Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times

Advertisements

Petunias will handle cold better than most veggies. The raised bed idea with the rail road ties is good but make sure they have not been soaked with cresoak - I am sure I spelled that wrong but it would not be good for the soil you grow your food in. I have made tents over some early plantings - sticks in the ground with plastic over the sticks and covered that with old blankets. Ya'll are in a lot colder environment but that method would sure beat trying to pick up heavy boxes and carry them somewhere. My back is older than my other body parts!

I saw a fabulous tomato plant last summer grown in a five gallon bucket. OK now I have to find veggies for dinner!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM

59 posts, read 232,858 times
I've enjoyed this forum tremindiously!
I'm coming out to visit the area in May and look at possibly moving there after being in Missouir for the last 30 or so years. My husband and I garden and have just came in from un-covering all of the preninals that were being protected all winter from leaves. The BBQ grill is going, the hoot owls are hooting and the peepers are peeping. Along with that we've had two major storms with those nice little twisters.
Do they have tornado's there?
Anyway we'll be leaving spring and sure hope it's hit there before we get there!
Missoui is full of rocks and red clay depending on what spot you stake your claim to. We do both raised beds and regular deep tilled!
HOPE YOU ARE ALL in the BBQ season by NEXT weekend!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie missouri View Post
I've enjoyed this forum tremindiously!
I'm coming out to visit the area in May and look at possibly moving there after being in Missouir for the last 30 or so years. My husband and I garden and have just came in from un-covering all of the preninals that were being protected all winter from leaves. The BBQ grill is going, the hoot owls are hooting and the peepers are peeping. Along with that we've had two major storms with those nice little twisters.
Do they have tornado's there?
Anyway we'll be leaving spring and sure hope it's hit there before we get there!
Missoui is full of rocks and red clay depending on what spot you stake your claim to. We do both raised beds and regular deep tilled!
HOPE YOU ARE ALL in the BBQ season by NEXT weekend!
There are occasional tornadoes in Wyoming, but they're not terribly common, like they are in Oklahoma, for example. A recent tornado in Wyoming (a year or two ago) pretty much wiped out the town of Wright, which was very unfortunate. Fortunately, though, that type of event is very rare. The City-Data pages for Wyoming tell about tornadoes for several, but not all, towns. From what I've heard and read, the areas that are most susceptible are the areas on the plains east of the Rockies (Cheyenne, Wheatland, Lusk, Wright, Newcastle, etc.) but they could happen almost anywhere.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Oh great - I didn't know Wyoming had tornado's! I thought I would be getting far far away from the scary things. Last weekend one was headed right for my house (in Arkansas) but luckily died out less then twenty miles away. This is a strange weather year.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Clay Lady...
jdavid had it right when stated that Wyoming can have the occasional tornado, but as also stated, they are not like further south. I've lived in Cheyenne, Newcastle, and Gillette and the worse tornado was from the same storm system that hit Wright (actually the biggest tornado I have ever seen here) but it was only an F2 I think when it touched down outside of Newcastle and relocated a mobile home. I've seen funnel clouds and ropes, but they never seem to last long. I've driven with one on the ground behind me and another whipping up garbage cans alongside(not at the same time)... and that one took some trees down and parts of roofs, but that is all. I think the hail is worse - imo - than the tornadoes themselves (I was in Keyhole when the tornadic storm went through...3-4 years ago?? and took out many a windshield with baseball/softball sized hail).
I've spent some time in Oklahoma and Texas during their season and it is a very different, and more frightening, scenario. That being said...tornadoes can occur virtually anywhere, and there is always that chance for a nasty one here. I know that in Newcastle, at any rate, and I am assuming most places here, their warning systems are good with plenty of notice.

For the most part...tornadoes are more the exception than the norm here. I think, 4 times is the most that I can remember having a tornado warning in one summer in the places I've lived.

Last edited by HighlandLady; 04-06-2008 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: bloody grammatical errors

Old 04-08-2008, 02:41 AM

10 posts, read 32,433 times
I know it's almost spring I can get rid of my tire chains in a few days yayyyyyy spring!!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
OP - Is winter over? Is it June yet?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - Is winter over? Is it June yet?
That's wishful, Greg. I've been snowed on quite a bit in June and July - and still can't swim in most "lakes" even then. But August is coming!! ... yep - been snowed on in August too. But Septem ..... oh, never mind.
Spring - it's a state of mind!!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
That's wishful, Greg. I've been snowed on quite a bit in June and July - and still can't swim in most "lakes" even then. But August is coming!! ... yep - been snowed on in August too. But Septem ..... oh, never mind.
Spring - it's a state of mind!!
I agree with you...it's a state of mind! We are forecasted to have more snow off and on in the next few days...but I have been out regardless teaching myself to drive a manual transmission

We've had snow here in Wyoming in July, thunderstorms in February. It keeps things exciting

Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
This year we are going to offically celebrate summer on the 9th of July. From noon til 3pm. Get your party hats ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming