U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 AM
 
4 posts, read 18,624 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Two questions, where is the "banana belt" area and if money was no object, where in WY would you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Reputation: 11132
Face of the Big Horns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Cody
434 posts, read 1,016,344 times
Reputation: 81
Banana belt is Cody!! And not 5 miles in any direction. We are protected by the mountains right at the border of the town.

Where would I live if I didn't care about the weather (which I could use more snow & cold personally....) many choices.
Wheatland
Newcastle
Cody
Torrington (not FAR from the Black Hills although are becoming too populated since
gambling legalized)
Buffalo
Sundance
Star Valley (if you can live with the mormon influence - that bothers many, but not
me - I love Afton & Alpine) Thayne is pretty OK too but not so much since they
closed the cheese plant...

Those are probably my fav places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Reputation: 11132
I haven't spent any time in Cody. I have a cousin that lives there. But I had no idea that Cody was in a little pocket. That's good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 02:17 AM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,043 posts, read 7,557,011 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
Banana belt is Cody!! And not 5 miles in any direction. We are protected by the mountains right at the border of the town.

Where would I live if I didn't care about the weather (which I could use more snow & cold personally....) many choices.
Wheatland
Newcastle
Cody
Torrington (not FAR from the Black Hills although are becoming too populated since
gambling legalized)
Buffalo
Sundance
Star Valley (if you can live with the mormon influence - that bothers many, but not
me - I love Afton & Alpine) Thayne is pretty OK too but not so much since they
closed the cheese plant...

Those are probably my fav places
I like your list of choices, but would also like to add Lusk and Pinedale to it for my choices. For a variety of reasons, I like those two towns in addition to those already listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 02:30 AM
 
Location: Cody
434 posts, read 1,016,344 times
Reputation: 81
I have had a personal issue with Lusk for 40 years - I used to be able to get all the way thru town w/o even breathing their air. LOL!!!! Was the redneck mentality there in the early 70's. Had 2-3 very frightening experiences there. A long time ago, I KNOW - and I actually have a nephew AND a niece & their fams living in Lusk now so have had to bite the bullet My niece is a guard at the women's prison. Pinedale is great too but not many jobs...Dubois isn't on that list for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 AM
 
8,177 posts, read 16,200,501 times
Reputation: 8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presley Pugston View Post
Two questions, where is the "banana belt" area and if money was no object, where in WY would you live?
You have asked two very different questions. Probably the "Banana Belt" climate in Wyoming--insofar as temperature in winter and summer, relatively low snowfall, etc.--is Torrington; though defining even it as "Banana Belt" is a stretch.

If money was no object, I would probably pick Afton in the Star Valley (but it certainly does NOT have a mild climate), or Sheridan. Though I spent several years living in SE Wyoming and liked it very much, Sheridan was my favorite town in Wyoming. Unfortunately, it is becoming another Rocky Mountain town that is being "loved to death" by a flood of transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Reputation: 11132
haha I know Jazzlover, It's hard to think of anything in Wyoming as "The Banana Belt."

However, I looked up the term and it defines Banana Belt as the "Best weather in the state." No standards, just better then the rest.

So by definition, in Wyoming, the "Banana Belt", could be -25 degrees, only 40 mph winds, and only a foot of snow. As long as every place else was worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,043 posts, read 7,557,011 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMama View Post
I have had a personal issue with Lusk for 40 years - I used to be able to get all the way thru town w/o even breathing their air. LOL!!!! Was the redneck mentality there in the early 70's. Had 2-3 very frightening experiences there. A long time ago, I KNOW - and I actually have a nephew AND a niece & their fams living in Lusk now so have had to bite the bullet My niece is a guard at the women's prison. Pinedale is great too but not many jobs...Dubois isn't on that list for the same reason.
I like Lusk because I found it to be a clean, well kept town when I was there. The appearance of the town was one of the major reasons I like it. I also have been to some beautiful places near there, so those were my reasons for liking it.

As for Pinedale, I like it because of all the lakes nearby, and the opportunities for fishing. Also, some of the area between Pinedale and Hoback Junction are incredibly beautiful, so those were my reasons for picking Pinedale.

In both cases, my reasons were very superficial, but I do like both towns for those reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Cody
434 posts, read 1,016,344 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I like Lusk because I found it to be a clean, well kept town when I was there. The appearance of the town was one of the major reasons I like it. I also have been to some beautiful places near there, so those were my reasons for liking it.

As for Pinedale, I like it because of all the lakes nearby, and the opportunities for fishing. Also, some of the area between Pinedale and Hoback Junction are incredibly beautiful, so those were my reasons for picking Pinedale.

In both cases, my reasons were very superficial, but I do like both towns for those reasons.
I had a couple of REALLY scary incidents in the 70's (I was a 70's teen & Wyo was REALLY redneck in those days - esp the most rural areas...like Lusk, and was about half the size it is now. I was surrounded by cowboys who were threatening me physically when I was 16 & a few years later when I was bringing my Cadette Girl Scout Troop home from camping in Custer Nat'l Park we stopped at the Safeway there to grab some things to make sandwiches. I had a 3 month old infant & 2 toddlers with me that I was carrying to the store. It was 20 minutes before the store was scheduled to close & I needed diapers BAD, milk, & finger food for my little guys. The manager trotted to the front door to lock it 20 kinutes before it was to close & would not let us in. There were only 5 teenagers - wasn't like I brought a giant group of unruly kids in - Just 1 set of parents with their kids & 5 teenage girls having a good time & he would NOT let us in. So, next place (going to Wheatland where we lived) was not until Guernsey (nothing open in Mansville in those days on Sunday afternoons) so my baby sat in crappy diapers & cried nearly all the way to Guernsey & we were ALL thristy & hungry for another 90 minutes when we were ALREADY dying of thirst & needing food in Lusk. We didn't have the $$$ to go to a restaurant. So, 2 really negative experiences there made me hate Lusk more & more each time. And there were a couple other less frightening or blatently unfriendly times but times that I was propositioned when I was 18 there by a farmer who liked my long hippie hair, blah blah blah. That was those days. But I agree it IS very clean & is a LOT nicer town than it was back then...Like I said, were totally personal seriously frightening & unfriendly things happening to me MYSELF there. Not heresay or just don't like the grasslands or rangeland around it - I actually don't mind it at all. But my niece has lived there about 5-6 years now w/her fam & really likes it, tho gets blistering hot in the summer. Is one of those places that has real polarized winter & summer temps/conditions. The hospital there is pretty small & somtimes w/o resident docs - are locum tenens ("rented" traveling docs) but many of those are new guys just trying to find where they want to settle & practice & others are those who closed private practices & want to still practice but not have the hassle of running a biz.

I agree with the amenities of Pinedale AND Dubois - beautiful & great places to spend weekends almost within walking distance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top