U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2020, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 11,981 times

Advertisements

thinking of moving to wyoming in couple of years after I retire.. can anyone tell me about evanston or some other cities near the mountains that would be good to live in?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 09:29 PM

329 posts, read 313,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshuttle View Post
thinking of moving to wyoming in couple of years after I retire.. can anyone tell me about evanston or some other cities near the mountains that would be good to live in?

Thanks
What would this town need to have for it to be the perfect place for you? If you can list some things that are important to you, maybe we can steer you in the right direction.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:14 AM

9,727 posts, read 20,183,422 times
I don't know much about Evanston. Sorry. But my favorite mountain towns in Wyoming are Buffalo, Lander, Sheridan and Cody, in that order. As I was considering Wyoming as a place to move to (from Anchorage), Lander was the place I mostly considered. Then I discovered it wasn't an option for me so considered Cody. It's a little remote for me, and Gillette had a better offer, so I've now been in Gillette for about 49 years. (I'd planned to stay for 2 to 5 years when I moved here!) LOL

Old 01-07-2020, 05:19 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,119,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshuttle View Post

Thanks
'some other cities near the mountains' is a huge variable, OP. (Jackson Wy is in the mtns but is a whole different galaxy than Evanston!) So tell us what you like/want.

Evanston is essentially high altitude 'scrub' country: pretty dry, arid landscape with hills in the immediate locale. It is a historically railroad town with a little local ag and mining, and I80 running through. you gotta go a few dozen miles to be in any sort of mtns.

Any reason you picked Evanston to ask about?

Last edited by nm9stheham; 01-07-2020 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 06:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 7,132,930 times
Evanston has about 12,000 people in town and about 20,000 total in the county. Is that big enough for you? What is your preferred size range?

About a half hour minimum to get into the national forests.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:51 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,552,086 times
I believe Evanston is about 2/3 LDS. Rock Springs might be a little more mainstream, but I will let others address that. The wind is a frequent topic of discussion.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:23 PM

293 posts, read 535,226 times
Evanston is indeed extremely LDS - it's pretty much Utah with more liquor and fireworks thrown in

"near the mountains" is a bit of a relative term; you have the Uintas about an hour to the south and the Tetons & Wind River range a couple of hours to the north. But Evanston itself isn't particularly scenic, save for a nice state park at the eastern edge of town where the Bear River flows through with buffalo & elk pastures and the occasional moose. As far as Wyoming towns go, it's decent sized.

I don't find the wind particularly bad up there, but I lived in Rawlins previously to Evanston, which isn't exactly a fair comparison. Winters are still pretty brutal, with several days of double digit negatives.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
- it's pretty much Utah with more liquor and fireworks thrown in
Ahah, so ignore the border signs and look for the booze and gunpowder warehouses to know when you are in Wyoming....check! LOL It IS the cowboy state!

Old 01-09-2020, 05:52 PM

1,526 posts, read 981,614 times
If you're looking for mountains nearby, keep driving north from Evanston, until you reach Star Valley, Wyoming. You've got the Salt River Range right there. Mountains surround Star Valley and it's absolutely lovely year round.

Some towns in the Star Valley area to look into are Afton, Star Valley Ranch, and Alpine. Those are the biggest three I think, which are all around 2 thousand people, depending on the time of year. Star Valley Ranch is a great town for retirees, especially if you enjoy golf since it has two golf courses in the town and residents get a discount.

The closer to get to Jackson the pricier it gets the Alpine area being the most expensive town in the valley. Afton is considerably LDS, and less so the more north you get in my experience. Star Valley Ranch is a mix of Faith's because a lot of people are transplants to the town.

Good luck in your quest!

Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 PM

As for mountains in WY, you have a:

- The Absarokas near the Cody area
- The Wind River near Lander and Dubois and Pinedale
- The Tetons near Jackson
- The Wyoming range on the east side of the Star Valley
- The Owls south of Thermopolis
- The Big Horns near Sheridan, Story, Buffalo, Powell, Worling etc.
- The Snowies down near Laramie and Centennial
- The Unitas in CO near Mountain View
- The Laramies SE of Casper
- The Black Hills off the eastern edge of WY

And some more.... so the OP would help us help him if he was a bit more specific about what he is seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming