U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 PM

24 posts, read 68,877 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my first time here and glad that I found this place. We are from upstate New York. I have read quite a few postings and have not seen anything about Sundance. We are thinking of moving to Wy (my husband, 12 year old daughter, and myself).We looked into Sundance. We want somewhere with preferable four seasons, and cold weather so that we can icefish. Snow may also be a plus. My husband currently works for New York State Dept of Trans and plows snow all winter and hopes to maybe find a job doing the same type of thing there. Although it seems there are better paying jobs there than the state offers. So can anyone tell me about Sundance as far as weather, people and rentals available.
Thanks for the help..........Peggy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,276,625 times
sundance is very nice ,in the black hills.it isnt real close to most of the energy jobs though,it has a small population and i doubt a lot of rentals.home prices arent real bad for a scenic area of wyoming. the weather in upstate newyork is more severe then the weather in sundance so you should be ok there.you will likely do major item shopping in rapidcity south dakota,about 70-80 miles east.most of the high paying jobs are in gillette,about 70-80 miles to the west

Old 12-28-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Thank You

Thanks for the info and we are looking to move to the upper area, with snow and cold weather as we LOVE to ice fish. Liked the looks of Buffalo as well.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,276,625 times
buffalo or sheridan might be more to your liking if you are real into ice fishing,being at the base of the bighorn mts.ive seen people icefishing on some of the higher lakes there into july.keyhole resevoir,west of sundance has good ice fishing but the season is much shorter.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:41 PM

8,300 posts, read 22,199,590 times
Very small town, limited services and goods. Scenic, and lots of outdoors to enjoy. Primarily a seasonal tourism based economy.

Lots more snowmobiling than ice fishing in the winter.
Good hunting region in the fall.

Most of the locals go to BelleFourche SD area for shopping and services.

No question, you'll have a very scenic 4-season climate here, with an emphasis on winter and summer.

The government jobs are among the best paying and reliable employment in the area. Housing and land costs have gone far ahead of what average wages can provide; there's a lot of land speculation and development going on up there right now. If you can afford to get in, then it should be an OK value in a few years. Rentals and leases are pretty few.

We're seeing a lot of out of state land investment money coming into the region buying up the larger parcels for development right now.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 AM

17,952 posts, read 22,758,496 times
Default Thinking of Wyoming?

Sundance is not what I would select. Although, Sundance is a very nice area and the people are terrific. There's just no lakes around there to do any ice fishing. there's small ponds and such. Gillette has Keyhole, that just a short ways out of town. Sheridan, Buffalo have lake Desmit. Wonderful lake. I've Ice fished that lake more then once. But there is a small problem. There's underground springs so there's a lot of area's on the lake that the water is turbulent and makes the ice thin. It's a caution. hahahaha But it's fun. I've had a house on the lake several years. Sometimes got to move it. There's also lakes up on top. I say up on top because Sheridan is at about 4000 feet. Drive 20 miles out of town and you'll be at about 12000 feet. There's lakes up there that have excellent trout fishing. Be it summer or winter. You can stand on the bank and catch fish or you can wait til winter, cut a hole, and fish. You'll get fairly good trout. Not real big, only about 18 to 24 inches. I say not real big because I used to live out in Skamainia Washington along the Columbia river and caught 30 inch fish. But I'd trade them any day for a good steel head out of Sealy.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 AM

Talking Thanks so Much!!

Thanks everyone for the great info, I think we have set our hearts on the Buffalo, Sheridan area. That is if we can find a rental there for the time being when we come for out visit in July. Hopefully all goes well and we can get moved out there this fall and not wait till spring like my husband wants. I don't know about out there, but we have had no winter here at all. It was 56 degrees here on New Year's. No ice and that really sucks. Can't wait to even catch a minnow through the ice ha ha ha. Thanks again..........Peggy

Old 01-09-2007, 04:34 PM

43 posts, read 92,288 times
I moved to Sundance last spring and I love it!
However, as others have said, for ice fishing it is not really the place to be, so if your heart is set on that you should consider other spots.
I like it a lot because it is a beautiful small town yet situated on I-90 between Gillette and Rapid City so there's easy access to more amenities when needed.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:52 AM

26 posts, read 79,266 times
My husband and I currently live in Arizona and are moving to Buffalo in 3 weeks. We already have jobs and just sold our house. We have taken 3 vacations to Buffalo and just love the area. There is ALOT of outdoors to explore. I know you will love the Bufffalo or Sheridan area.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 PM

17,952 posts, read 22,758,496 times
Default azwyo

Don't do it. Do not move to Buffalo. You will spend the rest of your life regretting having a wonderful view of the mountains. Wonderful neighbors. Wonderful shopping. Give me a call, I'll take you fishing. But you will regret it, you'll have trouble having fun. You'll get up and it will spill all over you.

I'm sorry that you made that choice, now you are doomed with having fun.

Enjoy Buffalo. You will love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming