Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 79,326 times

Advertisements

My husband's job may move us to Jackson Hole, WY. We live at sea level on the gulf coast, but have lived in Boulder County, CO, so we're not completely new to the mountains, but I'm sure that is nothing like Jackson Hole. Anyway, do people live there or is it solely a tourist town? What is the weather like there, and is it a good place to raise kids? What about shopping and restaurants, health food stores? Can you grow a vegetable garden there? Do you have to worry about wildlife, like if my kids were outside playing, do I need to worry about bears or mountain lions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
This is a very tongue-in-cheek response (so no offense intended). Your biggest worry in Jackson Hole should be the cost of living (read: housing).

Old 10-06-2007, 11:33 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,178 times
maryg , I spent a couple of years in Jackson, years ago , It is a town like most others as far as having stores and homes but it also has a lot of tourists. It also has a lot of very rich residents so as said above the cost of living there may be a little high. The summers there ar short but nice. The town sits in a valley so the cold makes it's home there. I am sure you could grow a garden with short season crops or extend your season with a greenhouse. There is a big ski area right in town and the winters are cold with deep snow. Not much wind so that helps. You might try to get a hold of some of the local newspapers to see what has been going on there over the past few years. When we lived there I walked to school sometimes, about two miles, and never saw a wild animal.
Hope that helps?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I lived in JH for 17 years...I had a great veggie garden and lots of flowers. Strawberries grow great! The busy season is the summer and it's crazy busy. Jackson Hole the ski area is 13 miles out of town. Unless your way out of town griz are not a problem and there are a few mountain lions but stay on the refuge.

As mentioned, cost of housing is out of sight, rentals hard to come by. Many workers live over Teton Pass in Idaho and down in Star Valley thru Snake River Canyon.

The valley is beautiful, the Tetons breathtaking, lots of outdoor activities people come from all over the world to enjoy.
I took this shot several years ago but shows what a beautiful place Jackson is.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Wow, that is a spectacular photo! Thank you for sharing.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 45,371 times
I have lived in Jackson for over 10 years now, and yes, there is definitely a lot more to this town than the tourists. Housing like everyone has mentioned is the biggest issue that residents now face, and many young professionals are now buying in Star valley and Victor/Driggs over the pass in Idaho. Otherwise, if you truly enjoy small town living and the outdoors, (and winter), you will love it here. As far as the arts, the new Center for the Arts, Dancers Workshop, many new galleries, and endless festivals from June - October keep this town busy beyond the great skiing here.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Wow, that is a breathtaking photo! You must be a professional photographer! Thank you to everyone for the info, that helps tremendously! Glad to know gardening is good!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Wildlife can be a problem unless you take a few precautions. When your kids go out to play, dress them in bright colors. A mountain lion won't normally attack a human, but if the human is dressed in drab clothes or brown or tan, they might get confused and think it's a deer or an elk.

Tell the kids to talk to each other, make a little noise. They'll be fine. I've actually had a mountain lion drop down from a tree and make a run toward me. I flapped my arms and yelled (not sure if I was following the book or screaming like a little girl hahaha) but it worked. The lion got about 20 feet from me and veered off and run away. Yes, I was dressed in Carharts. If you're not familiar with them, they are a rich tan colored.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
As jaxlocal said there definately is a real community in the valley, in Jackson, and in Wilson. No diferent than anywhere really, other than your in one of the most beautiful places in the world. With the new awesome Arts Center the already very strong arts community is going to be even better for everyone to enjoy.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 PM

jgussler, just out of curiousity...my maiden name is gussler, are you related to gussler's from ashland, kentucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: