Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:07 PM

252 posts, read 258,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
People are still calling COVID the China virus?
My bad. China/liberal democrat virus is more fitting. Thanks for correcting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:38 PM

729 posts, read 531,719 times
COVID19 is a name made up by the WHO to deflect attention away from China. It has no scientific basis for the naming.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:13 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Sheridan has sort of turned the corner on being expensive, Gillette has not, which has its advantages.
I was afraid you were going to say that Sheridan is expensive as it has gone up as well as Cody.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:12 PM

507 posts, read 661,381 times
Most tangible aspects of living somewhere including your cost of living, can't be determined by internet gazetteer, however, Sheridan, by the state economic stats, is more expensive than Cody. The stats aren't kept by specific town, but by county, and Sheridan County in the latest release (which is 4th Q of 2020) has a COL index of 99 while Park County (Cody) has a 97. Looking at house rental averages alone, Sheridan County is at $1,211 average while Park County is at $965. Entire report can be found here:

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/wcli/NewsRelease-4Q20.pdf

Sheridan has, like Cody, become one of what I refer to as Wyoming's "Established Trendy" places to live,

Old 08-04-2021, 10:07 PM

For complete edification and perusal, this is my current list:

Established Trendy Cosmic Hot Spots-
1. Jackson Hole (incl. Jackson, Kelly, Wilson, and Teton Village but no so much Alta) Has long been our established trendy.
2. Cody (incl. South Fork, Wapiti, but not Ralston! It's still safe.) Was awhile developing, but now 11 is half as bad as 22.
3. Sheridan (Big Horn always trendy, Polo...ya know) Went downhill after being named the best "western" town in the US.

Up and Coming Trendy Hot Spots-
1. Star Valley (even Smoot has been discovered) Overflow from Jackson Hole. Now they are getting poodle ranches, too.
2. Pinedale (incl. Cora-where the trophy shacks are going up) Same thing, unfortunate overflow from Jackson Hole.
3. Lander (Don't ask me why) For some reason, it's been on the Wyomie-wanna-be map a while now. Could be NOLS.
4. Buffalo (Looked like it was done for.....but actually interest seems to be fading somewhat, so there is hope.)

Sort of Past It Trendy Spots-
1. Saratoga (Old money flying in for dude ranches) Even with the chance to soak in the crock pot, has fallen off the map.
2. Ten Sleep (Worland's OK) Was gonna get the New Yorker's, but seems even the rock climbing crowd went elsewhere.
3. Dubois (Old money and dude ranches) Well, The Dube is still sort of trendy, but just too many Republicans, I guess.
4. Laramie (The college town) It's got more "Granolas" these days, but really what is there other than a Pokes game?
5. Thermopolis (another crock pot) I know Wyomies who say this town is a tourist trap. I'm like really, in what universe?

I was hosting some Germans a while back and we stayed in Cody. Apparently they had (like all good Germans) gone out downtown for some beers. Next morning, they were very excitedly talking in German so I asked what's up. Turns out, they had gone down to the Irma, and an old-fashioned cowboy style fight had broken out, with chairs flying and windows busted, etc. So I said maybe Cody isn't completely lost after all.

Recommendations for Wyomie-wanna-be's: 1. Wamsutter. 2. Hanna. 3. Albin. 4. Kirby. Get in before they go trendy. Oh, almost forgot Lysite.

Last edited by Wyoprairie; 08-04-2021 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 08:17 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,032 times
LOL... I like your descriptors, Wyoprairie. And the fight story.... how uncouth!

OBTW, the phrase is 'Upscale & Trendy' LOLx2

Old 08-05-2021, 01:07 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,348,901 times
Well...I guess then, that leaves only Garland, Deaver & Frannie to consider ?

Normally I'd throw in Parkman for good-measure, but that can (potentially) be a semi-dangerous place for a (sober) white-man to live, from time-to-time...especially if he's a cowboy or modern-day saddle-tramp ?

Old 08-05-2021, 02:10 PM

Yessir....fine selections. If ya don't like snow, Frannie and Deaver are the places to go.

Although I'm sure they've got it sorted out, a potential benefit of Frannie could be that the county line runs right thru the center of town. So if your misdeeds have caught up with ya, you can stand on the other side of the highway and talk back to the authorities:

"Well sheriff Steward, a'hm in Big Horn County now as you can see...so you got no jurisdiction. Best you'n your boys ride on back to Cody" Also if the property taxes in Park are getting too high, just roll that mobile home across the highway.

I could live happily in every town mentioned and they all have some good qualities, even the trendy ones, although Jackson would be a stretch. I actually have a long relational connection to the top trendy spot, but if told to move there, it must be one of those snazzy places. As a ranch raised kid, I am not living in a stack-a-shack. I could have a good time there as every day I would be plotting new fun ways to drive the lefty loonies to distraction.

Not poking fun at the towns, I'm poking fun at the trendy move-ins who only think certain places are suitable in Wyoming, and the rest is a big hick armpit that they are gonna somehow avoid. As I've asserted previously, the most Wyomish place in the whole state is Kaycee, and haven't ever seen anyone on here ask about moving there.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:13 PM

252 posts, read 258,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
As I've asserted previously, the most Wyomish place in the whole state is Kaycee, and haven't ever seen anyone on here ask about moving there.
Oh but someone did earlier this yr or late last, much to my amazement!

For myself, Big Whiskey, Wy or bust!

Old 08-05-2021, 04:52 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,284,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Yessir....fine selections. If ya don't like snow, Frannie and Deaver are the places to go.

Although I'm sure they've got it sorted out, a potential benefit of Frannie could be that the county line runs right thru the center of town. So if your misdeeds have caught up with ya, you can stand on the other side of the highway and talk back to the authorities:

"Well sheriff Steward, a'hm in Big Horn County now as you can see...so you got no jurisdiction. Best you'n your boys ride on back to Cody" Also if the property taxes in Park are getting too high, just roll that mobile home across the highway.

I could live happily in every town mentioned and they all have some good qualities, even the trendy ones, although Jackson would be a stretch. I actually have a long relational connection to the top trendy spot, but if told to move there, it must be one of those snazzy places. As a ranch raised kid, I am not living in a stack-a-shack. I could have a good time there as every day I would be plotting new fun ways to drive the lefty loonies to distraction.

Not poking fun at the towns, I'm poking fun at the trendy move-ins who only think certain places are suitable in Wyoming, and the rest is a big hick armpit that they are gonna somehow avoid. As I've asserted previously, the most Wyomish place in the whole state is Kaycee, and haven't ever seen anyone on here ask about moving there.
Freedom Wyoming , Freedom Idaho, State line runs down the middle of the road and you also have two Idaho counties on that side. But it was settle by Polygamists' that have a house and wife in each state, and a quick getaway from County Sheriffs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming