U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,486,998 times
Default Update on my previous post Bald Mnt. was not the place....

I was mistaken on the name of the place that is selling brand new single and double wides and then putting them on rented lots...

I guess Bald Mnt was full up and had no spaces available...

There is some new spots opening up at a new place in town I think though...

I called a really nice guy that works out of Gillette and is a dealer in Liberty Homes....

Anyone know much about that brand? The guy was very nice, and said the easy part is getting the manufactured home, but finding a rented lot is harder in Buffalo....

But I think this is what my husband and I are going to do, it will cost us about the same amount we are currently paying for our utilities and rent...

Anyone know about the availability of rented lots for Manufactured home lots are in Buffalo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM

72 posts, read 149,636 times
Be careful when purchasing a manufactured home. Visit several different makers before you make a decision.

We went to four different lots (some in Rapid City) and looked at 6 different brands. There is a HUGE difference in quality. Some I'm not sure would stand up to WY winds.

You should be able to get the building specs and compare them to the Unified Building Code (UBC). That will make your decision a tad easier.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM

17,168 posts, read 20,721,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmckee View Post
Be careful when purchasing a manufactured home. Visit several different makers before you make a decision.

We went to four different lots (some in Rapid City) and looked at 6 different brands. There is a HUGE difference in quality. Some I'm not sure would stand up to WY winds.

You should be able to get the building specs and compare them to the Unified Building Code (UBC). That will make your decision a tad easier.
If the modular is going inside City limits in Sheridan, it will meet Uniform Building Code and it will also meet local code, or the city won't let it in.

County, different set of rules. But it has to be outside the Comprehensive Planning Zone.

If it meets building code, it'll stand up to the wind.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 PM

72 posts, read 149,636 times
OK.........Now, I know the difference between Modular (2X6 wood framing) and it follows UBC and Manufactured (usually a steel frame foundation/base) or what we used to call a trailor house. I spent time in a building inspectors office as well as on a couple of planning commissions. (all in WY) But perhaps you can tell me, Why oh Why do the good folk here have such a conniption fit about either of the two???? Real Estate folk talk in hushed and scornful tones about one of the other as if there is no difference and neither one is worth near what you might buy a 30 or 40 year old piece of work that is way past it's useful life cause it wasn't built well in the first place!!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 PM

17,168 posts, read 20,721,326 times
that's a good question. First off, I don't think the Realitors are knowledgable about Modulars. In many cases, a modular is build better. because it's going to be towed, they brace it better during construction. Also, it's normally built inside. Not out in the weather getting rained and snowed on.

If a modular is set down on a foundation, or a basement and then lashed down, it's every bit as good as a regular house, if not better.

Even banks and such don't understand them. Try and get a morgage on one. Oh, excuse me, we don't loan money on 15 year old modulars. But they'll darn sure loan money on a 100 year old, falling apart house.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM

oh I know what you mean Elkhunter, I can't believe they will loan on a run down house and not a BRAND NEW modular or singlewide.... makes no sense to me either... I am hoping we won't have too much trouble with financing... the interest rates are low and that is a plus... but "in house" financing with a dealer, this guy on the phone was telling with his particular bank was 9%, to me that is a little high... so we are going to get our own financing... I am hoping maybe through FHA or something...

Actually we will be placing the home in the city limits of Buffalo if we go ahead with everything....
We are exploring the opportunity of a small lot in town(Buffalo) with all the utilities ready to go and hooked up already, but also a rented lot to...

The guy I talked to was working out of Millenium Homes out of Gillette, his name was Cody. Really informative and very helpful nice guy... He told me he beefs up the insulation and upgrades the carpet and makes some upgrades in order to make it stand up to Wyoming weather... He has some ads in the Buffalo Bulletin. I guess he owns a home himself from the company... which was reassuring too..

I did some research online and heard some horror stories of some brands... I don't care for a couple brands, I have rented/lived in before...

I also found a really great checklist from free consumer's advocate website on what to look for or ask for when buying manufactured home..

Quote:
What places did you visit and where did you end up deciding on purchasing from??? I am just curious

Last edited by Kristynwy; 03-04-2008 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 PM

97 posts, read 164,846 times
The main difference between a manufactured home and a modular home is the HUD certification and code and a UBC code. which is usually the water lines sewer hook ups and a HUD Manufactured home is on a stell frame where a modular home is on a wood frame shipped in on a steel frame. Also a UBC home has a crawl space access in the ceiling where Hud Homes dont.Lending is based on the banks not the Realtors. A HUD home is harder to get a loan on and to resale. This follows what the guidelines are for Ginnie MAE and Freddie Mac type loans at the time . They change from time to time and get easier or harder to do depending on the lending envirorment. Elk Hunter talks alot and has good info sometimes. I dont mind talking about this subject and dont do it in hushed and scornful tones as MSDMCkee says either. Hope this helps. Generally UBC or modular homes arer a little better quality than manufactured homes , But ive seen both being real nice

Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info Chad...

Do you know if there are any lots right now in Buffalo that would allow modulars? or doublewides? or both?

We have pretty much given up on renting... and are trying to buy...
In a few weeks we are going to head over to Iseman homes in Gillette, and see some of their models...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming