Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

I spent 25 yrs in Colo (Estes Park / Loveland; too expensive $$$ now), then 25 yrs in PNW (west Columbia Gorge, too wet/High Taxes) Next 25 = WYO? (I like Burgess Junct )

Spent 7yrs as a 'WYO paper boy' - Denver Post route..., Den>Laramie>Medicine Bow Casper>(KayCee)>Buffalo>Newcastle>Hawk Springs > Ft Collins (not by bicycle... )

so... not totally green to WYO weather and such, but would like a nice 'moderate' climate (as possible). My wife seems to have grown attached to trees , so this 'Prairie' boy (happy with a tumbleweed x-mas tree) needs to be 'understanding'...

Also would like a college nearby, or someplace close to swim laps frequently, and an airport (within 2 hrs) can be handy since we do some international volunteer work. Kinda picky ?

Low taxes and property cost... is kinda important since we live on a shoestring, but can do lots of 'sidejobs' (farm, welding, machinist, mech and civil eng, builder (comm+res), Diesel Mech, CDL (Truck) licensed) Washington's 'no income tax' was ok when I had an income but our Prop taxes just went to $11,000/yr !!! that's a bit tough on ZERO income

any suggestions?, something in a 'weather shadow'?
Powell? (slightly west to find a forest)

BTW:
What are Prop taxes on a $200,000 home?

(I might have to find a state with high income tax, and low prop and sales tax, to live cheap with no income)

thx,
I didn't find anything searching for WYO 'banana belt'.
jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 12:07 AM

49 posts, read 210,209 times
There are treed neighorhoods in casper that remind me of the south, a college, airport, and I think the taxes are low, my home is well under 200,000 it is just under 100,000 and I pay $200 a year, but there are not homes in this price range anymore, that time came and went. Casper is windy, most of WY except the Jackson part of the state is, it gets cold, icy, snowy, and then can get hot in the summer, or snow in the summer anywhere in the state, so I don't know what weather you are expecting, loveland has much nicer weather IMO. I would look at Lander or Riverton and Laramie for the things you seek in a town. Casper has a few options for swimming at gyms and parks. Sales tax in Casper (about 5%) is low compared to much of Colorado, and vehicle reg., insurance, ect. are lower. The state has no income tax, so that will save you about 10% out of your paycheck, more or less. Oh, we have no sales tax on groceries now, but that might change. I think if your wife can deal with the wind she would like the area, there are lots of clubs, classes, events, shopping, parks to walk in with trees, and a mtn. view. The outskirts are not treed, but go to the mtn. and you'll have plenty.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 PM

15 posts, read 64,941 times
Riverton/ Lander comes to mind which is slightly west/ center of the state.... or Aladdin near South Dakota border. Also, Baggs (North of Craig, CO) maybe an option although you will have the wind. Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 AM

46 posts, read 214,113 times
Once again, why is no one recommending Cody? As far as I know, it is still in WY - actually established by Buffalo Bill Cody! They have absolutely no water problems since they have not sold their water rights. This is absolutely something you need to consider no matter where you move in the West. The water tastes amazing and no water softner is needed if you live in town. WY is cheapest place in West to live if you check out all sites regarding cost of living for states.
Cody has a paid for recreation center that has a pool for swimming year round. They have a wonderful library that is moving into a new facility soon. They have great small town parades during July 4th celebration with small flea market going on. The rodeo is on every single night during June/July (Aug?) so you constantly see real 'cowboys' walking around downtown (or are they just rodeo cowboys?) The jail is also new and paid for. When they ask for sales tax increase to pay for new facilities, they stop that sales tax once the facility is paid for. Find that anywhere else in US - a tax that isn't considered permanent once it has been inacted. There is a bike/walk that goes through parts of Cody including a small lake with park included. They do lack some things - only grocery shopping is Albertsons or Wal Mart; plus K-Mart (small and on way out) and Wal Mart are basically only shopping for kids' clothes, etc. But it is fun to take that trip to Billings and hit all of the shops in one day. Short drive with lots of scenery on the way.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Default Wyoming area

There are several good places in Wyoming. From what I read I understand that having a college near is something that is important on your list. Most every town you can think of, except Recluse, haha has a gym and swimming available. Most all have great property taxes and a decent standard for living. Colleges are your choice of poison. Larmie, Gillette, Sheridan all have great colleges.

Some of you folks over the hill will have to testify for the western portion of the state. I do have a cousin that lives in Cody and although I have not been there, it sounds terrific.

I say the folks over the hill, I don't mean that about being old. Just, if you want to go there from here, you have to drive up to about 13000 feet and then drop off the other side to get there. haha They'll have to speak up about their area.

Believe me, this is not about "My area is better then your area". It's more about, "Hey, this is what we got, but look around."

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-01-2007 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,834 times
Is there an executive airport, in or around Cody, Wyoming?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
There's one main airport that serves executives, airport bums, and all manners of riffraff. It's just east of Cody and is called the Yellowstone Regional Airport. Yellowstone Regional Airport in Cody Wyoming

Yes, it can handle jets, if that's what you were wondering.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 03-02-2011 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
post was 5 years old...

Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
post was 5 years old...
Global Warming (Climate change) may be creating MORE Banana Belts in Wy. (Probably not as fast as Pine Beetles can brown the forests) Please keep the info coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming