U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 07:11 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,773,349 times

Advertisements

So I am coming to Wyo in a few weeks, starting out in the Buffalo area and Sheridan then Camping in the Big Horns. I am looking for a few ideas of what to do or see that involves hiking, camping, canoeing, fishing, views and seeing wildlife. Shell Falls are on the list but they don't look that spectacular. I would like to drive through the Grassland Basin to see some pronghorn but I wonder if all I'll see is Nebraska

I'm bringing a small inflatable boat so I can access some smaller lakes, rivers to fish for some trout. I am also interested in the history of the old west and old west towns. Is Worland or Greybull worth seeing? This is my Northwest Wyoming trip, next year it's Yellowstone and points west. I assume there isn't much to see south of 80?

Any other Ideas are welcome...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 PM

11,376 posts, read 47,223,170 times
Big Horn area presents many activities per your list … my usual travels are to head West from Buffalo and it's only a matter of minutes to the first campground areas where you'll find numerous hiking/camping/fishing opportunities.

South of I-80 presents a lot of activities in accordance with your priorities … which I would not casually dismiss:

the Medicine Bow Nat'l Forest (West of Laramie) … on the East side with Woods Landing, Centennial, and Albany are, IMO, spectacular areas and lead over to the Encampment through Saratoga area. We've spent a lot of time riding our horses throughout the area, there's lakes up there with the activities/camping/fishing that you seek. Brooklyn Lake has been a destination for us on many trips … we've been able to ride for hours through the forests there and even on "busy" summer weekends, we've rarely encountered other visitors/riders. It's almost as if you had a wilderness riding/hiking experience all for yourself. More than a few times we've ridden into one of the major campgrounds there, only to have it all to ourselves except for a few fisherman at the Lake itself.

If you are into hot springs, then the "hobo pool" at Saratoga is worth a stop (free and a very nice facility with the locker room and the sizable soaking pool), directly adjacent to a good fishing river where you can bank fish or float with your inflatable … and Lake Saratoga nearby offers camping/fishing opportunities.

Further West, I wouldn't dismiss The Flaming Gorge National Recreational Area … South of Rock Springs, it's a large lake for the region … again, many camping/hiking/fishing/boating opportunities present.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-01-2018 at 11:41 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 11:34 AM

5,897 posts, read 5,513,308 times
There are a number of nice lakes in the Bighorns, especially in southwest part. There is also the Medicine Wheel, Hole in the Wall, Ten Sleep canyon. Both Buffalo and Sheridan have good old west museums, though the Buffalo Bill complex in Cody is the biggest.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:52 PM

8,639 posts, read 10,522,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So I am coming to Wyo in a few weeks, starting out in the Buffalo area and Sheridan then Camping in the Big Horns. I am looking for a few ideas of what to do or see that involves hiking, camping, canoeing, fishing, views and seeing wildlife. Shell Falls are on the list but they don't look that spectacular. I would like to drive through the Grassland Basin to see some pronghorn but I wonder if all I'll see is Nebraska

I'm bringing a small inflatable boat so I can access some smaller lakes, rivers to fish for some trout. I am also interested in the history of the old west and old west towns. Is Worland or Greybull worth seeing? This is my Northwest Wyoming trip, next year it's Yellowstone and points west. I assume there isn't much to see south of 80?

Any other Ideas are welcome...
You'll see pronghorn all over Wyoming and in western Nebraska. You might even get sick of them as they are about as common as white tailed deer in Wisconsin.

Worland and Greybull are neat little towns, not sure that I'd spend a lot of time in them. Maybe someone here can chime in on the finishing or hiking in the area as I've only just passed through them on a regular basis.

In regards to a future trip, as sunsprit mentioned, the Flaming Gorge near Rock Springs is a neat area and you'd have it mostly to yourself. Also, if you are in that area and have time, go to Dinosaur National Monument on the Utah/Colorado border and camp out. Try to time it when there is no moon. The night sky viewing is spectacular.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,190 posts, read 45,350,185 times
For Bighorns, I like Route 14 and 14 A and a nice long stop @ Burgess Jct and nearby lakes / streams.

While you are in the neighborhood, Thermopolis

If you are doing a 'round trip' (You mention I-80) as above...I would definitely take the Snowy Range loop Centennial to Saratoga. (Encampment has a very nice reconstructed town / museum). (south of 1-80)
https://www.travelwyoming.com/listin...e-scenic-byway
https://www.travelwyoming.com/things.../scenic-byways

Slightly NORTH of I-80 (few hundred yards) is Vedauwoo. Great for camping and laying on the warm boulders to watch the stars.

On your way in (SD) do the Needles Highway, Wind Cave, and Badlands (If you have not done so recently)

NE.... Cabelas, Car Henge, Ollies Big Game Bar, Pioneer Village, Windmill State Park. and a bunch of other stuff.

Next yr.... Yellowstone...

Beartooth Highway and Tetons (Raft / kayak trip @ sunrise)

Old 06-02-2018, 08:21 PM

3,132 posts, read 4,964,992 times
everybody leaves out Devils Tower, yeah it a bit out of the way... but one can also take back roads to Sheridan and Buffalo

Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 PM

9,728 posts, read 18,841,116 times
I have a hard time suggesting routes over the Bighorns, 14 or 16. Hwy 14/14A has the most impressive climbs and descents, but 14 going across the top is flat and straight, relatively boring. Hwy 16, on the other hand, has moderate hills and curves and ample forestry all the way up and over. Both roads are good, wide highways that shouldn't give most motorists any problems. (Those with heavy trucks, motorhomes or camp trailers/5th wheels need to monitor their brakes so they don't overheat on the downhill side!)

There are two good-sized mountain lakes just off Hwy 16. Tie Hack Reservoir is about 15 miles west of Buffalo, iirc. It's maybe a mile off the highway, but there's a good gravel road right to it. I've fly fished it from shore a time or two -- nothing to brag about, but catching dinner shouldn't be difficult. I've thought about taking my 6-man raft out on it, but it's a little big for one person with no rowing rack. About 15 miles west of Powder River Pass you'll see Meadowlark Lake. Very pretty lake, bigger than Tie Hack. While it's fairly protected from wind, it's not as protected as Tie Hack. I've never fished it. (I prefer streams/rivers.)

I know there are some lakes near 14, but I can't think exactly where. For camping and fishing, my wife and I usually head up Hwy. 16 and stay at Middle Fork, Tie Hack or South Fork (FS) campgrounds; if it's too cool for comfort in the mountains, we head east to Devils Tower.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,976,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Is Worland or Greybull worth seeing?

Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming