U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,401 times

Advertisements

Hi from Tx! So someone in my husbands company is trying to get him to relocate up there. He would be working in Opal so we can not be farther than 70 miles from that location. We of course are going to be making a couple of trips up there to get a feel if it’s something we think we would like. We are outdoorsy people, camping, hiking, biking, kayaking etc... I’ve researched Pinedale and really like it from my research but looks to be a little more of a commute then he would like. Someone mentioned green river or rock springs as an option. Can anyone give some insight to either of those places and what is like to live there or some other towns in between that would be nice for a family of 4 w/ 2 young teenagers. Safety, decent school, outdoorsy, scenic, with some sort of town so we don’t feel isolated. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 05:23 PM

11,518 posts, read 50,674,385 times
may I suggest that many of your questions have repeatedly been asked/answered at great length on this forum already.

if you could kindly take a few moments to research these topics on C-D, I think you'll have a much better "feel" for what awaits here in Wyoming.

Your plan to make a few trips up this way is essential, I think. Do come up during Jan/Feb, not just in the summer months, to get a feel for what presents at that time. Visit with an eye towards residency rather than as a 'tourist", so you'll be checking out activities, shopping, medical, restaurants, entertainment, etc. You may find that much of the activity of these towns shuts down during the winter months, some of which may be a critical aspect of your quality of life here.

IMO, Pinedale presents some of Wyoming's nicest outdoor recreation opportunities in season around the region. But taking on the commute in the winter could be a real deal-killer for your husband.

Do pay attention in your search for the cost of housing that meets your expectations and requirements. You may find that it's significantly more expensive here than down in TX along with a higher cost-of-living.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
may I suggest that many of your questions have repeatedly been asked/answered at great length on this forum already.

if you could kindly take a few moments to research these topics on C-D, I think you'll have a much better "feel" for what awaits here in Wyoming.

Your plan to make a few trips up this way is essential, I think. Do come up during Jan/Feb, not just in the summer months, to get a feel for what presents at that time. Visit with an eye towards residency rather than as a 'tourist", so you'll be checking out activities, shopping, medical, restaurants, entertainment, etc. You may find that much of the activity of these towns shuts down during the winter months, some of which may be a critical aspect of your quality of life here.

IMO, Pinedale presents some of Wyoming's nicest outdoor recreation opportunities in season around the region. But taking on the commute in the winter could be a real deal-killer for your husband.

Do pay attention in your search for the cost of housing that meets your expectations and requirements. You may find that it's significantly more expensive here than down in TX along with a higher cost-of-living.

-Yes thank you. After posting I figured out how to navigate around this site and found out all the info I was needing. Newbie here.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,747,580 times
Kemmerer is in there too , good fishing and deer hunting

Old 05-10-2019, 06:31 PM

732 posts, read 1,570,993 times
Making teenagers start over in any of those towns is not something I would do unless absolutely necessary.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 PM

504 posts, read 569,275 times
Kemmerer-as Jody mentioned-is closest to Opal. If you are at Opal Hub (ie. Williams, Enterprise, or Kinder Morgan)
or if at Robersen Creek (same outfits plus Kern River and Dominion) it is by far the shortest drive from Kemmerer.
Pinedale is a ways. The other towns-Green River, Bridger Valley (Lyman and Mountain View), Evanston, or Big Piney
are all about a sixty mile drive, although commute from Green River to Shute Creek (ExxonMobil, not technically Opal)
is shorter via the Labarge highway and Shute Ck road. Working rotational or driving every day makes a difference.

In winter I-80 can close even between Evanston and Green River, although usually it closes between Wamsutter and
Cheyenne. From Green River you can still get to Opal if 80 closes, but have to go Labarge hwy to Shute Creek rd and
around down to Opal. From Bridger Valley take Carter cutoff rd to Kemmerer then hwy over to Opal but still a ways.

I think of Kemmerer as kind of wintry, but doesn't get as much snow as Evanston. Hwy between Kemmerer and Opal
usually not an issue. I'm on that road a lot, and can't remember any adventure. 2 wks ago to Robersen Creek, a nice
moose right in the ranch pasture. Kemmerer and Diamondville have just over 3k people, so smaller than Green River. County seat. Friendly town with good support of high school. Many people there work at Opal or power plant and mine. Not far from Logan, Utah or in summer scenic hwy to Ogden, Utah via Huntsville (that one closed in winter). Kemmerer
is where the JC Penney Company started.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:05 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,120,453 times
Pinedale and up in that general area is one of the coldest spots in the lower 48 in the winter... not that whole area in general is all that warm!

Old 05-11-2019, 10:56 AM

9,523 posts, read 12,330,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Pinedale and up in that general area is one of the coldest spots in the lower 48 in the winter... not that whole area in general is all that warm!
Isn't Big Piney the Icebox of the Nation?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:30 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,120,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Isn't Big Piney the Icebox of the Nation?
I've heard that expression.... petty much most of Sublette County seems to qualify for that! Elevation is high overall; Pinedale is at around 7100'. Jan average low temp is -1F and that is almost 11 degrees colder than the overall WY January average low temp. Kemmerer is about 7 degrees warmer on average in winter. It might not be any reason to make a decision on way or the other, but it it may be worth knowing.

The whole area gets lots of sunny days. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Oddly enough.... Dubois, across the Wind River mtns to the north of Pinedale, is only 250' lower than the elevation of Pinedale but the average January average low temp is 10 degrees higher.....??? Standard adiabatic temp change with elevation would make it only 1 degree warmer. So local geography and winds must play a role in this when you get into the high Rockies. For example, in Stanley ID, in Jan on a still day, we have observed 15F warmer temps climbing 300' elevation from the valley floor. So some cold air 'pooling' must occur in some localities.

Last edited by Yac; 05-14-2019 at 04:37 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 08:27 PM

6,754 posts, read 7,134,925 times
Big Piney gets 70 daily (nightly) lows of below zero per year on average. Pinedale, 57. Over 30 is pretty rare.

Pinedale with 29 days this year below -10. -27 was the lowest but there were at least a handful of other days also below -20. Has reached about -50 in both places in past.

It freezes at night 263 days per year in Pinedale. If that matters to you. 77 days per year it never gets above 32.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-12-2019 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming