Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:13 PM

77 posts, read 91,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Women are in short supply and those with good jobs are like a unicorn sighting. I do like the wide open spaces and proximity to Salt Lake, but definitely didn't care for the town. The main hobbies are drinking, doing meth, and getting pregnant or getting people pregnant. Many locals in Wyoming often don't associate with outsiders. In eight years of living in Wyoming virtually all my friends were also transplants. Sorry to be so blunt. If you have a choice I'd give it a pass.
Women in short supply huh? Wouldn't that make the odds in my favor if I were looking? lol good thing I am not...too self-absorbed and into my own adventures for anything like that. I should mention that I am usually not noticed or approached I am not a white girl and so that makes things easier..I am adorable but lol..some men may not be into me...that isn't to say that I am not attractive I just think it takes a particular kind of guy to have the guts to approach me..usually they are pretty hot..independt..and and a loner like me. Also..I am not expecting to have a community outside of work..I am a pretty private, quiet, keep to myself sort of girl, I am ok with people not associating. I said in a previous post..as long as there is a library, a grocery store, somewhere to eat...I am satisfied. Probably not gonna pass...sounds like a pretty interesting place and a challenge..we will see if I can last or not lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 12:18 AM

6,344 posts, read 7,707,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
I was thinking about getting a gun myself. ...I am not a hunter so it would be purely for self-protection...should probably get on that.
Please, please invest some time and money obtaining firearm training. It's popular in some circles to strongly diss the NRA these days, but they do have excellent training classes and instructors. It never makes the news, but more people are injured or killed by firearms due to ignorance of their proper care and handling than by the use of firearms by those with evil intent.

People in Wyoming grow up with firearms and know how to handle them. If you've never owned one before, get some training! Any local gun store will be able to recommend a local NRA instructor or class. An instructor will also be willing to help you select the proper tool for your particular situation, experience, and usage.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-22-2018, 05:36 AM

10,288 posts, read 13,808,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
Women in short supply huh? Wouldn't that make the odds in my favor if I were looking? lol good thing I am not...too self-absorbed and into my own adventures for anything like that. I should mention that I am usually not noticed or approached I am not a white girl and so that makes things easier..I am adorable but lol..some men may not be into me...that isn't to say that I am not attractive I just think it takes a particular kind of guy to have the guts to approach me..usually they are pretty hot..independt..and and a loner like me. Also..I am not expecting to have a community outside of work..I am a pretty private, quiet, keep to myself sort of girl, I am ok with people not associating. I said in a previous post..as long as there is a library, a grocery store, somewhere to eat...I am satisfied. Probably not gonna pass...sounds like a pretty interesting place and a challenge..we will see if I can last or not lol
The odds would be in your favor, as long as you're also into the three main hobbies of the town. There are two libraries and three grocery stores. Most restaurants are Chinese or Mexican.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,547,335 times
Quote:
The odds would be in your favor, as long as you're also into the three main hobbies of the town. There are two libraries and three grocery stores. Most restaurants are Chinese or Mexican.
Sands is a pleasant Chinese restaurant. Both the clam chowder and the Egg Foo Young are superlative. I don't patronize bars or associate with people who use illegal drugs or who have illegitimate children so I must defer to your greater familiarity with the demimonde. I don't even meet people who do what you've described. I suspect that the experiences of most people in Wyoming are more like mine than yours.

Inhabitants of any city or rural area group themselves into different social strata based on income, education, and taste. This is true in Rock Springs; it's true in New York City as well.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Please, please invest some time and money obtaining firearm training. It's popular in some circles to strongly diss the NRA these days, but they do have excellent training classes and instructors. It never makes the news, but more people are injured or killed by firearms due to ignorance of their proper care and handling than by the use of firearms by those with evil intent.

People in Wyoming grow up with firearms and know how to handle them. If you've never owned one before, get some training! Any local gun store will be able to recommend a local NRA instructor or class. An instructor will also be willing to help you select the proper tool for your particular situation, experience, and usage.
I accept that I am ignorant of firearms..and intend to get training and instruction as well as practice. Its sad to think that someone would buy one and not think to do any training. Thanks for suggesting the NRA...as a leftie...I wouldn't have considered it..will check it out now. -thanks

Last edited by browneyedgirlca; 02-22-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I am scared to ask...but what are the three main hobbies of the town??

Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Sands is a pleasant Chinese restaurant. Both the clam chowder and the Egg Foo Young are superlative. I don't patronize bars or associate with people who use illegal drugs or who have illegitimate children so I must defer to your greater familiarity with the demimonde. I don't even meet people who do what you've described. I suspect that the experiences of most people in Wyoming are more like mine than yours.

Inhabitants of any city or rural area group themselves into different social strata based on income, education, and taste. This is true in Rock Springs; it's true in New York City as well.
That food..sounds great. I agree with you on the way people organize themselves...i don't associate usually with too many people outside of my interests. I am not the sorta of person who depends on others for things or allow them to lean on me for things either. I have noticed a sort of hunger in people that tend to fall into the lesser life states of being human...like that are searching for a savior or expecting to be saved..I just avoid that at all costs..that does not necessarily mean poor or druggie but could be a needy middle-class stay at home mom as well.

I read a lot of stuff about Rock Springs on other threads..and I can't imagine it could be that bad..compared to LA or Chicago..or any other major city. I suppose in terms of the state it could suck when compared to others cities there but for me..probably not so much. When I was there...I did notice that..there weren't too many people that looked like me...but that isn't a problem for me..dunno if it will be a problem for others. Hope not but..I can't worry about things like that..if I did..most of my adventures wouldn't have ever happened.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,009,503 times
you may be disappointed trying to eat at the "Sands Restaurant and Lounge", featuring Chinese and American food ... reportedly closed some time ago.

In any event, when I see such a disparity in cuisines ... I avoid such places. "Clam chowder" ain't Chinese food ... nor, for that matter ... the typical heavily oversauced "moo goo gai glop" foodlike substances which include egg foo whatever.

Rock Springs restaurant scene is typical Wyoming fare: if you like franchise commissary industrial food, you're in luck. All the more so if you like pre-pack "heat 'n serve" substances from Shamrock or Sysco wholesalers/suppliers to the restaurant trade which dominate the industry here.

Most of the restaurants here are chain/franchise.

Think in terms of: Fast Food 'burger chains, pizza chains, Subway sandwich shops, breakfast (IHOP & similar), Mexican chains, b-b-que chains, doughnut shops, Golden Corral type "steakhouses", and so forth.

For reference, you might check out the "yelp" or similar restaurant reviews on this town. It's kinda' revealing when the mickey d's and burger king and House of Pancakes and Subway sandwich shops can outrank by customer reviews a lot of the local indie restaurants. Yes, there are a couple of local outfits that do rank at the top ... but if you're coming from an area of the country where dining (and fine dining) presents a competitive environment with actual chefs (as opposed to "food service" providers) ... you may be disappointed here.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-22-2018 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
you may be disappointed trying to eat at the "Sands Restaurant and Lounge", featuring Chinese and American food ... reportedly closed some time ago.

In any event, when I see such a disparity in cuisines ... I avoid such places. "Clam chowder" ain't Chinese food ... nor, for that matter ... the typical heavily oversauced "moo goo gai glop" foodlike substances which include egg foo whatever.

Rock Springs restaurant scene is typical Wyoming fare: if you like franchise commissary industrial food, you're in luck. All the more so if you like pre-pack "heat 'n serve" substances from Shamrock or Sysco wholesalers/suppliers to the restaurant trade which dominate the industry here.

Most of the restaurants here are chain/franchise.

Think in terms of: Fast Food 'burger chains, pizza chains, Subway sandwich shops, breakfast (IHOP & similar), Mexican, b-b-que, doughnut shops, Golden Corral type "steakhouses", and so forth.

For reference, you might check out the "yelp" or similar restaurant reviews on this town. It's kinda' revealing when the mickey d's and burger king and House of Pancakes and Subway sandwich shops can outrank by customer reviews a lot of the local indie restaurants. Yes, there are a couple of local outfits that do rank at the top ... but if you're coming from an area of the country where dining (and fine dining) presents a competitive environment with actual chefs (as opposed to "food service" providers) ... you may be disappointed here.

And yes, I've spent more days/overnights in Rocksprings over the last 25 years when I was passing through or making sales calls and had to take clients to lunch/dinner, or find a place for myself if solo. In a word, the restaurant scene there "sucked", even when I've patronized some of the "better rated" and oft-times higher priced places there.
I laughed the whole time I read this..I mean it's of 80 and I have been there and eaten there...but I am sure it's full of chains..not a problem though there's a grocery store..so good thing I can cook! Also, checked yelp..top 10 listed were local places..so ..I will likely try them all out..and more than once. I am not a fancy girl ..just bare essentials will do...I have been on lot of road trips where my only option was a truck stop so I can handle frozen, microwaved, deep fried food when I don't feel like cooking but there seem to be some pretty good options for good food.

I was thinking about shopping..I am not too much of a shopper..but Amazon will do. Shocked though to find that there is a mall...with a TJ MAXX!!! I thought there wouldn't be anything out there lol...While on yelp I also looked up doctors, hospitals, and the bare necessities that cities have and was pretty satisfied. Won't know what it's like till I am there..and will see if I hate it or not. btw you seem way classier than me lol...much better taste haha

Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 AM

507 posts, read 656,767 times
When I wrote response, I didn't realize you've already been there a few times. So you know the general area. Green River is a nice smaller town-it's actually the county seat-I could happily live in either town, they are so close to each other. Green River demonstrated their sense of humor some years ago by deciding to provide an earth-friendly location for UFO visitors-and designated their airport as the Green River Intergalactic Spaceport. (I think it is still just a dirt runway-so space people need to be aware of that) GR is also mostly industrial employment and is a railroad town.

Seems like it could work out for you, being you are self-reliant and like the geography. Looks like you are one of those folks who know how to bloom where you are planted. My two favorite places to eat in RS are Coyote Creek or the Bitter Creek downtown. There's also a snazzy restaurant out at the golf course. Plenty of other places, even one of those trendy
Costa Vida joints. I don't go to bars, and I have flat-out zero tolerance for any kind of stoners. So I just don't meet up with the more interesting element. My friends there have churches they attend, are involved in rodeo, and they like it just fine. I'm sure the library is good, and there will be another library up at Western Wyoming College. Beyond that, you've
got Walmart (ta da), Murdoch's, a new Sportsman's, a Ford truck dealer, so all the important stuff is there anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming