Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,923,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
I don't blame ya... Do you think we will see gas go to $4.00 in Sheridan?

Our truck gets similar gas mileage and it is geared so low, if you go over 55mph you get in the single digits... boy is it a long drive to Billings, at 55mp lol...
We went in the winter a couple times before Diesel skyrocketed to over $4.00.

One of these years are are going to replace the rear axle(I think it is called) to get better gas mileage.
The president announced today that he wants to release some oil reserves. If he does, that will keep the cost dowm somewhat.

My truck is a 85 and was geared for the national speed limit then. Which was 55. If I'm nice, I can get 20 miles to the gallon. But I have to nice and stay at 55. Like you, go over 55 and it seriously drops. Course, I can't complain, last time I filled it was in June. Still got a half a tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,045,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The president announced today that he wants to release some oil reserves. If he does, that will keep the cost dowm somewhat.

My truck is a 85 and was geared for the national speed limit then. Which was 55. If I'm nice, I can get 20 miles to the gallon. But I have to nice and stay at 55. Like you, go over 55 and it seriously drops. Course, I can't complain, last time I filled it was in June. Still got a half a tank.
Our's is an 83, so that makes sense why it is geared so low then lol

That is great you still have some Diesel left

My husband really liked the idea of the extra tank like you had...

Old 04-29-2008, 04:32 PM

105 posts, read 447,911 times
I do a lot of my mechanicing on the side since that is what I origionally went to school for. If you were to numerically lower your gear ratio it decreases the RPM's in which your motor turns which will gain you fuel mileage in the long depending on what side of your torque curve you are on. This can also be gained by putting on a taller tire. To do so without any knid of lift is the best way to go due to fact you will not increase your height enough to create more drag resistance. Also putting on different intakes and exhausts will make a difference as well. There are also performance adders like chips that will increase your fuel economy due to letting your vehicle run more efficiently. We put a 75gal transfer tank in my buddies dodge cummins on the way to oregon and we was able to go from Evanston to the Oregon Coast and back to I think Ontario Oregon on just that and the fuel he had in his tank to begin with.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,903,452 times
When I was in college, I had a 1989 Chevy Cavalier Z-24. The car was a nice, small car but it got 22-25 mpg. The most I had was 28 mpg. It was geared for lower speed limits and really sucked the oil going faster than 60-65 mpg.

I sold the car and got a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix and it got a little better mileage with normal driving, and was a better highway car (getting around 30 mpg going 75-80 mph on the interestate). The best that I got with the car was 35 mpg, but that was going 65 mph on 2-lane highway. I got 32 to 33 mpg quite a few times, but that was driving to Omaha (driving in the flat part of Iowa) and going 70 mph on the interstate or using premium (which I have not used lately due to it being so much more than the E-10 and regular unleaded fuels these days).

I had an 2004 Grand Prix that was similar to the 1994 Grand Prix for mileage. With my 06 Grand Prix, I get the above mentioned mileage and normally get between 29 to 32 mpg range (if it is not super windy or super cold) going to Des Moines and Omaha on occasional trips and this is going an average of 75 mph. I got 34 mpg once and was tickled pink. I fill the tank consistently and use cruise control as much as I can.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsykoKustomz View Post
I do a lot of my mechanicing on the side since that is what I origionally went to school for. If you were to numerically lower your gear ratio it decreases the RPM's in which your motor turns which will gain you fuel mileage in the long depending on what side of your torque curve you are on. This can also be gained by putting on a taller tire. To do so without any knid of lift is the best way to go due to fact you will not increase your height enough to create more drag resistance. Also putting on different intakes and exhausts will make a difference as well. There are also performance adders like chips that will increase your fuel economy due to letting your vehicle run more efficiently. We put a 75gal transfer tank in my buddies dodge cummins on the way to oregon and we was able to go from Evanston to the Oregon Coast and back to I think Ontario Oregon on just that and the fuel he had in his tank to begin with.
Got 411 gears, but put 35 inch tires on it. 4 wheel drive so changing gears can get costly. The old girl holds 147 gallons of fuel so I can run about 2500 miles if I'm nice to it. I had the factory cram a 3208 Cat under the hood. So yeah, it's kind of full under the hood. Has 310,000 miles and don't burn a drop of oil.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,778,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
My 06 Subaru Outback is getting 29mpg - I can't drive 55!!

Do you really think it is a good idea to release oil reserves now? We have a crisis from a shortage of refineries. IMO, the possible dangers that we could face in the future makes more sense to keep our reserves in case we get cut off from some of our foreign suppliers. China could out buy us in a flash if they decided to do so. It's the increase in the amount of oil China and a few other countries are buying is drving up the price. It would just make more sense to me to build more refineries. The oil boom in North Dakota is going to add plenty of oil but the price of gas is going to stay high because of the refinery issue.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 PM

We got the reserves. If we stopped buying foreign oil, we have anough here to last for decades. We buy foreign oil so we can save ours. But we have enough to put some relief in the problem.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,411,541 times
Am I one of the few that realizes the danger we are in. We have several countries that were not the big users of oil until recently. China and India, and they seem to need a whole lot of oil lately and more in the future. We have been the big users for decade after decade and we did nothing to get people out of their cars and learn to conserve. Nothing. We are learning what it is like to have to change our ways, or I would hope we are learning. Reserves or a federal gas tax holiday are only short term bandaids, we have to help ourselves. People might need to learn they will have to live closer to work or find ways to use the car less, Maybe even learn to use their legs now and then. Metro areas are going to have to learn to build public transit. We won't be able to compete with China indefinitely for our over use of the worlds oil supplies. Gas is only going to go up we are not getting $2.00 gas again.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,903,452 times
There is talk of a refinery being built in southeastern South Dakota near Sioux City, IA and it would be not too far from the proposed Keystone Pipeline project that would bring oil from Canada to refineries in Illinois and Oklahoma for refining (there is potential to add an adjoining pipeline).The refinery would not be next to any towns and will be near an intestate exit and will have a buffer zone around it where there would be no houses and the land would be farmed.

There are a number of people for it, citing reasons of addition of 1600 jobs plus additional jobs from increased economic activity and having better access to refined oil in the Upper Midwest.

Some are against the refinery, because they do not want it there, period, along with concerns about potential health risks, environmental risks, and ruining a rural way of life in the farm areas north of Elk Point.

Personally, I support the refinery for economic reasons and think that it can be built to be one of the cleanest in the country. The newer refineries that may get built in the next few years will have to be cleaner than the prexisting refineries (especially the older ones) due to regulation and public scrutiny. I would like to see alternative energy such as cellulosic ethanol (from grass, wood chips, and corn stalks, for example), wind energy, electric cars, and the like to get futher developed and this will take at least ten years to be able to be commercially viable and sold to the masses. But I forsee that we will need to use oil in the meantime and there will be a need for oil products such as plastics if we rely less on oil. We will still need to use some oil, more so for older vechicles, vechicle lubrication/motor oil, lawn equipment, and machinery if alternative sources replace oil for regular cars, trucks, and SUVs.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,045,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Am I one of the few that realizes the danger we are in. We have several countries that were not the big users of oil until recently. China and India, and they seem to need a whole lot of oil lately and more in the future. We have been the big users for decade after decade and we did nothing to get people out of their cars and learn to conserve. Nothing. We are learning what it is like to have to change our ways, or I would hope we are learning. Reserves or a federal gas tax holiday are only short term bandaids, we have to help ourselves. People might need to learn they will have to live closer to work or find ways to use the car less, Maybe even learn to use their legs now and then. Metro areas are going to have to learn to build public transit. We won't be able to compete with China indefinitely for our over use of the worlds oil supplies. Gas is only going to go up we are not getting $2.00 gas again.
The idea of using your vehicle less make work in other states... but in very rural states such as Montana and Wyoming where towns are easily 100 miles apart and harsh winters... people have no choice but to use their vehicles to get to work... and 4 wheel drive is a necessity in the winter especially, which often uses more fuel. So that is not the answer for all states. The only two cities here that would maybe be considered metro are Cheyenne and Casper... but they are very small in comparison to the big cities of this country.

I am all for more refineries, I think we are long over due of adding more of them. Until one of two things are done, either fixing inflation and the failing weak dollar, or adding more refineries, we are going to continue to see high fuel costs... Ethanol and alternative energy will help make a small dent into the problem, but that is about all in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming