Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 6,141 times

Advertisements

Just wondering where would be a good place for a single mom with 3 teenage boys to be moving? Gotta get out of California. It is between Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas

Last edited by Heapokids; 05-22-2017 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,751,908 times
Check out wyomingatwork.com

Find the job that will support you and your family. That's the best place to live.

I'm not giving you a blithe answer. The whole state is good for raising kids. But work is spotty. Go where you can make a living.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 PM

Default Thank you.

I am disabled but I want them to have some kind of future.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,751,908 times
Then depending on your disability and your ability to move, you may want to look at locations that have the health services you need.

Services, as a whole, are quite spotty here.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 PM

I have a BAD back, but it is looking like that just needs to be over come. I was raised in Ohio and really miss the seasons, but have always said I was gonna move to Montana someday. Wyoming is close ��

Old 05-23-2017, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,847 times
let choose for kid's favourite

Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,946,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Check out wyomingatwork.com

Find the job that will support you and your family. That's the best place to live.

I'm not giving you a blithe answer. The whole state is good for raising kids. But work is spotty. Go where you can make a living.
This^!

and wherever you can have good access to your needed medical services, too.

Also worth considering what you like to do for recreation, entertainment, shopping ....

Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 AM

10,247 posts, read 13,761,827 times
I'm going to second what branDcalf and sunsprit said.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:18 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,358,775 times
If work is going to be an issue, I would look at the larger "cities" in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. That would be Missoula, Flathead (Kalispell), Cheyenne, Casper, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, etc.

These are all cities with regional populations of roughly 100k or less. Perhaps waaaaaay less. But they're considered "big cities" in this part of the country. Some grittier than others, but all have most available services close by and opportunities for the kids when they get older.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,340,636 times
It's great to see you want to move your sons into a region where 'men are men' and where they would likely receive a decent (surrogate ?) upbringing from God-fearing men, who have hard-earned calloused-hands (as opposed to smooth, hairless, effeminate she/males, such as seem to be multiplying like VIRUSES, out there on the 'Left-Coast') and I TOTALLY get where you're coming from...

...but the amount of time & effort needed to hunt-down (Family-Services up to and including Housing, Utilities, Food & other sustanance, etc, etc) apply for, QUALIFY for, and MAINTAIN to such a degree until all three graduate high-school and either go off into the service, or out into the world on thier own...it literally would be a JOB in and of ITSELF, for you, just to keep all those plates up in the air.

Given the news (and rumours) I hear coming out of California, I truly feel for you...but I'm not entirely sure Wyoming OR Montana is really set-up to ab$orb much more 'West-Coast Diaspora', than it already has.

But...if I HAD to throw a dart...I would RESPECTFULLY suggest Billings, Montana. No sales tax...seems to be very supportive of a steady-trickle of Native Americans from Crow & Cheyenne Rez seeking to 'escape' the confines of said-Reservation...but I don't know any of them personally; my only experience (with Native Americans) is from our Wind-River Rez, down in Riverton/St.Stephens/Ethete area...supposedly it is among the wealthiest of all Reservations in the continental-US...and the state looks after them pretty well.

Wyoming is at least 75% blu-collar conservative minerals-extraction/ag-economy and 25% tourist-leaning...

...if you're back is nearly as 'trashed' as mine, you could find 'front of the house' (hostessing/managerial ?) work in a guest-ranch/mountain-lodge setting...or Walmart certainly seems 'diverse-minded' enough to sign you up...but not sure if you could honestly keep a roof over all your heads, pay your bills AND keep everybody fed on Walmart-wages...

...whereas a guest-lodge/guest-ranch MIGHT have on-site housing (cabin) available for the season to live out of...but once they see all three-kids 'in tow' behind you...with insurance-liability the way it is ? ? ?

Hate to say it, but all I can come up with again, is Billings, Montana...Denver certainly, but I would'nt be caught DEAD anywhere NEAR that town, with all the dope-smokers...

Salt Lake City or Boise are some possibilities; Mormon's are ALL 'about family'.....they certainly go out of thier way to look after thier OWN, from what I've seen...

It's a crap-shoot...that's all I can say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming