Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 03:26 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Maybe I should be asking this on the Idaho and Montana forums, but figure since we're focusing on Yellowstone, I'd ask here.

Looking for places to live that is within a couple hours drive of Yellowstone. The closer the better. The most important requirement is that is has good internet that can weather a storm.

A little about us...
We're married, kids grown and out.
We're not "out on the town people", but would love a good local diner.
Hubs would be working from home, and I might look for a a part time job during the tourist season.
Not sure about renting or buying yet... but an idea about budget would be no more than 1600 in rent, maybe 250K for house? Kind of guessing at this point. We do not need a big place, but would like a relatively safe area.

Looking at a map we can see Idaho Falls, Bozeman and Cody as the bigger cities... Then there's Thermopolis, Powel to the east (probably a little further out, but that's fine) Rexburg in Idaho, Livingston to the north.

Any feedback or ideas would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
My first thought was Cody. Don't know about rental costs, but your budget for a house is slim. Thermopolis would be within that budget, but is at the limit of your distance from Yellowstone. Powell is further away than Cody, and probably outside your purchase budget.

Idaho Falls is an option, as is Livingston. Forget Bozeman. Too expensive. Being a college town, there is abundant rentals. Not sure of the costs. I like Rexburg, but again, difficult on a $250K budget.

Some other options to consider. Riverton, Lander, Worland, and maybe Pinedale in Wyoming. Maybe even West Yellowstone, a five minute walk from anywhere in town to the western entrance of the park. The suburbs of Bozeman, (e.g., Belgrade, Manhattan). In Idaho, take a look at Pocatello/Chubbuck.

Good luck. $250K for a decent house is going to be difficult anywhere but in the smallest cities, (which will have questionable internet).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-16-2019, 06:13 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,474,524 times
If you are looking for a part time job in tourist season around Yellowstone, you are going to need to be closer than Bozeman or even Idaho Falls, unless you want to work in on of the satellite towns.

Other suggestions closer in are Ashton, ID, Island Park ID, and Dubois, WY. Those all have a few smaller homes near $250k. (Your rental budget seems better than you purchase budget, BTW.) West Yellowstone is pretty expensive to buy, as is anything north out the west entrance of Yellowstone. Pocatello is getting 3-4 hours from Yellowstone.

As for the internet, I would not write off the internet in the small towns; just make it a point to try to test it there and check out the service providers and options.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
when we lived in Star Valley we do day trips 4-5 tomes a year to Yellowstone. we hiked most every 5 to 8 mile trail in the Park

Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Size of town you prefer and amount of snow you want / can handle are key. The choice can narrow pretty quickly.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I prefer the west / and Tetons so would look at Star Valley and ID.

Really handy to be close to SLC and perks of a metro (airport and medical and Costco) (Star Valley / SE ID works for this) Great skiing nearby, very pretty in fall season (NE UT) + Hot Springs! (ID)

If you like MT and the Big Horns, I would recommend Powell, WY in your price range. It is a 'full-service' nice AG centric community quite close to Cody. (College + Hospital) Really nice town.
Lovell is nearby, but not as full service as Powell, supposedly there are some social issues in Lovell (Small town 'buddy' network). I would evaluate all options.

I am really sorry I did not buy one of the (5)? private homes within Tetons back in the 1960's. I was driving a truck route and passed by 3x / week and loved it there.

Most memorable trip (and I have had thousands of excellent trips...)... solo rafting @ daybreak... from Jackson Dam to Jackson Hole / then on to Hoback Jct and on into ID.

Bring a good book for winter...

Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
If the focus is Yellowstone (as opposed to Grand Tetons) then go with Powell. There should be some houses in your price range there (average price in low 200s I am lead to believe). Should be more affordable than Cody but still close for work (probably more tourists enter park via Cody than the other directions) and lots of restaurants.

Your rental budget should be enough... if you can find a place. Supply is probably fairly tight but early to late spring maybe you can find a place. If you find acceptable, jump on it. Maybe not right around the college to avoid noise and perhaps greater crime risk.

Renting the first year makes sense to be sure this is your location, pick the right neighborhood / right house.

If your interest in Yellowstone is less than want to visit a lot, then Idaho Falls or towns outside of it could be good. Don't go with a remote spot unless you really want it, hopefully have experience with it and ok with ALL the things associated with it (driving to shopping, medical, etc.).

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-16-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Powell would work for your requirements and it's not all that much further from YNP than Cody.

Many houses in Powell on the market right now well within your budget.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Thank you eveybody!!

I'll be researching all those places!
Yeah, we could probably bump up purchase price a bit, just would want to save for a bigger down payment. Like I say, it was a bit of a quick guess.

So okay weather. I'm born and raised in (the place that shall not be mentioned) and my husband is originally from England and moved here 20 years ago He a citizen now, and beyond happy to be one.
He's grew up with rain rain rain and a bit of snow. I on the other hand grew up putting on a coat when it dipped below 70 degrees. That changed when I spent a little time in England and fell in love with cold blustery weather. I dunno maybe it was the falling in love with my hubby part that did it.

As far as actually living in the snow, we did live in the small town of Crestline in the San Bernardino mountains from 2001 to 2004 and loved it!. (Our friends thought we were nuts!) The winters were relatively short but the alpine terrain often made things interesting. We had 39 steps to climb to get to our front door. Salt helped. We also commuted every day up and down the mountain to our jobs in Anahein that took an hour plus each way. To get in and out of town during winter we had these spider spike things on our car instead of chains which worked great! Truth be told, it was the fog at certain times of the year that was scarier! Eventually you start knowing every turn of the road by looking at the odometer! Just nutz!

Nevertheless, we still consider ourselves very much novices concerning snow as our experience wasn't extensive or extreme. By working from home, I imagine it would ease the stress of a commute.... I suppose we might struggle with very deep snow? The kind that collapses roofs on a regular basis?
Reminds me of stories about my grandpa's house up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that had an escape door on the second floor!

Anyway thanks again for all the suggestions... the other alternative to settling down in a place we have a strong feeling we'd love (ya never know for sure till you actually do it) is to go nomad, which is something my hubs is also pitching. He's been doing a ton of research on Verizon hot spot devices etc. But he'd still need to sell it to the boss. I love the idea of living on the road too, but the idea feels a little overwhelming.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Given your criteria, I suggest that you investigate Gardiner, Montana. It should definitely satisfy your dining requirements.

Gardiner, Montana - Yellowstone's Only Year Round Entrance

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming