Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:10 PM

46 posts, read 52,888 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone, for such detailed responses. I know I have a lot to learn about Wyoming. My main reason for considering relocating is because of a specific grad program, and I intend to move on to another region of the US when done. I moved a lot when I was young, and I lived in very disparate places. I think I could adapt. My experience has been that you can find good people anywhere.

Last edited by Suelli5; 04-08-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 01:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
UW is great and Laramie is OK too. Nice places to explore and enjoy nearby.

WY has much to enjoy, Reasonable distance to DEN, and Ft Collins. (If you need an escape). Frontier has $29 flts (Bear Den sale dates) to the rainy PNW if you need to thaw out or get rehydrated.

If the UWy grad program is what suits your career, consider it high on your list!

Of course Laramie is very different from Seattle +/-. You acknowledge that, and it is only for a few yrs. (WY folks would consider SEA the same drastic change +/-)

Be prepared for wind (everyday) and bitter winter cold. Escape when necessary, enjoy when able.

Having lived in both regions for 25+ yrs each, I would do it in a heartbeat! (But I luv school)

I have a friend who is a Dept Chair at UW, and I hire UW Eng grads when they are available. PM if you want a contact.

Best wishes!
Enjoy the opportunities! (And you can always know and become familiar with ANOTHER UW...)

Old 04-08-2017, 03:39 PM

If you are 'foot-loose and fancy free' & want a yr 'preview' of WY to gain your residency (IIRC that does not usually apply to grad school fees). ...Consider some peripheral areas of WY that are very nice, but far from Laramie.

Sheridan, Sundance, Newcastle, Jackson, Cody, Powell.... That way you can get to know some other 'small-town' areas of WY that are also close the the benefit of neighboring states.

Earn a bunch of bucks so you can have more 'freedom' during School. (if you find you don't need WY residency...Consider income tax free AK as a 'gap yr' for teacher, or a gig at DOD schools around the globe.) friends that teach DoD are often VERY pleased with a totally different edu / teaching experience (And wished they would have switched decades earlier).

My UW friend had kids that made the reverse move (Laramie to Seattle), as did many of my co-workers (Ft Collins to Marysville, WA). There was significant adjustment (plenty of divorces / stress).

Dress for weather with layers and wraps (Neck wraps for wind), ear covers, light but warm gloves.
Winter sun allows you to drive around in shirt sleeves (car is warm, but not the 60 mph southbound air)!

BTW: your umbrella will also be be worthless in WY!
Never open both car doors at once! Poof, a cleaned out car.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 AM

46 posts, read 52,888 times
StealthRabbit-- $29 flights to the PNW -Really?? I came across some cheap flights between Seattle and Denver for around $150, which I consider a great bargain, and would take advantage of if I ever needed a break from the WY winter (although I wonder how easy it is to get to Denver in the worst of winter.)

I'll look into the deals about residency and grad school too.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suelli5 View Post
$29 flights to the PNW -Really?? ... I wonder how easy it is to get to Denver in the worst of winter.)

I'll look into the deals about residency and grad school too.

Thanks for the tips.
for cheap air - gotta get on the emails of discount carriers "Frontier has $29 flts (Bear Den sale dates) and... travel light (what fits under your seat), and not get an assigned seat. I use SWA because of free bags and free changes, (Usually $60 - $108 to DEN (booked during sales) thus... if I were in Laramie I would book a few trips near the same time, then take the one that works best with weather and classes, and defer the other trips to future travel (You get a yr to use the funds). I book on Friday's and Mondays for a better chance of getting bumped ($300 voucher + your fare).

Transport to DEN can be a bit sketchy, but in the rare case of a road closure, You can usually travel within a few days. (go early, come home a few days late, stay in Denver or Ft Collins with some friends)

Cost of Attendance | Graduate Students | Admissions | University of Wyoming
Grad school @ UWyo has a significant Resident advantage (1/3x), so sounds like you should pursue that option. (Gap yr as a resident). If you choose to do DoD international teaching, swap your addy to WY before you leave. (need physical addy for these - DL, Voting, and then get a PO box for your CC and other mail that can get forwarded.).

As mentioned... I would consider somewhere OTHER than Laramie for your gap /earning yr. You will get plenty of Laramie during your edu. There are many other fine choices, likely with better job opportunities.

best wishes on your adventure and future edu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming