U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 PM

73 posts, read 334,957 times

Advertisements

When traveling across Wyoming on I-80 do you drive thru mountain ranges?
Will be traveling the last of April or first of May could we run into snow?
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:37 PM

8,089 posts, read 15,924,428 times
Virtually all of I-80 through Wyoming is 6,500 feet or higher in elevation, until you get near Cheyenne and eastward from there. So, snow is a possibility in late April or early May. It also has some higher points east of Evanston, east of Rawlins (that portion jokingly referred to by locals as the "Snow Chi Minh Trail"--it was built during Viet Nam), and Sherman Hill between Laramie and Cheyenne. All can get snow (even blizzards) from spring snowstorms.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 PM

357 posts, read 1,163,089 times
I-80 never really goes through mountains, though it is very high in elevation. The closest you get is the Snowy Range near Laramie. I-80 is mostly very barren badlands/desert. Most people who travel through Wyoming travel I-80, and assume the entire state looks like this, but not true. If you ever get the chance, take the time to explore the outstanding scenic beauty Wyoming offers.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:21 AM

26 posts, read 141,497 times
there is a pass just east of Laramie with a steep climb that maxes out about 8400 ft. (up from Laramie at 7200 ft. about 10 mi. away)
Everything else is pretty flat, but there will still be plenty of wind and snow in April/May.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 AM

610 posts, read 2,214,065 times
This might be a good time to mention that, although you never really pass through "The Mountains" heading through Wyoming ... the first eastern 50-miles will makes you feel like you just did (as previously mentioned) ... !BUT! ... once you're out of Wyoming into Utah, you start heading down in elevation. About 35 miles into Utah, you reach a couple of hilly curves (around Echo jct)which are fine if you keep your speed down 'til you get past where I-84 splits off - then it's about 11 miles when you come to an 11 mile mountain-pass ... same scenario - windy and maybe icy but keep your speed down and then it's about another 10 miles to Park City (exits) and from there for the next 23 miles, you're headed down the mountain. Good road but you must watch your speed as you drop from 6000+ft to 4200ft in that 23 mile stretch and there are many curves.
That's why they put I-80 where they did in Wyoming - ain't nothing gonna get you 'cept your imagination and maybe a deer or two ... and falling asleep (and over-correcting).

Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 AM

46 posts, read 196,590 times
Here's a link to the webcams for I80 in Wyoming. WYDOT Travel Information Service (Cheyenne)

Old 03-22-2008, 03:14 PM

357 posts, read 1,163,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talus View Post
there is a pass just east of Laramie with a steep climb that maxes out about 8400 ft. (up from Laramie at 7200 ft. about 10 mi. away)
Everything else is pretty flat, but there will still be plenty of wind and snow in April/May.
Wow, I'm an idiot. I completely forgot about that! That would be mountains, small mountains, but mountains nonetheless.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,435,416 times
I remember seeing mountains near Laramie and some near Evanston, but it is not like going through Colorado on I-70. There are a lot of wide open areas and a few hilly stretches. The canyonlike/rocky area by Rock Springs is neat to look at in my opinion and going through the tunnel by Green River. I will be going through there in early June on my way to Las Vegas.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:45 AM

610 posts, read 2,214,065 times
Yes Chris - you can see the mountains ... but you're never really in them.
I see the "rise" is mentioned going over Wamsutter between Laramie and Rawlins - it's simply a high-elevation drive ... probably one of the most expensive little gas-stations in the West (if it's open) and if you've been having car problems and nothing's happened yet, this is probably where it will happen.
A touch of chicanery one either side of Rock Springs and then a nice view of the Uinta Mountain Range 25 miles to the south from Bridger Valley (abt mm 48) on to the state line.
I use the same rules for telling people about driving across Wyoming as I tell them about living in Wyoming ... it is no piece of cake. Come prepared for weather and tow-trucks.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

2,187 posts, read 4,218,679 times
As mentioned 10 miles east of Laramie is the highest elevation of I80 and there is a bust of Lincoln in the rest area to commemorate this. The worst weather/road conditions IMHO is when you drive past Elk Mountain between Laramie and Rawlins. Many have said that it should have been built east of there. If there is snow out there and the wind is blowing across the highway you can be confronted with ice almost anywhere. Most likely it will be dry but windy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming