Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:29 PM

50 posts, read 61,651 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocating to Wyoming with my elderly mother and teen daughter. Its getting very expensive where we currently live (Fairbanks, Alaska) and the utilities are just going up and up while the jobs are disappearing due to the oil fields closing down under Obama and not returning due to our governor.

I looked at Cheyenne due to the proximity to University of Wyoming for my daughter and also Casper due to the cheap housing, but the elevation and wind turns us all off.

So We are not looking at Sheridan area. It seems like a cool and quirky little town that holds my values (conservative and artistic) and not too bad in the elevation nor weather. It also seems like a huge sense of community.

Since we live in 9 months of -20 to -40 temps in the winter with several feet of snow and hot and humid summers and have traveled all over the place, weather and isolation is easy for us. Traveling to shop or whatever meh... no big deal.

My biggest concern is jobs. I know the unemployment rate is low and that is great, but are there any jobs in Sheridan? I am a bookkeeper and about two years from a BA in business. I also have a Construction Management certificate because estimating and project management is not out of the realm for my future prospects.

It looks good for my mom and my daughter, but what about jobs for me? My biggest fear is moving there and then working in an entry level position due to not having anything available.

Also, talk to me about real estate. We want to get something for around $150K-$200K, and the housing seems to be a bit higher than Cheyenne and Casper and houses in that range seem to be mostly fixer uppers. Three women, one elderly, one teen, cannot deal with a fixer upper really.

And the gas prices, why are they so high?

Thank you guys for the information! I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,008 times
Housing has always been on the steep side in Sheridan, and even when the economy slows the inventory is low with few choices. 8-9 years ago, when the real estate market was souring in the rest of the country, $300k in Sheridan for a 1500 sq. ft. house was considered "affordable housing". Rentals aren't much better.

Sheridan College is pretty good for the size of the population, but not great. Decent nursing program if that's the way your daughter wants to go when the time comes.

If more job opportunities and housing is a concern, there are plenty of other places in Colorado, Montana, etc. if you're looking to be in the mountain west.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Housing has always been on the steep side in Sheridan, and even when the economy slows the inventory is low with few choices. 8-9 years ago, when the real estate market was souring in the rest of the country, $300k in Sheridan for a 1500 sq. ft. house was considered "affordable housing". Rentals aren't much better.

Sheridan College is pretty good for the size of the population, but not great. Decent nursing program if that's the way your daughter wants to go when the time comes.

If more job opportunities and housing is a concern, there are plenty of other places in Colorado, Montana, etc. if you're looking to be in the mountain west.

Thank you for the information!

We are sticking with Wyoming due to no income tax on my moms retirement. She refuses to pay any taxes on it which is understandable. I really just need to leave Alaska due to some very negative trends happening up here which makes me fear for any sort of future here.

So basically the housing market could have potential to increase its value over a period of time faster than other places it sounds like. That's ok, too.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:16 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,439 times
If you are interested in living in Wyoming, it is best to go where you can find work.

Check out wyomingatwork dot com.

Housing is high in Sheridan, for what you get. We have booms and busts. But, it sounds like you have created a perception of your own of what Sheridan is like. Still, I strongly recommend living where you have a job. Many people here work two, even when one is a degreed position. For some it is worth it. For others, it is not.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
If you are interested in living in Wyoming, it is best to go where you can find work.

Housing is high in Sheridan, for what you get. We have booms and busts. But, it sounds like you have created a perception of your own of what Sheridan is like. Still, I strongly recommend living where you have a job. Many people here work two, even when one is a degreed position. For some it is worth it. For others, it is not.

Thank you for the website!

I honestly have no idea what its like in Sheridan besides what is painted online. We are going to fly down and check it out after winter. As far as work goes, I can afford to go there and wait for quite a while for a job to open up, I am just wondering if educated jobs open up often.

It is 23% higher to live here in Fairbanks according to a few cost of living calculator city comparison charts and living down all over the Lower 48 for 15 years, sounds about right. We pay $3.50 for a gallon of milk, $15 for a whole chicken. Everything is shipped so we get the extra cost in our prices and the gas is still hovering around $3.50/gallon. Rent is average $1200 for a one bedroom apartment.

Companies are closing down all over this area and downsizing. The oil companies pulling out of here really changed the economy here and with the -40 winters, it makes for a very uncertain place to live!

But yes, the cost of living in Sheridan is more than Cheyenne, I see that for sure. Just wondering about jobs.

:-)

Old 07-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

Great site. Thank you.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:12 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,294 times
Billings, Montana. University is there, good hospital/medical care, 3 Walmarts, and zero sales-tax. But MT does take a bit out of one's paycheck.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Billings, Montana. University is there, good hospital/medical care, 3 Walmarts, and zero sales-tax. But MT does take a bit out of one's paycheck.
Cheaper housing costs, but their income tax does dig in a bit.

SD doesn't have a state income tax, but higher property taxes. I did a contract over in Rapid City (good health care options) and the permanent employees said the cost of living was so high "you have to be able to eat the scenery." I found a decent piece of ground to lease for a couple years that had something of a house on it. It worked okay, but was really ticky and snakey!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post

A community college is fine for us for her first two years. I know MT pretty well. But not moving there due to the income tax. My mom does not go to a doctor. Weird but true. She is 74 and has never been to a doctor. Lol

Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Housing prices (and rent) will be somewhat cheaper in Dayton & Buffalo.

Energy sector has been down for awhile. Might bounce back briefly but could be headed for further downward movement long term.

Overall though Sheridan metro is still growing a little and there are almost 15,000 jobs in the county of most of the usual kinds. Probably light on manufacturing & tech.

Gas prices vary for lots of reasons: taxes, supply / demand balance, refiner / distributor / retail market competition / collusion, ability to pay, delivery costs, etc.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-26-2017 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming