Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,442 times

Advertisements

The housing problem with prices is mostly due to what creates price changes - supply & demand. When there is a boom, prices go up because there are not enough. But booms here are generally temporary. In the 1980's had a big boom & ppl were paying a fortune for homes because they could and then the bottom dropped out in the 1990's & homes bought 3-4 years before for $100,000 were being let go for $30,000 because Casper was in a bust. MANY western states - like ND, MT, WY, ID etc. are that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
I'm going to keep this short and sweet - DON'T let what's happened here in CO happen to WY. DON'T CALIFORNICATE WYOMING!!
I wouldn't wish what's happened here upon anyone...

Old 05-14-2008, 12:29 AM

33 posts, read 123,056 times
I think we all agree on one main thing. We dont want wyoming to become like Ca has. I love San Diego during the winter(because the jerks stay inside crying about how they are going to get wet). But, it is a miserable place during the summer (the people go crazy in the heat and start shooting each other). We have found happyness in spending our summers in wyoming. I have no desire to change wyoming. We love the open praries and the wind rocking me and the kids to sleep in our car (we cant afford to build a house yet). Our nieghbors in Wy are the best nieghbors I have ever had. The only problems that I have really had in wyoming is the locals in the towns labeling us as californians. The 2 main times that really stick in my mind is: when we went to laramie to buy grass seed for our place and the guy tried to charge us $5 more per bag because we were Californians. The other time was just this past summer. We went to the McDonalds in casper. They took to toilet paper out of the bathroom as soon as they saw our lic plate. They would not even give my little girl toilet paper they had on thier cart. Then they wouldnt let the kids play on the playground. They only open up the playground for the WY kids. That is why I have problems with this Ca labeling. We have been a military family for generations. That is why we have lived in CA for so long. I have seen San Diego go from a farming town to a city that we have to live outside of just so we can have a few livestock Till now when the military is getting rid of the last of the stables. I do not wish this to happen to anybody. I see it happening to wyoming right now. Its happening quick. I am going to hate the day when these people who are germaphobs and dont believe in hard work take over WY. I never found a way to stop them. I hope WY does.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 PM

347 posts, read 1,281,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little pony View Post
I think we all agree on one main thing. We dont want wyoming to become like Ca has. I love San Diego during the winter(because the jerks stay inside crying about how they are going to get wet). But, it is a miserable place during the summer (the people go crazy in the heat and start shooting each other). We have found happyness in spending our summers in wyoming. I have no desire to change wyoming. We love the open praries and the wind rocking me and the kids to sleep in our car (we cant afford to build a house yet). Our nieghbors in Wy are the best nieghbors I have ever had. The only problems that I have really had in wyoming is the locals in the towns labeling us as californians. The 2 main times that really stick in my mind is: when we went to laramie to buy grass seed for our place and the guy tried to charge us $5 more per bag because we were Californians. The other time was just this past summer. We went to the McDonalds in casper. They took to toilet paper out of the bathroom as soon as they saw our lic plate. They would not even give my little girl toilet paper they had on thier cart. Then they wouldnt let the kids play on the playground. They only open up the playground for the WY kids. That is why I have problems with this Ca labeling. We have been a military family for generations. That is why we have lived in CA for so long. I have seen San Diego go from a farming town to a city that we have to live outside of just so we can have a few livestock Till now when the military is getting rid of the last of the stables. I do not wish this to happen to anybody. I see it happening to wyoming right now. Its happening quick. I am going to hate the day when these people who are germaphobs and dont believe in hard work take over WY. I never found a way to stop them. I hope WY does.
LP....good post. well said.

I drove across the country and moved to So. California 15 years ago just for the adventure of it. As I've gotten older, CA has become not so attractive. I hate the crowds, driving, housing prices, etc. I'm planning my exit strategy out of this place.

Anyhow, last year I purchased a home in Cheyenne with plans of moving there someday. When dealing with the city employees, contractors, neighbors, handymen......I'm described as "The guy from California". It does get annoying being labeled. After awhile, they get to know that I'm just a regular guy not trying to "change" things. Heck, I'm trying to get away from the CA way of life.....not bring it into WY.

I tell people I "live" in CA....I'm not "from" CA

But, during my visits everyone in WY has been very frendly to me so far. It just takes a little explanation to people what I'm there for: Fishing, peace and quiet, no traffic, clear skies, etc.

I prefer to think I'm from the USA than a particular state.

Mandk

Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
I prefer to think I'm from the USA than a particular state.

Mandk
That is a great way to put it... I think we all deserve to be judged by our individuality rather than a "label"...

To those that come here to blend in because they value Wyoming for what it is, I say welcome, that is why we are here... and don't ever intend to change it. It is fine just the way it is...

I like to get to know a person first... Because I know what it is like to be born into a state I wish I had nothing to do with... my husband on the other hand loves the state he came from...

But there are aspects here of the "people" that remind him of back home...

Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 PM

33 posts, read 123,056 times
Very well said mandk and Kristynwy. We are Americans!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
This kind of dialog happens on the Denver/Colorado forums as well. Probably a little more, because in my 28 yrs in Colorado, growth is almost always an issue. I agree, we are all Americans. We all have freedom of movement in this country. So what if a Calilfornian once in a while makes a positive comment about CA? Saying something good about Cali isn't the same as saying something bad about CO or WYO. Saying "I miss (fill in the blank)" is just normal when you move. And we can all learn from each other.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This kind of dialog happens on the Denver/Colorado forums as well. Probably a little more, because in my 28 yrs in Colorado, growth is almost always an issue. I agree, we are all Americans. We all have freedom of movement in this country. So what if a Calilfornian once in a while makes a positive comment about CA? Saying something good about Cali isn't the same as saying something bad about CO or WYO. Saying "I miss (fill in the blank)" is just normal when you move. And we can all learn from each other.
It's okay to miss something about where you used to live, but it's not okay to try to bring that same thing to an area that doesn't have or want it. When I left the L.A. area to move to where I now live, I left behind some things like major grocery stores and department stores. I sometimes miss having those things nearby, but don't really want them in my neighborhood. Most of my neighbors don't want them either. We like our small community where the stores are owned and operated by people in the community. We don't want people to move here (like I did long ago), if they are going to try to get those things brought into our community, just to make this like the place they left behind.

A recent issue here has been paving of our dirt roads. Many of the people that are here moved here because of the simple life, including dirt roads. We now have newcomers to the community that want to pave them in order to make it like the place they left behind. Lots of people in the community don't want the roads paved. When these newcomers moved in, they knew the roads were dirt. If they want them paved, they should cough up the money to pave them, but they want the County or the State to pay for it. This is one example of the things they are trying to change, even though it will affect all of us in the end, in the form of taxes or assessments.

I see the same type of issues in Wyoming. People move there because of the wide open spaces and clean air, then complain that there is no mass transit, major airport, Best Buy, Home Depot, or Walmart nearby. And to think, so many of the roads are dirt! Oh my! Someone should do something about that. Not! It's fine just the way it is. Don't change things just because that's what people had somewhere else. If those things were so good there, that's where they should be.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:59 PM

430 posts, read 1,622,442 times
JDAVID - I could NOT have said it better myself!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I have tried to say. If you liked things where you were, find somewhere that HAS those places!!!! There are compromise places but the ppl of most states have created the state they want with the laws & lifestyle they want. Yes - we are all Americans but we are all of a state that we may or may not be proud of. I am proud of Wyoming the way it is. The one thing that ppl from cities bring with them, which is really unfortunately & affects our kids rather sig'ly is the "punk / gangsta'" attitude. They make the kids (esp. in the middle schools) feel like hicks & idiots & good kids turn bad to be accepted by the new kid. THAT I have a serious prob with. And that is not just my imagination, senility or assumptions talking. It is a real prob that the schools are dealing with & I hate that it is spreading here.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
Most of the people leaving CA are from the BIG CITIES. Like Los Angeles or San Francisco. We don't all share their ideals and attitudes. California is a big state. The truth is it has more cowboys than Wyoming, that's a fact. We're not all the same out here. When you say."California, go home". You should be saying, "L.A., go home!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming