Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 02:18 PM

41 posts, read 34,495 times

Advertisements

Currently we live in Oklahoma and the cost of living is reasonable but we'd like to move to either South Dakota or Wyoming and buy a home-just to get away from the mundane day-to-day things. Both my wife and I are retired. We'd need a medical facility and like a recently built home.
We were looking toward Sheridan but there are few homes for sale so looked toward Douglas, Buffalo, Gurnsey, Rock Springs and Green River.
We are headed to Wyoming next week so would appreciate anything that would aid us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 02:31 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times
The level 2 trauma centers are in Casper and Cheyenne. Cheyenne and Laramie are close enough to Fort Collins to use medical facilities there for planned procedures (might be too far for emergencies, especially when it's snowing). On the north side of the state Billings would be your destination for a larger hospital.

Lots of home building in Cheyenne. Laramie has active building going on, but not to the scale of Cheyenne. I can't speak to other towns.

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:50 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Gillette has a lot of people, houses. Medical for a good chunk of people. Some fairly young houses, probably some brand new.

Douglas, Buffalo and Guernsey have attractions (mountains and water) but probably not that many newish houses on the market. Look deep & hard, be ready to move after very careful study. See other threads on forum about buyer beware in Wyoming.

Green River / Rock Springs won't appeal to many. They are high income mining / drilling based economies. So even though they aren't tourist town fancy / expensive, they aren't that cheap.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiedorite View Post
.. we'd like to move to either South Dakota or Wyoming and buy a home-just to get away from the mundane day-to-day things. Both my wife and I are retired. We'd need a medical facility and like a recently built home.
We were looking toward Sheridan but there are few homes for sale so looked toward Douglas, Buffalo, Gurnsey, Rock Springs and Green River.
We are headed to Wyoming next week so would appreciate anything that would aid us.
1) Is this a FT home, or a 2nd home?

2) Do you qualify for VA medical care? (That will be significant to your location)

Look at the area around Spearfish / Sturgis as a potential SD destination. (medical, airport, PX, metro within 1 hr)

Depends on what you want for recreation and access, as to any location / state.

Hints would be VERY helpful!
WY is good for true and extensive outdoors, as in hunting and fishing and exploring.... vs. an occasional stroll in the park. Both SD and WY can be plenty chilly, and plenty hot! (and windy, of course)

GR and Rock Springs / Evanston / Rawlins.... I would not even consider (Personal taste... BTDT)

My primary options;
Sheridan / Buffalo
Powell / Cody

or Spearfish / Sturgis
Newcastle / Custer

For a retirement home;
I want some available medical care, a college and an airport within an hour, (and a decent sized city)

Old 07-21-2021, 04:51 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Casper.. Rapid City...

Old 07-21-2021, 06:45 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Can you indicate a rough price range of such a house OP?

DO you want to be more out in the open plains or in or near to mountains?

I'd plan on visiting all the areas you mentioned.... you're going to see a variety of country and something may appeal to you... or not.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:45 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,104,544 times
Where in Wyoming are you visiting, and for how long? Will you drive over to SD during this trip?

My two-cents. Spearfish to Rapid City are nice areas with all services covered within a reasonable drive. Gillette and Sheridan WY are very nice, but a bit of island cities, in that there isn't much outside of each town, and a bit of a drive to Casper for a bigger city.

I'd stay away from the I80 cities of Rawlins, Rock Springs to Evanston. They are too dry, isolated, and void of what I find beautiful. They could be a good fit in some situations

Old 07-24-2021, 06:06 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Where in Wyoming are you visiting, and for how long? Will you drive over to SD during this trip?

My two-cents. Spearfish to Rapid City are nice areas with all services covered within a reasonable drive. Gillette and Sheridan WY are very nice, but a bit of island cities, in that there isn't much outside of each town, and a bit of a drive to Casper for a bigger city.

I'd stay away from the I80 cities of Rawlins, Rock Springs to Evanston. They are too dry, isolated, and void of what I find beautiful. They could be a good fit in some situations
What is wrong with the I80 cities of Rawlins, Rock Springs to Evanston

Old 07-24-2021, 06:33 AM

400 posts, read 452,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
They are too dry, isolated, and void of what I find beautiful.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:43 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
They are kindve different looking towns and windy, transient oilfield communities but TBH Rock Springs has improved over the past few years. They really fixed up the downtown area. Several new stores and some new housing developments. Very nice rec center, community college and library. If I was retired I think I could tolerate Evanston for proximity to SLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming