U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2008, 01:11 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,008,607 times
One thing you do want to keep in mind is that on I-80 between Salt Lake City and the Wyoming State line, there is a pretty good climb heading up to Park City. I've only driven that stretch once, so I don't remember how bad the road was, but I believe that it was fairly straight compared to I-70. The only other section that I would consider to be mountainous is the stretch from Laramie to Cheyenne, but it's also pretty mild compared to I-70.

For the sheer beauty of the drive, I would recommend I-70. For ease of driving, I would recommend I-80, since it's much flatter and straighter than I-70.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 03:29 PM

723 posts, read 1,647,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
You ARE joking, right???? I can't remember anything of interest there - or are there some cool rock formations there. I do love the rock formations.

Best part of I-70 over I-80 is that you have oftentimes 3-4 lanes of traffic each way to avoid the semis. You never have more than a total of 4-lanes (2 each way). So if is windy the semi traffic can be somewhat dangerous depending upon what you are driving as they can suck you towards them so much and shoot you out when you break that wind they have at their nose. In the wind, that can really be wicked. Take plenty of water with you BECAUSE the towns are quite far apart...
Of course I was joking! I used to exit near there and take the shortcut via Baggs into CO. Accidentally peed on a bull snake there once. That thing hissed-made me think it was a shakeytail - so I high tailed it back to the truck. My two passengers never saw anything funnier/dumber in their lives.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 PM

434 posts, read 954,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Of course I was joking! I used to exit near there and take the shortcut via Baggs into CO. Accidentally peed on a bull snake there once. That thing hissed-made me think it was a shakeytail - so I high tailed it back to the truck. My two passengers never saw anything funnier/dumber in their lives.
We had a lot of bullsnakes who moved into our house in Wheatland in the autumn after the prev.owners moved out but were continuing the remodeling job on the old place before we could move in in Feb. Well, by that time at least a dozen (or more) bullsnakes had moved in. And MAN some of those puppies were HUGE. 8-10' long & my ex would wrap them around his arm & toss their tails over his shoulder or carry in other hand & I am not exaggerating when I saw the bodies of these babies were as big around as his forearm - he he wasn't a little guy. One of them he took out of the house hiss/yowled like a large cat!!!! I had NEVER heard a noise like that from a snake. Scared the living bejeezes outa' me - I hate snakes & living there I definitely decided they are there for target practice ONLY. I shot every one I saw for over 7 years. I would get chewed out by others because they "eat rattlesnakes" but they also ate my chicken eggs, were a threat to my very young children because of their size & their aggressiveness & I HATE snakes period. BET that took you by surprise.

I was heading towards Newcastle from Lead, SD in the Black Hills & got out in the middle of the night to pee & we were BARELY pulling back onto the road again & a lion ran out in front of our truck & so I KNOW he was right there watching me do my thing! Boy did MY heart stop at that moment!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 8,924,510 times
I have made the trip across I 80 several times from Cheyenne to Portland, OR. Last time was late last summer, starting point was Lubbock TX. I really enjoy the drive, is high altitude, always sunny but windy, very little traffic. And find it exhilarating as well as beautiful (maybe the altitude getting to me!). I usually try to make it to Utah or Idaho before stopping. Have also traveled I-70 and is way too crowded, large semi's.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I have made the trip across I 80 several times from Cheyenne to Portland, OR. Last time was late last summer, starting point was Lubbock TX. I really enjoy the drive, is high altitude, always sunny but windy, very little traffic. And find it exhilarating as well as beautiful (maybe the altitude getting to me!). I usually try to make it to Utah or Idaho before stopping. Have also traveled I-70 and is way too crowded, large semi's.
I'll find the websites - there are more semis per day going on I-80 from coast to coast & Wyo being mostly semis rather than cars than any other interstate in the nation. The real diff w/the semis is that on I-70 most of the way you can put a whole lane between you & the semi so you don't have the 'suction' & wind blast when you break out in front of the semi - esp on a windy day. My son is a diesel mechanic & worked for a garage which also did semi wreck recovery. He has seen some BAAADDD stuff on I-80 because there are several cars mixed up with 6-7 semis in a lot of the wrecks & the wrecks are bad due to the speed so many use to get thru the state because few feel the same as WE do about our scenery. I-80 is flat out the most dangerous interstate in the USA, and is documented on a national transportation safety site. I'll tell you what tho, from all he has seen, he is the ONLY person behind the wheel which I feel comfortable enuff to asleep while he drives. He's 27 & drives like he is 45. Very cautious & looks ahead & around constantly; not above stopping for a nap if he is not fully attentive. So, I still say for the safety of your family you STILL might consider I-70. Yeah - there is a lot of traffic but there are a lot more lanes for that traffic to get thru & GENERALLY is not near as windy as I-80 is more likely than not to be. Take it from those of us who have lived here for a LONG time.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 PM

My trip last year was relatively isolated and deserted, not many vehicles on the road at all that day.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Was DEFINITELY an "off day". In 40 years I can't BEGIN to count how many trips I've made across I-80. And my step-daughter is a traveling pharmacist based in Cheyenne who spent the whole winter traveling to work every week in EVanston, Rock Springs & Rawlins & TRY to get home every wknd (wasn't always successful) & then get back out to Rock Springs every Sunday. Was horrid for her - still is. Has had some VERY close calls on the highway & she is a very responsible driver - in her 30's. She has been going back & forth clear across the state for 8 months now at least once a week. Unfortunately when there are wrecks on I-80 they are often VERY large. A couple or 3 years ago there was a semi that caused an accident that ended up piling up something like 30 vehicles (semis, cars, trucks w/horse trailers, etc.) & many ppl were never identified. Many vehicles never identified because they were so badly burned & crushed. The pavement burned - ON FIRE - & large pieces of it had to be replaced. It was just east of Laramie. Ppl get very complacent going down the highway because is mostly so straight & monotonous in many places so ppl don't pay as great attention as they think - including the truckers. I will do anything possible to avoid I-80, from Neb thru Nev.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM

The time before last summer, I foolishly took I 80 in winter, with ice and snow. There were trucks on the road but they were going very slowly. I was very cautious and so just got in line with them. Don't know if that was a good idea or not, but did not want to be broadsided or get whipped over in their lane by the wind if I was passing. No more winter driving in the mountains for me!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:09 PM

The trick with winter on any highway during ground blizzards is watching out that you aren't going faster than others so you are SUDDENLY up on somebody's butt but fast enuff that you aren't that person in front of somebody else! And pulling off to the side is nearly more dangerous. Driving in Wyo in winter doesn't bother me because it is just what I'm used to but you really have to watch for signs of vehicles before you see the vehicles. In 1971 my first trip across I-80 was coming home from visiting a friend in Lyman & we had TOTAL white out blizzard from Rawlins (where my idiot ex locked the keys in the car). We had been successful up to THAT point at staying ahead of the HUGE storm we were just watching trying to catch up with us. From that point on it was terrifying. I was 14 (????) maybe 15. We were going to catch the hwy heading south to Ft. Collins (we lived in Littleton Colo for a few years during that time so that was our destination). So we wanted to pull off at Laramie & head south. HOWEVER!!!! The white out was SO BAD we missed BOTH Laramie exits!! Couldn't so much as see the lights! Yep - I told my ex when we DID finally move to Wheatland to work at the power plant before it was even on-line, "I hope you get the job but I sure don't want to move to Wyo in the winter...). Well gee - any guesses? You got it. In 1979 we moved (for the 2nd time) to Wyo over T'giving 1987 during the worst storm in recorded history. It took us 5 days to get from Littleton to Wheatland, a 3-4 hour drive. There were 102" drifts in Cheyenne. We had to go east on day #5 from Little America when I-80 East finally opened (was only way out of town) & we took it to Kimbal & then up to Scottsbluff. The sandhills had ONE LANE TOTAL opened up for traffic from both sides to share. We had an 18' long rental truck & I was dead arse drunk by 9 AM in pure fear. Drinking Jack straight up & finished a fifth within 3 hours. Was SURE we were going to die!!!!! But now I just go. Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming