to help with care, medication, and adaptive equipment costs, if you do not already have this covered.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:15 PM

Ijwyo,
That is good info, thank you for sharing. I have lived in VA all my life so I want to have a good idea of what I was moving to before I proceed. So far, Cheyenne sounds wonderful - but that is all if I get the job :-) Since I have been with the Feds for almost 20 years now, I really want to stick with them. Depending on how things go we may consider living in Ft. Collins, but life in WY just seems more appealing. It's too bad I couldn't find any job openings in Warren AFB!
Thank you again.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:27 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,247,021 times
Default Cheyenne/Laramie

I don't think you'd have a problem with racism in either Cheyenne or Laramie but Cheyenne might have more services as far as the disabilities go. I'm not sure. The trip from Cheyenne to Ft. Collins isn't bad at all. I live in Wheatland (70 miles N) and there are many people here that work in Cheyenne. Good luck on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming