Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:34 PM

12 posts, read 44,697 times

Advertisements

My husband and I had a chance to move to cody 3 years ago. He had a job at the local Ford dealership as a technician. Main reason we didnt move was because of our 3 kids(15,13,and 5). We still want to live there. Does anyone have any thoughts about how our children would adjust there? What are the schools like? Also, anyone have good or bad things to say about the Ford dealership. We considered the Ford dealership in Sheridan also. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 10:47 PM

430 posts, read 1,616,111 times
Oh can I EVER clue you in on that....your younger child may adjust OK but your teenagers??? This is the MOST CLIQUISH town for middle school & high school (and adults in many cases....is a hard town to break into). And I'd think HARD before working for that particular Ford dealership (and his others around the state....). Cody is OK but is really expensive compared to so many other places but everything in life is a trade off. Is beautiful & a lot to do out of town (if you like the outdoors....) but you have to work so much to survive that you don't get a lot of opportunities to enjoy it. And one thing I learned when I was a lot younger - don't EVER move to where you love to vacation because you quit seeing it.

I had 2 kids come into the high school from elsewhere in Wyo & was really an adjustment (their only school change ever) & the ones you DON'T want them to hang out with are of course (like most schools prob'ly) are the first to embrace them. And if ppl think there is NOT a drug prob in Cody - and most of Wyo??? You are SO SADLY mistaken. X, crack & meth are HUGE. Our best friend has been on the Cody PD & now DCI working primarily in drug enforcement for approx 15 yr & is an expert at dismantling meth labs & there are plenty of them - he stays busy just in the northwest quarter of the state. Is a great place to raise your kids if you KNOW what they are doing and WHO they are hanging out with. Don't just assume they are with great kids. We just had a huge pharmacy robbery that included the son of one of the best teachers in the hi school a couple of wks ago. I feel sooo bad for his Dad because he has dedicated his life - summers too - to kids, focusing a lot on "at risk" kids & then his own pretty much grown son (or so we all thought) pulls this stunt with some friends. So, the bad stuff is everywhere. But are many more great things about Wyo to make up for it. Just like anything else - know who & where your kids are hanging out with & what they are doing.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info. A lot to think about!!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:48 PM

Can you tell me anything specific about the dealerships

Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 PM

269 posts, read 826,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybound? View Post
Can you tell me anything specific about the dealerships
Ford dealership is and has been in sheridan for a long time! Technicans in high demand! Beautiful town of 15 + thounsand or so? Surrounded by the glorious bighorn mts! Several smaller towns surround sheridan - all with there own uniqe and wonderfull personalitys-the beauty of this is your kids will love it here in a very short time. By the way all the smaller towns are within a small drive to sheridan for shopping or commuting! Also won't take long to make a bunch of friends-as you have kids-so do most of us. Give us a try! WELCOME TO OUR SMALL TOWN!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 AM

thanks for the information. SHeridan was originally our first pick. Met with the people at the dealership about 4 years ago. My husband had a good feeling about them. Were thinking about the Dayton/Ranchester area to live? Heard the schools were pretty good there? THanks again.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:29 PM

269 posts, read 826,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybound? View Post
thanks for the information. SHeridan was originally our first pick. Met with the people at the dealership about 4 years ago. My husband had a good feeling about them. Were thinking about the Dayton/Ranchester area to live? Heard the schools were pretty good there? THanks again.
Excellant schools-both towns have a lot to offer and can still find a home in a reasonable price-don't know how long this will last-you should be able to check it out on any of our mls sites for our and your satisfacton! Hope to give you and family a big wyo howdy!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM

95 posts, read 260,184 times
Welcome to Wyoming!! All towns have their problems but all have advantages also. Wish you the best. All towns in the state are in need of good technicians. Buffalo can always use some, Take care . Let me know i can help in any way. Housing is in short supply in Sheridan, Buffalo, Gillette

Chad

Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 AM

430 posts, read 1,616,111 times
If you are talking a diesel mechanic there are a lot of opportunities if you dig - my son is one and started with a goon in Kemmerer (the only bad thing about Kemmerer we found) & just walking into the Cummins Dealership (not Fremont - they can't do warranty in Cody) here in Cody to check out the shop cause he was new in his career. That was 5 years ago; he now OWNS (OK...BANK owns) a house here now. I know Fremont is in HIGH need of diesel mechanics - in Cody they don't have one unless they bring one in from elsewhere - at least that was the status of about 6-8 months ago. Tho talk to prev. Fremont mechanics before signing on if you can find any. The owner lives here in Cody area (Wapiti actually).

Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 16,330 times
I HAVE to disagree with the statement that Cody High is cliquish. I moved here my freshman year, and made some of the closest friendships with some of the kindest people I have ever met. There is a drug problem in Cody, but the kids are easily noticeable as "druggies". They're called parkies. They were around when I was in high school and still are according to my niece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming