Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2017, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

I have read all the posts I can find about moving to Wyoming, specifically Powell. Are there any decent grocery stores in Powell or does everyone drive to Cody for the Walmart? Where do people go for doctor appointments? Is there decent health care around? My last concern is housing. We have a large family ( 7 kids) and I wonder if there are any homes to rent that would hold us all. The houses seem smaller than we are used to but the upside are basements which we don't have here in the south. Also are people receptive to racially mixed people? I read that the majority of people are white, are there any black people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 12:38 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
[mod note] Post moved from an old Worland thread to one of its own. Powell is pretty far from Worland. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-17-2017, 09:19 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
Seems like a thriving 'medium-sized' (compared to most SMALL Wyoming towns) community which mostly revolves around surrounding farming/college-life. Grocery store always seems busy, there are other options (Family Dollar, Big-R and another department-store, the name of which escapes me at the moment) available, but yet...I have little doubt that there are a fair-amount of Powell residents who make the trip to Cody or Laurel, Montana Wallmarts...and perhaps even further to Billings to load-up at Costco/Sam's Club, to make use of 'no sales tax' option. Don't know how to help you with info on housing because I've never had one of my own...I would have to say housing seems 'average' for most anything you'd expect to find here in Wyoming, unless you're expecting 'high-end' options of the kind you'd see in Jackson or along Casper Mountain and Bighorn foothills. Because of the college and the surrounding farming-community, one should expect a sizeable amount of 'diversity'...most of which I see & deal with are Mexican, as I myself am involved in ranching.

If you are on Facebook, you might use the search-bar and type in 'Powell buy and sell' or 'Powell Classifieds' or 'Wyoming Marketplace' and click to 'join' any of those pages that come up...once you are approved you're likely to find more than just a few 'rentals' or houses/properties for sale listed on there, to choose from.

Just curious as to why you want to relocate ? Is it too 'crowded' where you are ?

Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 AM

507 posts, read 662,228 times
The Lt has given you a really good wrap-up. Blair's Market is an IGA store, and it is about
the same size as Albertson's in Cody. (Albertson's is a chain we have in the western states)
It's definitely a decent grocery store-they are also in Greybull/Worland/Thermopolis.

Lt is thinking of Shopko for the other store. It is like a smaller version of Walmart/Kmart.
(Used to be called Pamida).

Northwest College is a junior college in Powell. Nice campus, looks more like a small four
year college. There are some black students at Northwest. You won't find much diversity
in Powell or Wyoming in general, but shouldn't be a problem either. As Lt mentioned,
some Spanish-speaking people in Powell because of agriculture. Agriculture, cattle and
sheep ranching, and farming, especially sugar beets is the main economic driver along
with some oilfield up on Elk Basin and Garland Basin. The oilfield is very mature, so not
a lot of new jobs associated with it. Rest of employment is college, retail, services, etc.

Powell Valley is a full service hospital. West Park in Cody is a larger regional hospital.
Like you saw, older cottage/bungalow houses in center of town, and then the larger
houses are in the newer neighborhoods. The older houses probably don't go beyond 3
bedrooms, and there probably aren't many new ones for rent-they might be like 1500
a month if available. There are fair amount of rented houses because of the college.

Powell is not a tourist town like Cody. The high school is also a big deal there. Had a
dynasty in football for awhile. The basin is a dry area, so not as much snow.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:58 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Seems like a thriving 'medium-sized' (compared to most SMALL Wyoming towns) community which mostly revolves around surrounding farming/college-life. Grocery store always seems busy, there are other options (Family Dollar, Big-R and another department-store, the name of which escapes me at the moment) available, but yet...I have little doubt that there are a fair-amount of Powell residents who make the trip to Cody or Laurel, Montana Wallmarts...and perhaps even further to Billings to load-up at Costco/Sam's Club, to make use of 'no sales tax' option. Don't know how to help you with info on housing because I've never had one of my own...I would have to say housing seems 'average' for most anything you'd expect to find here in Wyoming, unless you're expecting 'high-end' options of the kind you'd see in Jackson or along Casper Mountain and Bighorn foothills. Because of the college and the surrounding farming-community, one should expect a sizeable amount of 'diversity'...most of which I see & deal with are Mexican, as I myself am involved in ranching.

If you are on Facebook, you might use the search-bar and type in 'Powell buy and sell' or 'Powell Classifieds' or 'Wyoming Marketplace' and click to 'join' any of those pages that come up...once you are approved you're likely to find more than just a few 'rentals' or houses/properties for sale listed on there, to choose from.

Just curious as to why you want to relocate ? Is it too 'crowded' where you are ?
Yep facebook seems to be becoming the most popular means for advertising/finding rentals. Even people introducing themselves and stating "im moving to the area and I'm looking for...." seems to be bring results.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,290,042 times
there NO tax on food in Wyoming .....

Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
there NO tax on food in Wyoming .....
yes, but most other items that one may purchase on a shopping trip are ... non-food items, household goods ...

Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Few landlords are going to permit seven children unless it's a mighty big (and expensive) house.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Few landlords are going to permit seven children unless it's a mighty big (and expensive) house.
or a mobile home on a dairy farm with 'attached' bunkhouse (i.e. shed)

My inlaws had one of those. Plenty breezy. but bunks for 6

Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 AM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
Default Powell Grocery Stores

Quote:
Are there any decent grocery stores in Powell or does everyone drive to Cody for the Walmart?
Family Dollar Store at Powell, WY

Mr D's Food Centers

Blair's Market - All Locations

Here are links to three Powell grocery stores that might give you some idea as to availability and pricing.

Last edited by volosong; 12-21-2017 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: fixed open quote hypertag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming