Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:29 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to Cody, Powell, Sheridan, or Worland in the next two years or so. I like the northwest part of Wyoming and especially the Bighorn Basin. I have been in all four of these towns so I am familiar with the size and locations, as well as stores and services. I have also been living in Wyoming for the last four years so am familiar with the state in general as far as politics and things like that. I will define what I mean by which town is best:

1) Which one of these towns has the lowest cost of living? I would likely rent at first but would want to buy eventually. I would prefer living in town so am not worried about buying land.

2) Which one of these towns has the friendliest people? By that I mean are they welcoming of outsiders? (I'm from Montana originally). Are they reasonably open-minded? (I know Wyoming is conservative but are they so close minded they are living in the past?) Do people here generally have good manners?

3) What are the school systems like? I am a teacher so am curious what it is like to work for them. I am single now but if I do have a family, are they good schools for kids? What are the students like in general? I am interested in points of view from former students, parents, and current and former staff and faculty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:35 PM

258 posts, read 999,884 times
Well, obviously,"best" is in the eye of the beholder. But based on your stated points, I'd think Powell will work well for you. Real down to earth people in a small, but "real" town. They have a college there so you'll get a little more diverse population. Real estate prices are pretty reasonable compared to Cody, which is just 'down the road'. I lived in Cody for 4 years and loved it but if I went back I'd probably take a serious look at Powell, too. Yes, they're plenty friendly!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:03 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Thanks for answering this question for me. I like the fact that you mentioned the people were real as part of being friendly. I can't stand pretentious towns.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:16 PM

304 posts, read 904,338 times
Cody has nice amenities, outdoor rec, shopping, dining, decent schools, museums, rec center, regional medical hospital, more wind. Powell has the college, a bit cheaper housing - not much and closer knit I think. Worland has a farming community with more minorities than the others - which is great! Worland is more isolated - 90 minutes from walmarts/kmarts, etc. I enjoyed working for the school district in Worland - great group! Worland gets pretty cold in winter and pretty hot in summer. Don't know much about Sheridan, but like the looks of the area. I've lived in Cody and Worland, like Cody better because of the more "urban" feel...liked Worland summers better and people too. I'd pick Cody, Sheridan, Powell and then Worland. I don't care for Cody during the tourist season though, it stinks.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:01 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
Cody has nice amenities, outdoor rec, shopping, dining, decent schools, museums, rec center, regional medical hospital, more wind. Powell has the college, a bit cheaper housing - not much and closer knit I think. Worland has a farming community with more minorities than the others - which is great! Worland is more isolated - 90 minutes from walmarts/kmarts, etc. I enjoyed working for the school district in Worland - great group! Worland gets pretty cold in winter and pretty hot in summer. Don't know much about Sheridan, but like the looks of the area. I've lived in Cody and Worland, like Cody better because of the more "urban" feel...liked Worland summers better and people too. I'd pick Cody, Sheridan, Powell and then Worland. I don't care for Cody during the tourist season though, it stinks.
I'm so mad! I just typed a really long reply and accidentally deleted it as I was posting!!! Time to start over.....I agree with Darrow 100% on the order in which I prefer the towns you mentioned. I like Cody and Sheridan due to the mountainous feel and proximity to the mountains, water, etc., even though they are a bit more costly as far as living goes. Sheridan would be the most expensive for real estate or rent. I prefer it there to the flat farmland of Worland and Powell, even though I really like the people in those communities, where there is that "hometown" feel. That's not saying that Sheridan and Cody don't feel hometown, but they get more tourists, etc. The older I get the more I appreciate having the closer amenities as well. Worland & Powell both seem so dusty, dry and hot during the summer. I grew up just north of Worland in the Manderson/Basin area and loved my childhood there, but don't think I'd move back to that area of the Big Horn Basin. This is just my opinion. It sounds like Darrow and I think a lot alike!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:40 PM

304 posts, read 904,338 times
Well Georgia, I've often thought we shared a lot of similarities when I read your other posts, must be our close hometowns and upbringings.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I can comment on Worland and Sheridan. Worland I've visited many times and enjoyed going there. Like previously mentioned, it's an agricultural area. Not much as far as shopping if that's your thing. I mean, grocery's, clothes and such are there, but not a lot of variety if you wanted something other then the necessities.

I like Sheridan. I always thought the folks around here were pretty regular. I first went to Sheridan in the early 70's. When I got out of the service in 92, I headed for Sheridan and never regretted it. I lived there until last year when I moved out closer to the mountain in a little cabin. I'm retired now and wanted to be closer to fishing and the mountains.

As Geogia mentioned, Sheridan can be rather expensive. But there are still places to be had for somewhat reasonable prices. My daughter picked up a house that is 5 br, 2 bath. 2 br and one bath upstairs, 3 br and a bath in the basement. Detached garage. They paid $140k. It's an older house but didn't need any work at all.

I actually live close to Ranchester which is a little town of 700 people and it's about 15 miles from Sheridan. Prices out here are a lot better then in Sheridan. Rent is reasonable also. Of course, I shop in Sheridan. We have a grocery store, but it's more of a convieniencce store with higher prices. So I run into Wal-Mart.

I like Sheridan because of it's close proximity to the Big Horn Mountains. The people are very friendly and real. Fishing and hunting is outstanding in this area. Because of the Big Horns, most storms hit the mountains and roll over and come down out East of town. If Clairmont gets 10 inches of snow, chances are Sheridan will get about 2. Very little wind in the Sheridan area.

Sheridan is just big enough (15,804) that there is a Super Wal-Mart, Albertson's, Safeway and Warehouse Market. We also have a Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and hundreds of mom and pop locally owned stores. You can find just about anything you need.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 AM

258 posts, read 560,327 times
I've lived in both Cody and Powell for about 13 years combined, and I would have to say I agree with ElkHunter. Dayton/Ranchester area is much nicer and the weather is much harsher in Worland, windy in Cody and Powell and colder in the winter/hotter in the summer. But, if you have to live in Sheridan vs a nearby community like Ranchester, etc. then I would actually pick Powell.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Mark my vote for Powell as well (community centric). Nice people, park, college, and COMMUNITY 'Co-op' owned mercantile. (I hope 'The Merc' continues to be in good health, as it is a nice story of a community pulling together.)

Sheridan would be a second choice due to higher housing costs, and probably less 'homey' feel. (larger, more transient population), But Sheridan has lots more services and better accessibility.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Years ago (1950's) I visited my great aunt in Powell. I really didn't stay more than a couple days, but I liked the place. I will be visiting Powell within the next month. I will report my feelings after I return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming