Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 05:50 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times

Advertisements

Wyoming Voters Turnout And Switch Parties In Higher Numbers | Wyoming Public Media

Came across this article about record number of voter turn out leading up to the primaries and another site mentioned that 12000 Wyomingites have changed party affiliation- 90% it said, to Republican.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming-officials-say-more-than-switched-parties-around-primaries/article_bf22eabc-e8a6-55a8-a58b-cb77fabe89de.html

My question... what is is like in your neck of the woods? Have you heard of any party switches or are people keeping quiet? I know I cannot come out as a Conservative where I work or I will be vilified by staff and students alike, and I fear retaliation (cannot have any stickers on my car or it would get vandalized). I am keeping my options open for moving to Wyoming, as I have been at my current school 5 years so finally qualify for loan forgiveness. Would be nice for a change, if my hubby would agree as we are in a very high tax state and we're both conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 06:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Came across this article about record number of voter turn out leading up to the primaries and another site mentioned that 12000 Wyomingites have changed party affiliation- 90% it said, to Republican.
No idea what's going on with the party numbers in Montana, but that's really good news from next door.

Also, that's what, about a 5% shift?
<goes off, finds numbers>
Pretty close.
https://soswy.state.wy.us/Elections/VRStats.aspx
<comparing January with October>
Closer to 20,000 gain under the R column.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:04 PM

507 posts, read 662,228 times
It's only temporary....many are DID's (Democrats in Disguise). You can read more about it on the thread: Wyoming Governor 2018 Race.

Nickel tour: Wyoming voters can change their party affiliation before the primary and then change it back again before the
general election. Because the Republican party has such a hegemony-we're the most Republican dominated state, there are Democrat or Unaffiliated voters who will register as Republican so they can vote in the Republican primary. They say that way they at least may have a say in who gets elected. Ostensibly, they vote Republican in the Republican primary and then Democrat in the general elections.

It has been this way for a long time, but got extra attention this year because organizations actually advertised asking non
Republican voters to change to Republican in order to sway the choice to the supposedly most moderate candidate. And while it appears to have worked, the fact there were six Republican primary candidates also had a great deal to do with it.
Now talk is of changing the law, and/or having a runoff election in the Republican primary. So if you are thinking it looks like Reps gained a lot of new converts, well, you could say they haven't actually joined the church on a permanent basis yet.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:31 PM

Yeah, that strategy gets used in California (or did, back when it actually made a difference). Join the opposite party temporarily for the primary, and vote for the least-electable candidate to give your own guy a better shot come November. Still, gotta figure not all of 'em are just trying to thumb the scales... well, we'll see come election night.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM

Location: Sierra Nevada foothills, south of Yosemite National Park
10 posts, read 5,821 times
Let me tell you how bad things are here in CA for the upcoming election.

Because of the "'jungle primary" where the top two vote getters go on to the general...we now have the option this year to choose as Senator, ancient Dianne Feinstein (horrendous liberal) and...Kevin De Leon, a younger, even more crazed liberal.
The thinking for us conservatives (yes, there are millions of us in CA, we're just outnumbered) is to vote for Feinstein while we also vote for the Republican for Governor, in the hope that Feinstein could die in office and the Republican Governor could then appoint a Republican Senator to replace her...even though that person would lose in the very next election.

Odds are that the Dem running for Governor, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom (currently with an 8-23 point lead in polling) will win, so this strategy won't pan out.
But when you're dying for a drink, any mirage is hopeful.
Cannot wait to get our of here.
I apologize for the diversion. I saw CA mentioned and couldn't help myself.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggreg View Post
Let me tell you how bad things are here in CA for the upcoming election.

Because of the "'jungle primary" where the top two vote getters go on to the general...we now have the option this year to choose as Senator, ancient Dianne Feinstein (horrendous liberal) and...Kevin De Leon, a younger, even more crazed liberal.
The thinking for us conservatives (yes, there are millions of us in CA, we're just outnumbered) is to vote for Feinstein while we also vote for the Republican for Governor, in the hope that Feinstein could die in office and the Republican Governor could then appoint a Republican Senator to replace her...even though that person would lose in the very next election.

Odds are that the Dem running for Governor, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom (currently with an 8-23 point lead in polling) will win, so this strategy won't pan out.
But when you're dying for a drink, any mirage is hopeful.
Cannot wait to get our of here.
I concur with you on this 100%.
Just sent in my ballot via mail.
And I can't wait to get outta this cesspool here too.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM

149 posts, read 258,957 times
If nothing else the current state law regarding party affiliation switches at the polls, and the ensuing data analysis post-primary makes for great alternate history speculation. If same day party switching had not been permitted, it’s highly likely that Ron Micheli would have been Wyoming Governor these past 8 years, and that Foster Friess would likely have been the Governor-Elect in the wings...

Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggreg View Post
Sorry, I'll go wash my brain out with soap. But you're right -- that was meant to enforce single-party status on California politics. Every other state, You Have Been Warned.

TNT25, I like the alt-history idea. Run with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming